Sometimes, it looks like he's trying to lose.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
President Donald Trump effectively killed any chance of a new coronavirus relief package ahead of the presidential election when he tweeted Tuesday that he wouldn't agree to a deal until "after I win."
Trump then praised the state of the economy, pointing to the stock market, unemployment and recent job gains. In the minutes after his tweet, the Dow Jones Industrial Average
plunged by more than 400 points.
Trump slammed the door on a pre-election deal hours
after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said more stimulus to the economy is necessary, saying the recovery has "a long way to go."

Pointing to promising recent economic developments, Powell said easing up on added relief could "lead to a weak recovery, creating unnecessary hardship for households and businesses."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...s-talks-tweets-no-deal-until-after-i-n1242312

The stock market, which had been propped up by distant hopes of a stimulus deal, immediately plummeted. The malpractice, for a guy who’s already facing the worst deficit in a presidential race since Bob Dole in 1996, is staggering to me. It’s not like Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin were on the precipice of a deal, but they were making marginal progress. I guess, what strikes you as most incredible here? That he’s willingly crashing the stock market and the economy a few weeks before Election Day? That he’s assigning himself direct blame for the collapse in negotiations by announcing that he has ended them? That he’s boosting Democrats’ message that Republicans are too focused on ramming through a SCOTUS nominee instead of fixing the economy? That his tweet about the stock market being at record levels sent markets spiraling? Where do we begin with this?
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...lus-negotiation-democrats-pelosi-mnuchin.html

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Can't help but wonder if it had more to do with playing the market. "Pssst. I'm gonna send out a tweet. Cover your shorts!"

Everything's about the market for him. Lying about Covid numbers was about the market. He waited until the market closed to go to Walter Reed, timed his return to the White House for futures opening (and the evening news).

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But the economy was the last thing he had going in his favor. It was starting to recover, albeit slowly. This is going to badly damage it. I almost think he's realized that he's going to lose the election,and is now seeing how much damage he can do until January.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But the economy was the last thing he had going in his favor. It was starting to recover, albeit slowly. This is going to badly damage it. I almost think he's realized that he's going to lose the election,and is now seeing how much damage he can do until January.

That could be, just maybe he doesn't realize that's what he's doing because it appears he's only using the lizard part of his brain now.

No frontal lobe executive function going on there, no capacity to play "4-D chess." Just setting the chessboard on fire because he can, even if he only has a dull memory of why.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That could be, just maybe he doesn't realize that's what he's doing because it appears he's only using the lizard part of his brain now.

No frontal lobe executive function going on there, no capacity to play "4-D chess." Just setting the chessboard on fire because he can, even if he only has a dull memory of why.

His behavior of late does seem to be inexplicably bone-headed.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
An idea being floated is this is McConnell's doing. He has no intention of passing the stimulus, he can see Trump's not going win so he throws Trump under the bus now so he can concentrate on ramming through the SC confirmation. Makes sense. McConnell's Machiavellian brain is still working, he's been busy all along and he's not going to quit now.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
McConnell is no fool, although he's completely amoral. He sees his power about to be lost, and he's doing what he can, now. Next Congress is likely to see him out of the driver's seat.

I imagine he detests Trump for forcing him to grovel. But he can't win without kissing Donald's ring.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trump flip-floped again. Now, he's open to another stimulus. The steroids talking? We can't say; he's acting irrationally and unpredictably. God help us if we have an international crisis right now.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The amoral ones are those who support the party which does everything in their power to make sure that as many of the unborn are aborted as possible.

The amoral ones are those who support a candidate who gave his girlfriend money to kill his unborn child. Know who that is, Jerry? Yep. Trump. You support him?