ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Homeschoolers in the trenches

Homeschoolers in the trenches

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33117

Given the poor academic track record of public education in many areas of this country, you would think the government and education establishment would be a little less arrogant about superimposing their will on homeschooling families who prefer to opt out of their system. But you would be wrong.

The establishment's assault against the homeschooling movement continues. In Waltham, Mass., local authorities are so adamant about imposing their mandatory standardized testing that they sent social workers and policemen to the home of George and Kim Bryant at 7:45 a.m. last Thursday demanding their two teen-agers take the tests.

According to WorldNetDaily.com, the Department of Social Services actually threatened to take the Bryants' children away from them over this issue – if other issues were involved, the article didn't say so. But the Bryants refused to let their children go, believing they have a right to determine their children's educational choices.

These children have never been in the public school system. Up until this year, the parents have taken the children to be tested. This year, they left the decision up to the children. If these children are like most other homeschooled children, they've always scored high above the local and federal averages for their ages.

The Bryants eventually took their children to a hotel to be tested. The children, once at the hotel, decided they weren't going to take the test (this bit of news has come from a homeschooling loop that I'm part of).

When will the government realize that, as parents, we're better qualified to determine what's in the best interest of our children?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A while back, DFS (DSS under another name) started getting on my case about homeschooling here. They tried to tell me that in Indiana, I wasn't allowed to homeschool unless I had a teacher's certificate. :D I went to the Indiana Dept. of Education website and printed out the law for them. The only law on homeschooling here is that you have to inform the superintendent of the schools and keep attendance for 180 school days per year. That's it.