THE ELECT

DougE

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

From the verses above it can be seen that Jesus Christ is the elect.

Isaiah 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Isaiah 65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Israel also is called the elect of God. Elect also means chosen. God chose Israel. Through Israel would come salvation to the ends of the world.

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

God will shorten the tribulation for the elect's sake, Israel. The body of Christ is also called the elect but could not be in view in Mark 13:20 because it had not yet been revealed to Paul.

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

I understand that in 2 Timothy Paul is speaking of the Jews. Paul endures all things that the Jews may also be saved. Paul's desire was to see his brethren, Israel, saved.

Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

The body of Christ is called elect because we have been chosen in Christ by God's election of grace, through faith.