Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by *Acts9_12Out*

geralduk & granite,

Here's what you two say,

geralduk - But what CALVIN said WAS and IS true.
and nor should we set his words aside lightly.

So if you must not read calvin and it is not nescesary that you do(though it is profitable)
Then STUDY the scriptures not get your theology from another scource.
and if you would judge calvin then by the SAME SPIRIT you also will be judged.
Far better then to TEST THE SPIRIT wether it be of God or not.
of CALVIN or any other.

granite - To paraphrase Spurgeon, if anyone asks me if I'm a Calvinist, I tell them I just want to be called a Christian; but if you ask if I support the teachings of John Calvin, I hold them to be scripturally true and rejoice in them.

Calvin's teachings Scripturally true? Here are a few quotes from Calvin... Notice how much Scripture he uses...

Calvin's Institutes--Ages Digital Library Version 5, Book 3

Page 1056 - Those, therefore, whom God passes by he reprobates, and that for no other cause but because he is pleased to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines to his children.

Page 1068 - As all who are of the number of the reprobate are vessels formed unto dishonor, so they cease not by their perpetual crimes to provoke the anger of God against them, and give evident signs of the judgement which God has already passed upon them; so far is it from being true that they vainly contend against it.

Page 1065 - ...when we say, that God, according to the good pleasure of his will, without any regard to merit, elects those whom he chooses for sons, while he rejects and reprobates others...It is asked, how it happens that of the two, between whom there is no difference of merit, God in his election adopts the one, and passes by the other?...when God elects one and rejects another, it is owing not to any respect to the individual, but entirely to his own mercy which is free to display and exert itself when and where he pleases.

Page 1077 - When he first shines with the light of his word on the undeserving, he gives a sufficiently clear proof of his free goodness. Here, therefore, boundless goodness is displayed, but not so as to bring all to salvation, since a heavier judgement awaits the reprobate for rejecting the evidence of his love, God also, to display his own glory, withholds from them the effectual agency of his Spirit....And he acts not according to the gratitude of each, but according to his election.

Calvin himself says God chooses men to hell. God reprobates certain men "because He is pleased to exclude them..." Do you guys really believe this garbage? I haven't heard any supporters of Calvin argue these points. Why not? You are saying Calvin's teachings are grounded in Scripture? Where does God's word ever say He "reprobates some because He is pleased to exclude them from the inheritance..." Where does the Bible say God "elects thoses whom He chooses as sons and passes by and reprobates others?" Maybe you guys have a different Bible?

--Jeremy

:first:
context

Status
Not open for further replies.