ECT Jesus Christ the Baptizer

Cross Reference

Please read this in its entirety

JESUS CHRIST, THE BAPTIZER

“THERE WAS A MAN SENT FROM GOD, whose name was John. .. . The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.... And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining upon him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

“And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God” (John 1:6, 29, 32—34).

Every one of the four Gospels spells out John’s declaration, “I indeed baptize you with water; he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.” When the Pharisees asked, “Why baptizeth thou?” he replied, “That he should be made manifest.. . therefore I am come baptizing with water” (John 1: 25, 31). Furthermore, John assured them that he was sent to baptize with water (vs. 33). It was his ministry. This fact was recognized to such an extent that he became known as “John the Baptist.”
I doubt whether one could find a ten-year-old in Christendom that has not yet learned about John the Baptist. All through the ages, generation after generation, men have learned of this great prophet, but they know him by what he did and not by what he said or prophesied. Yet we know that he was both prophet and baptizer.

In recent times I have been astonished to find that very few Christians have ever heard that Christ is the baptizer in the Holy Ghost. They know Him as the Lamb of God, as Saviour; and as the Son of God, our Lord; but they are unfamiliar with the fact that He was announced to the world as the One to whom God gave the ministry of baptizing with the Holy Ghost.

Jesus Christ is both Saviour and Baptizer. We have no doubt that He is as much the Saviour today as when He died on Calvary as the Lamb of God. Even so, He is still the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit as much as He was when He commenced this ministry on the Day of Pentecost, for He is the “same, yesterday, today and forever.”

I have just traveled in seven countries and addressed over 300 ministers belonging to seven of the major classical Protestant churches. During these three months I have read a great variety of ecclesiastical writings, touching upon almost every subject and event between Easter and Pentecost. From Ascension to Pentecost. I have listened to many radio talks in several languages. Not once did I hear a minister, see in a paper, or hear over the radio any mention that Christ baptized with the Holy Spirit. In conversations many that questioned me or spoke to me expressed some surprise at my strong emphasis upon the message that Christ is the Baptizer in the Spirit. I have heard much about the work of the Spirit, about receiving the Spirit, and even about the coming of the Spirit, but nothing is ever said about being baptized with the Spirit.

The first intimation in history that a baptism with the Spirit was a possible event in the life of a human being came from John the Baptist. However, he did not announce the experience but rather the one who gave such an experience. He announced that the Baptizer was coming. He clearly states that God had told him that Christ would be the Baptizer with the Holy Ghost. He also assures us that the image for this act of Christ was his own act of baptizing in the river. From the very beginning, therefore, all John’s converts fully expected an experience that would be as overwhelming as their baptism in the river. These converts had an encounter with the baptizer and not with water or even the river. What they were to expect was an encounter with the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit and not with the Spirit or with the work of the Spirit in their lives.

For every baptism there must be an agent to baptize, and an element with or into which to baptize, and finally a candidate to be baptized. Such a candidate must present himself and ask for baptism. Then there must be a total and complete surrender to the baptizer and not to the element in which he baptizes. The baptism in the Holy Spirit is an encounter with Christ, the Baptizer. The candidates are those who have already had an encounter with Him as the Lamb of God, the Saviour, who took away all their sin and made them worthy temples of the Holy Spirit.

The disciples who left John and followed Christ that He might baptize them with the Holy Spirit discovered that He was full of the Spirit. They saw His miracles to prove it and heard His word to confirm it. Then He gave them power and authority to cast out devils and heal the sick, but that was not the baptism in the Spirit that they expected. Finally they saw Him weak and as a Lamb led to the slaughter, and He opened not His mouth. He died on the cross and was laid in the tomb, and no one had been baptized in the Spirit. What about John’s prophecy? Was it all mythical or mystical?

. . . . . Continued

Last edited:

Cross Reference

. . . . . More

In the evening of that first Easter day of Resurrection, He suddenly and unexpectedly appeared in their midst. Then He breathed on them and said, ‘Receive ye the Holy Ghost.” This was after He had explained, “As my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.” But how did His Father send Him? First He came, born of the Spirit (Luke 1:35), and then He was endued with the Spirit (Luke 4: 1) to commence His earthly ministry. So here the disciples became the very first members of a new body, the church. He breathed eternal life into them. Calvary, the all-effective altar of God, had dealt with the sin question, and those who were dead in trespasses and sin now could receive the life-giving, regenerating Holy Spirit. This was for them the occasion where they were baptized into one body by the Spirit (I Cor.12:13).

