Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sold Out said:
I am SOOO dealing with this issue right now! My sister-in-law is gay. When she came out, I took her to the scriptures and warned her of the consequences of her lifestyle. She says she is a Christian. Fast forward to last Xmas, she wanted to bring her gothic girlfriend to family get together at our house We said no (we have children). She got upset and attacked my Chrisitanity via email. I let her have it. The twist is my mother-in-law lives with us. She goes to see her (girlfriend there too) and recently we were not invited to a get together involving mutual friends. I told my mother-in-law that I love God more than anyone, and I'll stand up for what's right.

Last Sunday at church our pastor preached a sermon on prodigal parenting, and how more mothers need love God more than their children and stop enabling them to screw up their lives. My mother-in-law was none too happy. She even chose to spend Mother's Day with her gay daughter instead of visiting her 80 yr old mother.

God's word says we should not even eat with a someone who calls themselves a Christian and sins sexually. ( I Corinthians 5:9-11) My sister-in-law will die an early death for her sin, but I'm the only one who's had the spine to warn her. I don't care if she ever speaks to me again - because I don't owe her anything. My allegiance is to God alone.

Context

It's hard to do the right thing sometimes but it's encouraging when we get to hear how people do it anyway. :up:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm curios as to whether or not my uncle, my mom's brother, invited his sister, my aunt, to his upcoming wedding. He's a Christian, and she's gay. She has a girlfriend, and I would expect that if he invited his sister that her girlfriend would be expected to come with her.

Carver

This may sound like I'm not taking the Bible as seriously as I should, but I can't agree with this. Family is family. My kid brother can grow up and become a mass murderer if he wants to (though I certainly hope he doesn't), and even so, I will visit him in prison. The two most heinous crimes (in my opinion) are rape and pedophilia. Even were a member of my family to commit those crimes, and do so totally unrepentantly - they are still family. But that's just me.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Of course they're still family. But that doesn't make what they did right. And pretending they didn't do it, or that it's okay isn't going to help them. If you want them to repent, make sure they know they need to. Whatever that takes.

Carver

I agree with you - except that last sentence. There are certain lengths to which I will not go. I will never stop talking to a family member because they are homosexual, or any other sin. Even should they become a Satanist, they are still my family, and I will treat them as such.

By the way, I guess it goes without saying that whatever I do say to them will be polite, and most definitely not belligerent or rude. That's just not my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.