Public school enrollment dropping

Gary K

Banned
In 4 school districts around the nation 17,000+ students have not returned to public schools, and in a 5th district a $25 million shortfall was created from the drop in enrollment. I would love to see the drop in enrollment numbers nation wide as home schooling is putting a hurt on the public school system.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
IMG_20230508_092807.jpg

As students first came back to in-person learning, many dealt with mental health struggles and behavioral issues, Upper Darby Superintendent Daniel McGarry said. Officials saw a breakdown in students respecting the authority of teachers in the classroom.

“We had a lot of those things that we were facing and we’re still working our way through it; we’re in a much better place,” McGarry said. “I think our kids feel better. They’re not 100% better." But, he said, much of the social anxiety students felt after being in online school has dissipated.

During the pandemic, soaring numbers of high school students expressed persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness, with girls and LGBTQ+ youth reporting the highest levels of poor mental health and suicide attempts. It doesn't help that research suggests middle and high school students aren't getting enough sleep.

“These mental health challenges are already going to happen and then, with the absence of sleep, are much worse,” said Orfeu Buxton, director of the Sleep, Health & Society Collaboratory at Penn State University. “The same with decision making, suicidal ideation, those kinds of things.”

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm so glad I'm not still in education. Covid shutdowns and distance learning have created a generation of children who are going to be struggling for the rest of their lives.