But John said that God had said that Jesus would baptize with the Spirit, not that He would give the Spirit. I wonder how these disciples thought and felt about all these strange things? However, a few weeks later Jesus again spoke to the same men to whom He had said, “Receive ye the Holy Ghost.” Now He confirms John’s message. He says to them, “John truly baptized with water: but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence” (Acts 1: 5). Here Christ accepts and confirms the same image that God had given to John, a baptism in water and a baptism in the Holy Spirit—indeed a river baptism, but the river of life must first begin to flow upon earth.

Several predictions were confirmed on the Day of Pentecost. The Father gave the promised Holy Ghost, who was heard as wind and seen as fire. Jesus began to baptize in the Spirit and fire. The immediate consequence of this baptism was that the candidates began to speak with other tongues as Jesus had promised (Mark 16: 17). Then the Holy Spirit began to convict of sin, righteousness and judgment as Peter preached to the multitude (John 16:8). But the record says, “They were all filled {overflowed] with the Holy Ghost, and [of which was] they began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts2:4).

It seems that from this very day onward much more emphasis was given to the experience of the disciples than to the act of Jesus the Baptizer, and the whole controversy began to revolve around glossolalia—speaking with other tongues—which was the very simple consequence of this baptism in the Spirit. The Holy Spirit was the gift and tongues was the consequence. These tongues were a manifestation of the Holy Spirit and not a manifestation of the ecstasy of the human spirit. Speaking in tongues by the Holy Spirit or, as Paul puts it, “Praying with the Spirit,” is an act of the Holy Spirit upon the human spirit which transcends the understanding (I Cor.14: 14, 15).
Thus it seems clear that on the day of Pentecost the spirit of the disciples was baptized into the Holy Spirit and their bodies were filled with the Holy Spirit—overflowed with the Holy Spirit. The fact that they commenced to speak “with the Spirit” was proof of this overflowing.

In our day many pray for an infilling, an experience, instead of seeking the Baptizer. They ask the Holy Spirit to fill them when they should be asking Christ to baptize them. The baptism will produce the filling. This filling of the body by the baptism of the human spirit into the Holy Spirit produces an overflowing (see John 7:38) which causes the vocal organs to go into action and speak a language that is unknown to the candidate. He may be fully aware of what he is doing but does not know what he is saying (I Cor.14:14).

On the day of Pentecost God gave the Holy Spirit and Christ then baptized His followers into the Spirit, and they began to speak with other tongues as the spirit gave them utterance (Acts 2:4). About 10 years later, according to Acts 10:44—46, when the Apostle Peter dared to preach to the Gentiles for the first time (Acts 11:19), these same Gentiles received exactly the same experience that the apostles and the disciples of Christ had on the day of Pentecost. The record says, “And they of the circumcision [Jews] were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God” (Acts 10:46). The Jewish Christians in Jerusalem objected to all this. (Acts 11:2). Then Peter in his defense said, “And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost” (Acts 11: 15, 16). In other words, it was the same Baptizer who baptized into the same element, with the same consequences. The consequences were what convinced the Jewish Christians that the experience of the Gentiles was valid, for they heard them speak with tongues (Acts 10:46).

From this record it is quite clear that during the first decade Peter and the church in Jerusalem believed that Jesus is the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit and that “speaking with tongues” was the immediate consequence or confirmation of this baptism. During this last decade in our time the Christian world has become more conscious of the Holy Spirit and many are reaching out for His power and a charismatic ministry. However, it seems to me that unless the church once again lifts up Christ as the Baptizer, many will seek the blessing from the Holy Spirit and fail to find it because He will always honor Christ.
To get the baptism in the Spirit everyone must seek an encounter with the Baptizer, who began this ministry on the day of Pentecost when He truly came back in the Spirit to baptize His disciples. He is the same, yesterday, today and forever (Heb.13:8).

David Duplessis .......[Mr. Pentecost]

heir

TOL Subscriber
Jesus Christ is both Saviour and Baptizer. We have no doubt that He is as much the Saviour today as when He died on Calvary as the Lamb of God. Even so, He is still the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit as much as He was when He commenced this ministry on the Day of Pentecost, for He is the “same, yesterday, today and forever.”
Let's see if words mean anything to you. According to this passage, Who is the baptizer?

