• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay all. Here's the scoop. I have a friend who wants to arrange a scholarship for college/trade school-bound homeschoolers. He asked me to ask homeschoolers and their parents if they'd be willing to accept a two to four year scholarship under the following conditions:

1. The student can choose any college or trade school they want.
2. The only original requirements is that the potential recipients of the scholarship is
that they are homeschooled and that they write an essay explaining what they
want to do with their lives.
3. After the first semester is over, the requirements change. In order to keep the
scholarship past the first semester, the recipients must maintain a 3.0 gpa or
higher.

This will never have to be repaid. This person wants to help out homeschoolers because he's met so many of them and liked them, and because he's seen the hoops that they have to jump through to get into college.

I'd like responses from both students and parents on this. And, if you don't mind, please discuss the reason/s for you answer.

Thanks, everyone! :D

The Berean

There's nothing wrong with those requirements. I wish I was homeschooled as a kid. I would take the shcolarship...

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I'm correct (I have to talk to my friend first), the amount will vary depending on what the student wants to do (i.e. college or trade school) and where the student wants to attend.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. My friend asked me to do this for him. He thinks that too many people will say, "Okay. What's the catch?"

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christine, my friend hasn't decided when he's going to do this. But, I will let you know when he does. I'm also looking at it for :jessilu: later in life.

Christine

ebenz47037 said:
Christine, my friend hasn't decided when he's going to do this. But, I will let you know when he does. I'm also looking at it for :jessilu: later in life.
:thumb: Keep me abreast, :nori: I'm starting college in a few weeks, though. Would this just be a program for graduating homeschoolers not yet in college?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christine said:
:thumb: Keep me abreast, :nori: I'm starting college in a few weeks, though. Would this just be a program for graduating homeschoolers not yet in college?

I don't know yet. He asked me if I thought homeschoolers would accept it or not and I told him I'd find out.

Elaine

I certainly wouldn't have anything against any of the requirements. I might not be that crazy about the essay part, but that's no big deal.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay. Here is what he's said so far (I talked to him for a while today):

I would like to do this for four or five homeschoolers every year. If the scholarship is continuing, it will come out to around four or five homeschoolers every two to four years. I am talking about getting a certificate of completion in a trade school or a four year degree. If they want to go further with their educations than that, I will be willing to help depending on grade point average and a discussion via mail or e-mail with that student.

I will probably set up a foundation, so to speak, for this. It will be called The Homeschool Scholarship Program or something similar. The foundation will have a website, e-mail address, and mailing address (most likely a post office box). Right now, I'm leaning toward not making my name known because I get enough phone calls, e-mails, and letters asking me for money as it is. Although I want to do this, I don't want to keep being contacted and feeling bad because I didn't choose one or two people and I chose others.

I haven't decided if I'll do this for homeschoolers who are already in college yet. I may offer them a partial scholarship the first time they apply and then have them compete for the full scholarship with an essay for the following term. And, after that term, they would just have to keep their grades up. I will decide on this once I get everything set up.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bumping up to the top of the page before I get off the computer for the night (hopefully). :)