ECT I Corinthians 3:17

nikolai_42

Very simple question....what do you believe this verse means :

If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
I Cor 3:17

Interplanner

It is a reference to shoddy work in building the church, v10. Everything must have its foundation in Christ, not in 'personalities'.

Most of the nouns about the believers here are plural: you are God's building, field, temple, etc. There are other places where he means the individual believers body and even sexuality.

nikolai_42

It is a reference to shoddy work in building the church, v10. Everything must have its foundation in Christ, not in 'personalities'.

Most of the nouns about the believers here are plural: you are God's building, field, temple, etc. There are other places where he means the individual believers body and even sexuality.

Well...if the temple is a place of worship and where God is to be adored, and the church is that body, wouldn't the building of it imply proper teaching and worship of God?

Matthew 15:11 says that it isn't what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out. In Revelation 2:20 we have a confluence of the metaphor of sexual immorality as applied to teaching of lies :

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:20

It may be that this implies that the false doctrine encourages sexual immorality, but the idolatry seems to be directly linked with teaching error. So wouldn't the foundation be doctrinal more than personal (as being founded on Christ really implies doctrine...)?

Interplanner

Well...if the temple is a place of worship and where God is to be adored, and the church is that body, wouldn't the building of it imply proper teaching and worship of God?

Matthew 15:11 says that it isn't what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out. In Revelation 2:20 we have a confluence of the metaphor of sexual immorality as applied to teaching of lies :

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

It may be that this implies that the false doctrine encourages sexual immorality, but the idolatry seems to be directly linked with teaching error. So wouldn't the foundation be doctrinal more than personal (as being founded on Christ really implies doctrine...)?

Yes, but by 'personal' do you mean various personalities, for ex., around which Corinthians cliqued themselves?

TweetyBird

It appears that the context of Paul's words have to do with the foundation - whether or not one is founded in Christ. It reminds of another passage - Eph 2 - where Paul speaks of the foundation of Christ and we are built upon it - altogether as a spiritual habitation. In other words, when is in our hearts in regard to the Lord - that is how we will be judged - also see Heb 4:12,13.

Danoh

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 3:20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

They were glorying in men.

Which is human viewpoint - the wisdom of this world - and was thus not aligned with the foundation upon which Paul had based his teaching to them: Jesus Christ - the only One worthy of glorying In.

1 Corinthians 3:20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; 3:23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

One day, their identifying themselves with their ideas as to this will be destroyed; for it will be tried and proven "of what sort it is..."

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

nikolai_42

Yes, but by 'personal' do you mean various personalities, for ex., around which Corinthians cliqued themselves?

Essentially, yes. The church is built upon Jesus Christ the chief cornerstone and upon the apostles and prophets (Ephesians 2:20 and Rev 21:14). But built NOT on their personalities or their persons but upon the doctrine (which was Christ). So while there is more of a sense in which the church is built upon Christ personally, it is only in the sense of what He did. However, in the sense that it is built upon all the prophets and apostles as well, it is much more the doctrine that they taught (which was, in the main, Christ). Doctrine and work being inextricably tied at some level, it seems to me Paul is talking about doctrine - what is taught - and the fruit that comes of that teaching bears out the value of that teaching. So those that do not align with the teachings of Christ as found in scripture - and who pollute the church with their teachings - are undoing what Christ has done. I'm wondering if that's what Paul is telling Timothy :

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

I Timothy 6:3-5

He goes on to say that these men drown themselves in destruction (6:9). Do not all these things defile the church? Not the persons so much, but what they do and teach.

Danoh

Essentially, yes. The church is built upon Jesus Christ the chief cornerstone and upon the apostles and prophets (Ephesians 2:20 and Rev 21:14). But built NOT on their personalities or their persons but upon the doctrine (which was Christ). So while there is more of a sense in which the church is built upon Christ personally, it is only in the sense of what He did. However, in the sense that it is built upon all the prophets and apostles as well, it is much more the doctrine that they taught (which was, in the main, Christ). Doctrine and work being inextricably tied at some level, it seems to me Paul is talking about doctrine - what is taught - and the fruit that comes of that teaching bears out the value of that teaching. So those that do not align with the teachings of Christ as found in scripture - and who pollute the church with their teachings - are undoing what Christ has done. I'm wondering if that's what Paul is telling Timothy :

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

I Timothy 6:3-5

He goes on to say that these men drown themselves in destruction (6:9). Do not all these things defile the church? Not the persons so much, but what they do and teach.

That is an aspect of it as well.

It's the same operating principle.

But that is not the aspect he is dealing with in 1 Cor. 3.

There he is dealing with the error that is human viewpoint, yes; but as to its' resulting in men glorying in men.

DAN P

Very simple question....what do you believe this verse means :

If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
I Cor 3:17

Hi and this is what Paul means in 1 Cor 3:17 !!

#1 , Paul is laying the FOUNDATION , IN VERSE 10 ans 11 , lonly Paul did lay this foundation !\\

#2 , And you can lay of this foundation , GOLD , SLIVER and COSTLY STONES or you can LAY WOODS , GRASS and STRAW , your chose !!

#4, It is obvious that DEFILE is a verb in the PRESENT GTENSE and is speaking ONLY to the Body of Christ in the DISPENSATION of the Grace of God and HAS nothing to to with PENTECOST and all the Ordinaces that Israel has , of Touch not Taste not ETC ETC !!

#5 , The second verb is DESTROY and is in the FUTURE TENSE and this means verse 17 is to happen at the BEMA SEAT where Rewards will be ;assed out !!

I could say more and we can MAR /CORRUPT our innter temple and then God will MAR / CORRUPT US !!

dan p