Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by philosophizer

Here are some highlights of the testimonies from post #1 that seemed to stick out.

This music eventually led to rebellion and moral failures.
In other words, It's not my fault, the Rock n Roll made me do it! There's no escaping accountability. If you stumble on Rock music, then by all means, REFRAIN. But, you can't blame the rock that trips you for your fall. It's merely your fault that you weren't paying more attention to where you were going.

Rock is wrong and addictive and has contributed to my moral failure.
Contributed? Okay, then it is only a contributor and not a cause. There are many other factors involved, some of which would not be harmful in other situations.

I can see how it has affected the lives of some who at one time were my closest friends. I still enjoy easy classical music, but they are into heavy worldly rock and the lifestyle that goes with it.
**emphasis mine**

The "lifestyle that goes with it" seems to be the real problem. If you can't separate that lifestyle from the music, then by all means, don't listen to the music. But many people can and do separate the lifestyle from the music. It's not a double standard, it's just two completely different things.

I began to listen to 'Christian rock' without the blessing of my father. He told me that if I listened to 'Christian rock' it would open the door for Satan. I just laughed, and listened anyway.
This teen already had rebellion in mind. He didn't respectfully discuss it with his father. He didn't study and make his own case for it. He didn't test it according to the Word. He seems to have listened just because his father said not to.

You can't blame Rock for a rebellion that was already within you.

When I got into 'Christian' and secular rock, I went out from under my father's protection. I lost sleep, was rebellious, had a rotten attitude, and made life miserable for my parents. I also had major impure thoughts.
I'm sincerely glad this kid is now "out of rock music." But let's get real. A man entertains whatever he allows. Rock music doesn't make you behave any certain way. There's no way anyone can reasonably say that it does. Same goes for rap, country, folk, classical, and church hymns.

Christian rock' has hindered my life because the only difference between 'Christian rock' and secular rock is the words. The beat, rhythm, and the melody are not different; they are the same.
So it's not the words at all? It's the beat, rhythm, and melody? It's the music itself?

That doesn't even make any sense. Music is just a patterned arrangement of sound waves. Sound waves are just vibrating particles of air. Can vibrating air molocules make you behave any certain way, good or bad? No chance.

Even 'Christian rock' sometimes makes me feel like going out and getting rowdy or even hurting someone else if they provoke me, and that is against all of God's teachings, and everything God stands for. So get rid of all rock!!!
Great! This person should, indeed, get rid of all rock. But that's not universal. And even with this specific person, Rock is not to blame.

We've gotta be honest with ourselves and not shirk our responsibilities. There's no blaming anyone or anything for what you do except you yourself.

It was not long until my desire grew to 'hard rock' and 'progressive' stuff. I started getting into drinking and going to dance clubs. Minor recreational drugs came in and soon my life was going down the drain.
Once again, there is a "lifestyle" that some people attribute to rock music. Those people believe the two are inseparable. This is just not true. A "lifestyle" is a set of actions with a certain direction. Those actions are performed by human beings. What gives any human being the right to blame anything or anyone other than themself for any action they perform?

Christian rock' was a big part of my life about six months ago. It totally consumed me. I lived in the bondage of this music and the bondage of the music of my friends' preference, which was not very good either, to say the least. I realized that this ungodly music did not glorify God and never will.
This teen said he was in "the bondage of the music of [his] friends' preference." So why is it the music's fault? Sound like this is just a case of peer pressure and a teen who lacked the self esteem to express what his true preferences are.

Christians do not take drugs to witness to drug users, and we do not convert to worldly habits to identify with the world. So I saw no reason to use worldly music with Christian words so that I could minister to the world!
This statement makes a clear logical mistake. That is equating music with drugs or any number of bad or sinful things. This person assumes that rock (or at least, music with a fast beat) is wrong. And from there, he jumps to comparing it to drugs. But where's the proof that Rock is wrong?

The point is, this is all just the old game of "The devil made me do it." That excuse does not fly in court, it won't fly in God's judgement, and there's no proof or logic behind it whatsoever.

Some people have tendencies that will cause them to stumble. To some people, rock music is one of them, to others alcohol. If I have a friend who has renounced rock, I would do what I can to not play rock in his presense, just as I would try not to drink around an alcoholic. That's out of loving the friend, keeping them from stumbling, and respecting their tendencies and weaknesses.

But none of that means that anyone is not held accountable for their own actions-- rock music or no.

:first:
Context

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:up:

I was going to make that POTD, but I didn't have time.

That's why we keep Poly around.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

:up:

I was going to make that POTD, but I didn't have time.

That's why we keep Poly around.
It's good to be needed for something. :D

I always know that if I have a POTD in mind I'd better hurry and post it or you'll get it.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Status
Not open for further replies.