ECT Our Lord never patches up our natural virtues

Cross Reference

Quoting Oswald Chambers who writes, "our Lord never patches up our natural virtues, he remakes the whole man on the inside."

How true is that statement? Assuming the new birth, how true can it be if the Lord doesn't have our complete allegiance?

Knowing that God's promises to us are all conditional, based upon our obedience to his word not unlike what Jesus exampled for us when in his wilderness experience dealing with Satan, many will still declare we are complete in him simply by repeating the sinners prayer and accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior. They will use scripture verses to make fit their contentions all the while dismissing the teaching that God is preparing for himself a "glorious bride without spot or wrinkle". I wonder how they suppose that's going to happen without corrections being made to our natural lives many will call "works salvation"? The test always has to do with what we set our affections upon.

nikolai_42

Quoting Oswald Chambers who writes, "our Lord never patches up our natural virtues, he remakes the whole man on the inside."

How true is that statement? Assuming the new birth, how true can it be if the Lord doesn't have our complete allegiance?

Knowing that God's promises to us are all conditional, based upon our obedience to his word not unlike what Jesus exampled for us when in his wilderness experience dealing with Satan, many will still declare we are complete in him simply by repeating the sinners prayer and accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior. They will use scripture verses to make fit their contentions all the while dismissing the teaching that God is preparing for himself a "glorious bride without spot or wrinkle". I wonder how they suppose that's going to happen without corrections being made to our natural lives many will call "works salvation"? The test always has to do with what we set our affections upon.

Can't agree that all God's promises to us are conditional. That would mean the foundation, ultimately, is (to some degree) resting on us. If we build on anything but Christ, it is sand.

That said, your proposition sounds similar to the Tyndale quote I use in my sig.

oatmeal

Ephesians 2:1-3 describes our state before we were saved.

Not sure what kind of natural virtues we could have if we were dead in trespasses and sins....

Cross Reference

Can't agree that all God's promises to us are conditional. That would mean the foundation, ultimately, is (to some degree) resting on us. If we build on anything but Christ, it is sand.

The tiny prep "IF" is used over 600 times in the NT. Over 1000 times in the OT. Heres an example:

"To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. . . . . . . That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;. . . . . And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard , and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Colossians 1:2, 10, 21-23 (KJV)

Why not read the whole chapter?