Sweden is about to add a gender-neutral pronoun to its official dictionary

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Sweden is about to add a gender-neutral pronoun to its official dictionary by Rick Noack ] "In the Egalia, a preschool in Stockholm, there are no male or female students. Instead, all children are referred to as 'hen' – a gender-neutral pronoun that has become so established in Sweden that it will be recognized next month in the newest edition of the country's official dictionary.

The Swedish Academy's SAOL dictionary, which is updated every 10 years and will be republished April 15, will feature 'hen' as an alternative to the male pronoun 'han' and the female 'hon.' The revised edition will also include thousands of other new words.

According to linguistic expert Sofia Malmgård, the gender-neutral term can be used in two ways. "First, if the gender is unknown or not relevant (as in: "If anyone needs to smoke, 'hen' may do so outside"). Second, it can be used as a pronoun for inter-gender people (as in: "Kim is neither boy or girl, 'hen' is inter-gender")," she explained.

To many Swedes, the decision of the Swedish Academy reflects how quickly their society has embraced gender-neutral language. "Over the last few years, the word 'hen' has more and more found its way into the Swedish language," Malmgård told The Washington Post.

Five years ago, barely anyone in Sweden was aware of the word. The decision to now include 'hen' in the authoritative SAOL dictionary is expected to facilitate an even more frequent use of it in everyday conversations. Set up in 1785, the academy was established with the aim to adapt the Swedish languages to changing cultural and societal influences – a role the institution still feels committed to.

According to experts, the 'hen'-revolution in Sweden has two primary origins: LGBT groups have promoted the pronoun as a way to raise awareness for their cause. However, support for the idea has also come from a more unexpected side: Nurseries, kindergartens and preschools such as Egalia increasingly argue that the pronoun's usage allows children to grow up without feeling the impact of gender biases. "The public debate over the pronoun actually only started after the publication of the country's first gender-neutral children's book", Lann Hornscheidt, an professor of Scandinavian languages and gender studies at Berlin's Humboldt University explained." Sweden is about to add a gender-neutral pronoun to its official dictionary Mt 19:4

"You were not born a male :scripto: but you were born a homosexual. :scripto: Figure that one out." :AMR: ~ Bob Enyart

Homosexuality is: forbidden (Lev. 18:22), considered an abomination (1 Kin. 14:24), punishment for (Lev. 20:13), unclean (Rom. 1:24, 26, 27). :vomit:

rexlunae

I know it's one of your watch-words, but I'm pretty sure this has next to nothing to do with homosexuality. Gender-neutral pronouns are needed to talk about things without presuming gender and without resorting to the grammatical travesty of "he or she" or "him or her" when gender is unknown or unspecified (i.e. "What did he or she say?"). Beyond that, it could have some implications for the transgendered, but that's likely a secondary reason for it.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
...Gender-neutral pronouns are needed to talk about things without presuming gender and without resorting to the grammatical travesty of "he or she" or "him or her" when gender is unknown or unspecified (i.e. "What did he or she say?")...

Because saying "What did the hen say?" won't cause any confusion! Talking chickens now.:chicken:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a travesty when applied to humans, but it will be useful when applied to objects--things that don't have an actual gender and it will prevent travesties when using translators into English and other languages.