Smithsonian Map Shows US Military Operating in More Than 40%

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
and as far as tanks moving north? probably not gonna go so well for the sorks in that scenario - the norks have had what - 60 years? - to build tank traps and lay minefields, etc

The Berean

artillery and ground forces (and it's important to distinguish between field artillery and mobile artillery, as you point out)

about 1 million active military personnel and an additional 5 million reserves

it would be difficult to see the South Koreans develop the will to match that internally
I guess it comes down to what is the point of North Korea "invading" the South? The South is one of the richest nations on Earth. It's has a very high standard of living and a thriving economy. What would North Korea gain by invading and destroying the South Korean infrastructure? One more thing. Both nations signed an agreement in 2001 to work towards reunification. They are still one group of people with a strong connection culturally.

Also, all South Korean males are required to serve two years in the military. So the South has a large group of young men to call on if needed.

Last edited:

Kit the Coyote

I've talked with some of the military people particularly intel folks who have been stationed in South Korea and what they tell me is South Korea surpassed the North on the qualitative edge some time ago. The North has more men in the field but their equipment is antiquated junk and if it came to open conflict the South would dominate the field. One the recent defectors who crossed the border was a soldier and he was in terrible health, riddled with parasites and other medical conditions that indicate very poor quality of life in the North Korean Army and they get the priority on resources.

The only real issue as far as the South if open war breaks out is there is nothing they can do about the massive amount of artillery and rockets that will rain down on Seoul and level the city.

Really the only reason they still need the US forces there is to provide a guarantee that if open war breaks out we will be there to support them in long run in case China decides to get involved again. And of course, it gives us a forward operating base near China.

ok doser

I've talked with some of the military people particularly intel folks who have been stationed in South Korea and what they tell me is South Korea surpassed the North on the qualitative edge some time ago. The North has more men in the field but their equipment is antiquated junk and if it came to open conflict the South would dominate the field. One the recent defectors who crossed the border was a soldier and he was in terrible health, riddled with parasites and other medical conditions that indicate very poor quality of life in the North Korean Army and they get the priority on resources.

The only real issue as far as the South if open war breaks out is there is nothing they can do about the massive amount of artillery and rockets that will rain down on Seoul and level the city.

Really the only reason they still need the US forces there is to provide a guarantee that if open war breaks out we will be there to support them in long run in case China decides to get involved again. And of course, it gives us a forward operating base near China.

from what i've read, seoul is at the extreme range of their capabilities and probably would be hit hard but not destroyed

Right Divider

Body part
right, pocket change compared to what the allies spent last time

cheap insurance
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...expenditure-in-2016-infographic/#af332d043f32
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F04%2F20170424_Military_Expenditure.jpg

ok doser

if ya wanna be #1, ya gotta pay for it :idunno:

haven't done the numbers in a while, but this is the boat my son's on:
300px-USS_John_C._Stennis%2C_2007May11.jpg

and this is how it goes out:
csg3_coverphoto.jpg

the operating cost for just that one carrier group is $2.5 million a day

and there's 11 of them

that's 10 billion a year just to operate the carrier groups

The Berean

if ya wanna be #1, ya gotta pay for it :idunno: