Knight's pick 09-03-2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is Turbo's comments regarding a news story about awful home-schooling is. (Awesome post Turbo!)
Originally posted by Turbo
Home schooling is an extension of the misguided notion that "anyone can teach." That notion is simply wrong. ... Research on student achievement overwhelmingly supports the "common-sense" logic that the most important factor affecting student learning is teacher competency.
And I suppose none of these incompetent teachers work in public schools. :rolleyes:

Schools, particularly public schools, are the one place where "all of the children of all of the people come together."
That's part of the problem. I'd just as soon not have my kids picking up habits and ideas from this author's kids.

Can there be anything more important to each child and thus to our democratic society than to develop virtues and values such as respect for others, the ability to communicate and collaborate and an openness to diversity and new ideas?
Ah, now we're getting to his real motivation. "Diversity and new ideas" no doubt means "my ideas, exclusively":

• You evolved from slime
  • You are just like any other animal
  • There is no absolute moral standard.
  • All cultures and belief systems are equally valid, except for Christians. (Aztec cannibalism is fine, but missionaries who believe in "forcing their beliefs on others" are evil incarnate.)
  • You shouldn't trust your parents. We know what's best for you.
  • You should have sex when you personally feel you are ready. (wink, wink)

The isolation implicit in home teaching is anathema to socialization and citizenship. It is a rejection of community and makes the home-schooler the captive of the orthodoxies of the parents.
He's just sore that they won't get taught his othodoxies, which are taught at the public schools (as well as many private schools).
[ CONTEXT ]

Status
Not open for further replies.