ECT The Gift of Eternal Life

Jerry Shugart

You are mistaken if you think the inward man has eternal life when the body can die.

Then tell me why John said the following words to those who have since died physically:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

Even though John told these believers that they had already been given eternal life you refuse to believe it. You obviously pick and choose which passages from the Bible you will believe and which ones you will deny.

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth"​
(2 Tim.3:7).​

oatmeal

Here we read that "eternal life" is a gift:

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Ro.6:23).​

In the following verse we read that those who received the Apostle John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life in the Lord Jesus:

"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

Despite the fact that this eternal life which John said that these believers had received is a "gift" there are many posters on this site who insist that in order for these Jews to receive this gift they had to endure to the end to receive this eternal life. If they are right then perhaps they will tell us why John told them that they already have eternal life in the Son.

These same people also say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved and receive this gift of eternal life apart from "works." But they never explain why these believers had to do "works" in order to receive this gift. They don't seem to realize that if one has to work to get the reward the reward cannot be classified as a "gift."

In fact, the Savior Himself told the Jews who lived under the law that the gift is received by faith and faith alone:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

Those who teach that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from "works" never give us their interpretation of the meaning of the Lord Jesus' words at John 5:24.

Why not?

Probably for the same reason that they will avoid this thread like the plague.

We must distinguish between the gospel period which describes, amnong other things, some of what Jesus Christ did to pay the price so that eternal life could be a gift, in contrast to this age of grace which is based on the completed works of Jesus' first earthly ministry. That is, in this age of grace, the gift of eternal life has already been purchased by the works of Jesus Christ

There is no contradiction whatsoever,