ECT Oswald Chambers– My Top 25 Favorite Quotes

Cross Reference

Oswald Chambers– My Top 25 Favorite Quotes

The only right a Christian has is the right to give up his rights.

Character in a saint means the disposition of Jesus Christ persistently manifested.

Leave the broken, irreversible past in God’s hands, and step out into the invincible future with Him.

Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.

Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading.
All of God’s people are ordinary people who have been made extraordinary by the purpose he has given them.

God never gives us discernment in order that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.

The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.

If through a broken heart God can bring His purposes to pass in the world, then thank Him for breaking your heart.

Suffering is the heritage of the bad, of the penitent, and of the Son of God. Each one ends in the cross. The bad thief is crucified, the penitent thief is crucified, and the Son of God is crucified. By these signs we know the widespread heritage of suffering.

Many of us suffer from temptations from which we have no business to suffer.

When you are in the dark, listen, and God will give you a very precious message
Prayer does not equip us for greater works – prayer is the greater work.

There is no need to get to a place of prayer; pray wherever you are.

If we think of prayer as the breath of our lungs and the blood from our hearts, we think rightly. The blood flows and the breathing continues – we are not conscious of it but it is always going on.

Prayer is the vital breath of the Christian; not the thing that makes him alive, but the evidence that he is alive.

Watch your motive before God; have no other motive in prayer than to know Him.

It is impossible to live the life of a disciple without definite times of secret prayer. You will find that the place to enter in is in your business, as you walk along the streets, in the ordinary ways of life, when no one dreams you are praying, and the reward comes openly, a revival here, a blessing there.

The prayer of the feeblest saint who lives in the Spirit and keeps right with God is a terror to Satan. The very powers of darkness are paralyzed by prayer; no spiritualistic seance can succeed in the presence of a humble praying saint. No wonder Satan tries to keep our minds fussy in active work till we cannot think in prayer.

If God sees that my spiritual life will be furthered by giving the things for which I ask, then He will give them, but that is no the end of prayer. The end of prayer is that I come to know God Himself.

Our prayers are heard, not because we are in earnest, not because we suffer, but because Jesus suffered.

Whenever the insistence is on the point that God answers prayer, we are off the track. The meaning of prayer is that we get hold of God, not of the answer.

We are not made for the mountains, for sunrises, or for the other beautiful attractions in life – those are simply intended to be moments of inspiration. We are made for the valley and the ordinary things of life and that is where we have to prove our stamina and strength.

Patience is more than endurance. A saint’s life is in the hands of God like a bow and arrow in the hands of an archer. God is aiming at something the saint cannot see, and He stretches and strains, and every now and again the saint says–‘I cannot stand anymore.’ God does not heed, He goes on stretching till His purpose is in sight, then He lets fly. Trust yourself in God’s hands. Maintain your relationship to Jesus Christ by the patience of faith. ‘Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.

At times God puts us through the discipline of darkness to teach us to heed Him. Song birds are taught to sing in the dark, and we are put into the shadow of God’s hand until we learn to hear Him.

theophilus

Henry Varley to Dwight L. Moody (Dublin, 1872):

"The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him." . . . A man! Varley meant any man. Varley didn't say he had to be educated, or brilliant, or anything else. Just a man. Well, by the Holy Spirit in me I'll be that man (quoted in John Pollock, Moody: The Biography [ Chicago : Moody, 1963, 1983], 115, author's italics).

:)