ECT The greatness of The Lord Jesus Christ

john w

Hall of Fame
During the Lord Jesus Christ's time, it was customary, during "teaching environments", that only the teachers would be given the honour of sitting.

Survey Matthew 13:1-2 KJV,Matthew 24:3 KJV,Matthew 26:55 KJV; Mark 2:6 KJV,Mark 4:1 KJV, Mark 9:35 KJV,Mark 12:41 KJV,Mark 13:3 KJV; Luke 4:20 KJV,Luke 5:3 KJV, Luke 5:17 KJV;John 8:2 KJV; Acts 13:14-15 KJV, Luke 16:13 KJV

And also notice in Matthew 5:1 KJV, traditionally referred to as "The Sermon on the Mount", in which "Hollywood" typically portrays the Lord Jesus Christ as standing, He is actually sitting down.

But notice:

Luke 2 KJV
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

And notice His age:

Luke 2 KJV
42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Truly is the Saviour "Wonderful"(Isaiah 9:6 KJV), truly is He "astonishing"(Matthew 7:28-29 KJV, Matthew 13:54 KJV, Matthew 22:33 KJV; Mark 1:22 KJV, Mark 6:2 KJV,Mark 10:24 KJV; Luke 2:46 KJV, Luke 4:32 KJV), and truly is He "Great", as it is written:

"Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable." Psalms 145:3 KJV

Amen....verily....

Aimiel

I never noticed that, very interesting.

The following is an excerpt from an article on House Church Network Association:

In Jesus' day the Bible was written on scrolls rather than in codex form as we have today (bound like a book). Further, these scrolls were handwritten on parchment or vellum (specially prepared animal skin). They were written on pages of the chosen material like a book, but then the pages were sewn together side by side (see figure). These scrolls were very costly to produce, since they were hand made, and therefore tended to be quite ornate. Because of the cost of producing these scrolls by hand, only the wealthiest synagogues could afford more than a couple of them. As a minimum, each synagogue would own a copy of the Torah scrolls (the first five books of the Bible) since they contained the law. Most synagogues would also have the Psalms. However, any other books a synagogue owned would be a luxury. Therefore, the reader of the scroll may have stood to read out of pride and respect for these rare works.

However, the most likely reason the reader of the sacred scrolls stood was for the reverence they had for the writings. The works of the prophets and great teachers of the past have always been elevated in reverence in the Israelite tradition, and the older the sources the higher the esteem. Moses was considered to be the father of the law, and his words and the words he attributed to God were looked upon with the highest reverence, thus emerged the preeminence of the Torah. However, all the sacred books in the Hebrew Bible were revered and therefore the reader stood as a sign of respect.

But why did they sit down to speak?

In the rabbinic tradition, scriptures were worth commenting on. Because scripture was important, it was imperative that the people be able to understand it and apply it to their lives. In fact, it may be from this tradition where we get the biblical sermons we hear in churches today. In any event, after the scriptures were read the speaker would sit down to offer his commentary and interpretation on the passage. By sitting down the people would know the reading of scripture was finished and the words spoken from that point originated with the speaker, not from the prophets and writers of old.

Jerry Shugart

According to you the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works so if you are right then the Lord Jesus cannot be believed because he told the Jews who lived under the law the following:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life"
(Jn.5:24).​

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (Jn.6:47).​

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die"
(Jn.11:25-26).​

You praise Him and then deny what He said!

oatmeal

During the Lord Jesus Christ's time, it was customary, during "teaching environments", that only the teachers would be given the honour of sitting.

Survey Matthew 13:1-2 KJV,Matthew 24:3 KJV,Matthew 26:55 KJV; Mark 2:6 KJV,Mark 4:1 KJV, Mark 9:35 KJV,Mark 12:41 KJV,Mark 13:3 KJV; Luke 4:20 KJV,Luke 5:3 KJV, Luke 5:17 KJV;John 8:2 KJV; Acts 13:14-15 KJV, Luke 16:13 KJV

And also notice in Matthew 5:1 KJV, traditionally referred to as "The Sermon on the Mount", in which "Hollywood" typically portrays the Lord Jesus Christ as standing, He is actually sitting down.

But notice:

Luke 2 KJV
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

And notice His age:

Luke 2 KJV
42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Truly is the Saviour "Wonderful"(Isaiah 9:6 KJV), truly is He "astonishing"(Matthew 7:28-29 KJV, Matthew 13:54 KJV, Matthew 22:33 KJV; Mark 1:22 KJV, Mark 6:2 KJV,Mark 10:24 KJV; Luke 2:46 KJV, Luke 4:32 KJV), and truly is He "Great", as it is written:

"Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable." Psalms 145:3 KJV

Amen....verily....

Good point, to take it one step further

When they read directly from scripture, they would stand, but when they taught, they would sit.

Luke 4:16-21

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Jesus Christ, as was the custom, stood to read the scriptures to show respect for the scriptures. He sat down to indicate that he was no longer reading from scripture but was commenting or teaching or communicating his understanding of the scripture

We see this in Nehemiah 8:4-8

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Good point, to take it one step further

When they read directly from scripture, they would stand, but when they taught, they would sit.

Luke 4:16-21

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Jesus Christ, as was the custom, stood to read the scriptures to show respect for the scriptures. He sat down to indicate that he was no longer reading from scripture but was commenting or teaching or communicating his understanding of the scripture

We see this in Nehemiah 8:4-8

My post stands, as I was taught in the DFW area, years ago, by one of the most knowledgeable Christians, re. "Jewish roots," Dr. Joel Young.