How can we see distant stars in a young universe?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Take a star just 12,000 light years away, according to your notion the space between that star and us must have been expanded to at least twice it's original length (halving the frequency).

You seem to be assuming that the 6000 years since the expansion stopped has something to do with when the star was formed.

It has nothing to do with when the star was formed.

I repeat.

The Red Shift would be the same in either case because the Red Shift does not depend on the rate of expansion but instead on the amount of expansion, which is the same in both Guth's theory and mine.

Johnny

The Red Shift would be the same in either case because the Red Shift does not depend on the rate of expansion but instead on the amount of expansion, which is the same in both Guth's theory and mine.
Right. And as such you should be able to calculate the amount of expansion based on redshift, right?

Mr Jack

You seem to be assuming that the 6000 years since the expansion stopped has something to do with when the star was formed.
I'm assuming no such thing.

In the real world, stars form at different times, and the light from those stars has mostly traversed the distance to us in the usual boring way. In your model all the stars must have been created early, and then their light reached us by expansion.

...on the amount of expansion, which is the same in both Guth's theory and mine.
You keep saying this, and you keep being wrong.

It's not hard. Your idea gets light from "distant" stars by expanding the space so it doesn't take so long to get here. In the real world stars gets from "distant" stars by taking the time to travel the distance along with a tiny bit of inflation.

Apparently you think I did something wrong when working out the red shift of a star 12,000 light years away as predicted by your notion, since you ignored the major part of my post. Perhaps you'd care to actually make the prediction yourself?