ECT I am Christ

genuineoriginal

Mark 13:6
6 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.​

In this verse, is Jesus saying that many people will come calling themselves 'Jesus' and saying that they are the Christ?

Or is Jesus saying that many people will come claiming to represent Jesus and saying that Jesus is the Christ?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I said
I like my bible better. its says. If they say "I am He" who? Jesus the Christ the chosen one the God of Abraham. They could say anyone of them. But when Jesus returns all will see Him riding on a cloud. Now with the KJV they could deceive many.

6 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and will deceive many.
(NKJ)

genuineoriginal

I said
I like my bible better. its says. If they say "I am He" who? Jesus the Christ the chosen one the God of Abraham. They could say anyone of them. But when Jesus returns all will see Him riding on a cloud. Now with the KJV they could deceive many.

6 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and will deceive many.
(NKJ)
This translation doesn't add the quote marks that many translations use, instead it changes the words of Jesus to say what they think He was trying to say.

Matthew 24:5 CEV
5 Many will come and claim to be me. They will say that they are the Messiah, and they will fool many people.

DAN P

In this verse, is Jesus saying that many people will come calling themselves 'Jesus' and saying that they are the Christ?

Or is Jesus saying that many people will come claiming to represent Jesus and saying that Jesus is the Christ?

Hi , and there are 4 verb tenses in this verse !!

" SHALL COME " is the one in the FUTURE TENSE and the other is " SHALL DECEIVE " is the other in verse 6 !!

The context is the first part of the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
This translation doesn't add the quote marks that many translations use, instead it changes the words of Jesus to say what they think He was trying to say.

Matthew 24:5 CEV
5 Many will come and claim to be me. They will say that they are the Messiah, and they will fool many people.

I said
Well I just try to remember that when Jesus comes back it will be on a cloud.

Rev 14:14
14 Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and on the cloud sat One like the Son of Man, having on His head a golden crown, and in His hand a sharp sickle.
(NKJ)

Rev 1:18
18 "I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.
1Thes 4:16-18
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
Matt 24:29-30

genuineoriginal

Hi , and there are 4 verb tenses in this verse !!

" SHALL COME " is the one in the FUTURE TENSE and the other is " SHALL DECEIVE " is the other in verse 6 !!

The context is the first part of the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

The great tribulation started over 1900 years ago.
You missed it.

genuineoriginal

Here is an example on how punctuation can change meaning.
punctuation%2520is%2520powerful.jpg

OCTOBER23

If they are coming in the name of Christ,

then they can't say that they are Christ.

Like the ROMAN Catholics did when their Missionaries went around the world

trying to convert everyone to their Pagan Religion JUST LIKE THE ROMAN EMPIRE DID.

Levolor

I so agree that punctuation is powerful.

I went to Young's Literal Translation and it says:

for many shall come in my name, saying -- I am [he], and many they shall lead astray;

After reading that a few times, I came away with the thought that many will come claiming to be God: I am.

So I think of Koresh and Jim Jones... Heaven's Gate... etc.

People who say follow me and I will get you to heaven, or whatever but instead only lead them to death and destruction. Who is it that kills, steals and destroys? Yes, they weren't 'He'.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

for many shall come in my name, saying -- I am [he], and many they shall lead astray;

After reading that a few times, I came away with the thought that many will come claiming to be God: I am.

People who say follow me and I will get you to heaven, or whatever but instead only lead them to death and destruction. Who is it that kills, steals and destroys? Yes, they weren't 'He'.

The deception is that many who do believe Jesus is the Christ (as all the demons know) will deceive men concerning what Jesus is about to tell them in Mat ch 24.

Neither Koresh or Jim Jones deceived people that they were Jesus the Christ .

Many believe they are saved because they believe, but even Simon of Acts 8 believed and was baptized but his heart was still in the bond of iniquity.

Simon did NOT make the right confession when he said--

Act 8:24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

All Simon was concerned about was his own neck.

Many here are the same.

LA

DAN P

The great tribulation started over 1900 years ago.
You missed it.

Hi and I then MISSED seeing Abraham , Isaac and Jacob , Matt 8:11 and also missed seeing Christ sit on David's throne and also MISSED seeing the 12 apostles sit on 12 thrones Judging Israel and what HAPPENED to the 10 cities given to me by Jesus !!

Preterism is Pie in the SKY , i WILL SAY !!

So where did they all disapprear to as no record was written where they all went to ??:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

dan p

genuineoriginal

Hi and I then MISSED seeing Abraham , Isaac and Jacob , Matt 8:11 and also missed seeing Christ sit on David's throne and also MISSED seeing the 12 apostles sit on 12 thrones Judging Israel and what HAPPENED to the 10 cities given to me by Jesus !!
None of those things happen during the great tribulation, so why are you acting as if they do?
Are you reading some Holy Book other than the Bible?

Preterism is Pie in the SKY , i WILL SAY !!
Yes, Preterism is Pie in the SKY, and so is Futurism.

So where did they all disapprear to as no record was written where they all went to ??
Where did WHO disappear to?
Who is supposed to have disappeared?

genuineoriginal

The parallel verse in Matthew 24:5 has 'Christ'.

Matthew 24:5 YLT
5 for many shall come in my name, saying, I am the Christ, and they shall lead many astray,​

genuineoriginal

Let's look for a moment at another part of the verse:

Matthew 24:5
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.​

Some people come claiming that their name is "Jesus", but is that what the verse is really saying will happen?

Here is David coming in the name of the LORD of hosts:

1 Samuel 17:45
45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.​

Is David claiming that his name is "LORD of hosts" or is David claiming to represent the LORD of hosts?

If David is claiming to represent the LORD of hosts, then it is likely that Jesus was not saying that people would come claiming that their name is "Jesus" but that people would come claiming to represent Jesus.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
GO

The issue was -"is Jesus the Christ"

The deception is that many do come in His name as you say, and they are saying indeed Jesus is the Christ, but they deceive people about what He is about to explain to them in Mat ch 24 in regard to their questions.

Number one deception is that Christ will not allow His Bride (the believers) to go through the troubles He is about to tell them about.

Meaning the troubles bought about by the worship of the Beast by many believers some of whom will take the mark and others not.

Pre-trib rapture is the number one deception.

LA

revpete

I am Christ

There have been false "messiahs" over the years and have attracted many followers, the most recent being Sun Young Moon of the unification church. Many of his followers claimed that he was indeed Christ. It is interesting that those who attract followers don't so much claim messiahship for themselves but have it claimed on their behalf but do nothing to discourage it either.

Pete 👤

Arsenios

BYZ –
πολλοι γαρ ελευσονται επι τω ονοματι μου

For many shall rise up upon the Name of Me

λεγοντες οτι εγω ειμι
saying that: "I AM"...

και πολλους πλανησουσιν
and many shall be led astray.

For many shall arise upon My Name saying that I AM...
And many shall be led astray...

I just hope that the two manys are not too many and that both are about the same number...

When a sheep strays, the wolves rejoice...

So we have a dogmatikon...

Arsenios