Multiple Media Meltdowns Over Virginia Election

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Multiple Media Meltdowns Over Virginia Election

Because I don't watch TV news at all, I wondered who actually watches cable news shows anymore? My first reaction was probably only senior citizens so I looked around and found this:

Screen-Shot-2021-11-05-at-1-22-05-PM.png

The clipped image is blurry, so here's the link: https://www.statista.com/statistics/742225/frequency-of-watching-cable-news-in-the-us-age/

Of most interest are the "daily" and "never" categories. So, if no one clipped short segments of these shows to put on social media, how much exposure would they even get?

Reading Heather Cox Richardson's take on the VA election:

The Virginia governor’s race almost always goes against whichever party is in the White House; indeed, journalist Eric Boehlert, who studies the press, noted that this pattern is so well established that in 2009, during President Barack Obama’s first term in office, when Democrats lost the races for governor of New Jersey and Virginia, the New York Times published only a single piece of analysis, saying “the defeats may or may not spell trouble for Democrats.” Boehlert noted that the New York Times has already posted at least 9 articles about Democratic candidate Terry McAuliffe’s loss last night in Virginia.​

It's interesting to compare how disliked the NYT is both in conservative circles (here) and in progressive circles (elsewhere). I don't know if you conservatives realize that. I've seen a lot of Dems chuckling (or irritated) over the 'dems in disarray' narrative that flowed so freely in the hours and days after the VA election. If you think progressives are universal fans of corporate media, you should think again.