The error in the word ''cross''.

Truster

The word "stauros" occurs 27 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures(the 'New Testament') and in each case is mistranslated as cross.

Most people have been brought up to think of a cross, but they have been brought up in error. The scriptures state ‘cursed is he who hangs from a tree’’. Stauros answers to this as the stake or pale it is the central part of a tree with branches cut off.

History of the term cross is explained in Vine’s of which this is a summary:

"STAUROS....denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors ware nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo, to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross. The shape of the latter had it's origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used of the symbol of of the god Tammaz(being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name in that country and adjacent lands, including Egypt.

By the middle of the 3rd cent. A.D. the churches* had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration of faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in it's most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ"

There are people who climb on a lofty pedestal and make even loftier statements, but when they use words such as ''cross' I know for an absolute fact they don't understand what they are talking about and are just repeating the same old error.

*churches is another misrepresentation of what the original ecclesia means.

oatmeal

The word "stauros" occurs 27 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures(the 'New Testament') and in each case is mistranslated as cross.

Most people have been brought up to think of a cross, but they have been brought up in error. The scriptures state ‘cursed is he who hangs from a tree’’. Stauros answers to this as the stake or pale it is the central part of a tree with branches cut off.

History of the term cross is explained in Vine’s of which this is a summary:

"STAUROS....denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors ware nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo, to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross. The shape of the latter had it's origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used of the symbol of of the god Tammaz(being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name in that country and adjacent lands, including Egypt.

By the middle of the 3rd cent. A.D. the churches* had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration of faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in it's most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ"

There are people who climb on a lofty pedestal and make even loftier statements, but when they use words such as ''cross' I know for an absolute fact they don't understand what they are talking about and are just repeating the same old error.

*churches is another misrepresentation of what the original ecclesia means.

Stauros indeed refers to post or stake, Jesus was not nailed to a t shaped object, but a stake or post.

Truster

Was Jesus crucified? Does it really matter stake or cross?

Humpty Dumpty said ''words mean what I want them to mean'' is that what you're saying?

I'm a consultant in legal services and I can tell you for a fact that words and what they mean is vital.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Humpty Dumpty said ''words mean what I want them to mean'' is that what you're saying?

I'm a consultant in legal services and I can tell you for a fact that words and what they mean is vital.

Check the edited post. It may satisfy your interest.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can imagine the RCC casting out demons by a plain piece of straight wood.

Man the demons would be scared of that.

LA

Truster

I can imagine the RCC casting out demons by a plain piece of straight wood.

Man the demons would be scared of that.

LA

At the moment they cast out demons with a pagan T so the demons must be having a laugh.

I was traveling around China a few years ago and was informed that they let off fire crackers to frighten demons off....same pagan stupidity.

Truster

Is this just a language nerd complaint or is there some theological significance here?

If you are blind to the spiritual significance in receiving the correct words as given by the Holy Spirit I shan't try and explain.

Truster

So then, Truster, what does it mean to take up your stake and follow Yeshua? :)

What I'm pointing out is that people will believe any error if it's repeated often enough. That they just accept what they are told and they don't even know the true meaning of words they so readily use.

You for instance have accepted yeshua when it is in fact Yah Shua which being translated means salvation of Yah hence the term Yah and not Yeh.

daqq

What I'm pointing out is that people will believe any error if it's repeated often enough. That they just accept what they are told and they don't even know the true meaning of words they so readily use.

You for instance have accepted yeshua when it is in fact Yah Shua which being translated means salvation of Yah hence the term Yah and not Yeh.

I simply asked a question which had everything to do with your topic. How you get "Yah Shua" from Yesu or Yeshu is beyond me but apparently to you it is not beyond your topic. Therefore I will happily take up my fence post and parable somewhere else, (we are building a fence to keep out the heathen and the wicked). :crackup:

:sheep:

False Prophet

σταυρός
the crosspiece of a Roman cross; the cross-beam (Latin, patibulum) placed at the top of the vertical member to form a capital "T." "This transverse beam was the one carried by the criminal" (Souter).

Christ was crucified on a literal Roman cross (4716 /staurós). 4716 /staurós ("cross") is also used figuratively for the cross (sacrifice) each believer bears to be a true follower-of-Christ (Mt 10:38, 16:24, etc.). The cross represents unspeakable pain, humiliation and suffering – and ironically is also the symbol of infinite love! At the cross, Jesus won our salvation – which is free but certainly not cheap! For more discussion on the untold suffering of Christ on the cross see 4717 /stauróō ("to crucify on a cross"). Strongs