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Cross Reference

I wish every serious Christian would read this paper [OP] because it explains so much that has gone unrecognized when dealing with Acts 2 forward.

SaulToPaul 2

Let's see if words mean anything to you. According to this passage, Who is the baptizer?

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

:wave2:

Oooh, oooh, I know.

nikolai_42

Jesus baptizes. The Holy Spirit is the agent - it is by the Holy Spirit that all are in one body. Jesus is the baptizer and the Spirit is the medium by which one is baptized into the body. Where do you see anyone in scripture asking the Holy Spirit to baptize them? We ask FOR the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:11-13).

Cross Reference

Jesus baptizes. The Holy Spirit is the agent - it is by the Holy Spirit that all are in one body. Jesus is the baptizer and the Spirit is the medium by which one is baptized into the body. Where do you see anyone in scripture asking the Holy Spirit to baptize them? We ask FOR the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:11-13).

Again, very good however, how do you believe John 20:22 factors in?

SaulToPaul 2

Do BY and WITH mean the same thing?

nikolai_42

Do BY and WITH mean the same thing?

No...but what is the object of using "by" in this case? In dividing up the scriptures, Paul's words can (if subtly) be contrasted and pitted against both Jesus' and John's words. There need be no contradiction. Jesus is the one doing the baptizing and He isn't using water...

SaulToPaul 2

No...but what is the object of using "by" in this case? In dividing up the scriptures, Paul's words can (if subtly) be contrasted and pitted against both Jesus' and John's words. There need be no contradiction. Jesus is the one doing the baptizing and He isn't using water...

Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit, as John baptized with water. Jesus poured out his Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit baptizes someone into the Body of Christ.

Not the same. Cannot be.

Cross Reference

Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit, as John baptized with water. Jesus poured out his Holy Spirit.

Not the same. Cannot be.

Nor are you explaining what happens after one is truly baptized into the body of Christ__ by the Holy Sprit.

When anyone is baptized he/she knows experientially something was taking place. That is the way of any kind of baptism. Using water, one gets all wet.

nikolai_42

Again, very good however, how do you believe John 20:22 factors in?

Not quite sure. I am apt to think it was simply (as the following verse spells out) a passing of authority - an apostleship being given. The giving of the Holy Spirit only happened once Christ was glorified (John 7:39). So whether this was a "prepping" or an impartation prefiguring the giving of the Holy Spirit to many...I'm not exactly sure. Jesus tells Peter shortly before He was taken to be tried and hung :

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren

Luke 22:31-32

Interesting is that Jesus says He will pray for Peter and the very next verse assumes that prayer to be efficacious. And what is He praying for? That Peter be "converted". I think we see that play out when Jesus approaches the fishermen on the shore after He is resurrected and tells Peter to feed His sheep. But if conversion (in the general sense) is intimately tied to the receipt of the Holy Spirit, I suppose it could be when Jesus breathes on them.

nikolai_42

Not the same. Cannot be.

So who was doing the baptizing of the "certain disciples" at Ephesus?

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Acts 19:5-6

SaulToPaul 2

So who was doing the baptizing of the "certain disciples" at Ephesus?

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Acts 19:5-6

Jesus

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus poured out his Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:33 NASB - "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

Cross Reference

Not quite sure. I am apt to think it was simply (as the following verse spells out) a passing of authority - an apostleship being given. The giving of the Holy Spirit only happened once Christ was glorified (John 7:39). So whether this was a "prepping" or an impartation prefiguring the giving of the Holy Spirit to many...I'm not exactly sure. Jesus tells Peter shortly before He was taken to be tried and hung :

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren

Luke 22:31-32

Interesting is that Jesus says He will pray for Peter and the very next verse assumes that prayer to be efficacious. And what is He praying for? That Peter be "converted". I think we see that play out when Jesus approaches the fishermen on the shore after He is resurrected and tells Peter to feed His sheep. But if conversion (in the general sense) is intimately tied to the receipt of the Holy Spirit, I suppose it could be when Jesus breathes on them.

There being only 3 manifestations of the Holy Spirit, why not consider John 20:22 as being a firsthand event of anyone being born again [indwelt] and whoso more than the twelve who were with Him in His trials, all others that follow to be by faith but similar allegiance that He would also choose them?