ECT Hebrews 10:26-27 - discussion points for all major views on the passage

nikolai_42

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Hebrews 10:26-27

Another juicy topic, I think. And manageable (I hope) if confined to ECT. Some thoughts:

1. If this is about those that were never truly saved, why the fearful looking for of judgment? Is it understood that the fear disappears when that person does truly turn to Christ? If so, why not say so? Does verse 26 imply that "knowledge of the truth" implies being in Christ (otherwise, why say no more sacrifice?)?

2. If this is about Jews that deconvert back into Judaism, why would the author here speak of losing salvation whereas Paul says this to the Galatians (who were essentially doing the same thing):

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,
Galatians 4:19

Is the implication that (the Galatians) they never really moved away from the Law?

3. If this is about believers that lose their salvation, why is it that those who are rejected by Christ were never known by Him (Matthew 7:23)?

MennoSota

Those who have been given the gift of faith will not turn away.
Read the chapter in context rather than zoom in on a couple sentences out of context.
Hebrews 10:15-39
[15]And the Holy Spirit also testifies that this is so. For he says,
[16]“This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the lord: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”
[17]Then he says, “I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds.”
[18]And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.
[19]And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven’s Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus.
[20]By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.
[21]And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house,
[22]let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.
[23]Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
[24]Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
[25]And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
[26]Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.
[27]There is only the terrible expectation of God’s judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies.
[28]For anyone who refused to obey the law of Moses was put to death without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
[29]Just think how much worse the punishment will be for those who have trampled on the Son of God, and have treated the blood of the covenant, which made us holy, as if it were common and unholy, and have insulted and disdained the Holy Spirit who brings God’s mercy to us.
[30]For we know the one who said, “I will take revenge. I will pay them back.”He also said, “The lord will judge his own people.”
[31]It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
[32]Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ. Remember how you remained faithful even though it meant terrible suffering.
[33]Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things.
[34]You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever.
[35]So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you!
[36]Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.
[37]“For in just a little while, the Coming One will come and not delay.
[38]And my righteous ones will live by faith. But I will take no pleasure in anyone who turns away.”
[39]But we are not like those who turn away from God to their own destruction. We are the faithful ones, whose souls will be saved.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If those who know better reject Jesus Christ there is no other sacrifice.

They consign themselves to the second resurrection.

Danoh

Another juicy topic, I think. And manageable (I hope) if confined to ECT. Some thoughts:

1. If this is about those that were never truly saved, why the fearful looking for of judgment? Is it understood that the fear disappears when that person does truly turn to Christ? If so, why not say so? Does verse 26 imply that "knowledge of the truth" implies being in Christ (otherwise, why say no more sacrifice?)?

2. If this is about Jews that deconvert back into Judaism, why would the author here speak of losing salvation whereas Paul says this to the Galatians (who were essentially doing the same thing):

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Is the implication that (the Galatians) they never really moved away from the Law?

3. If this is about believers that lose their salvation, why is it that those who are rejected by Christ were never known by Him (Matthew 7:23)?

In Galatians, Paul is talking about his desire that their prior understanding of Christ originally given them under Paul's teaching, be formed in them again.

He is talking about their having fallen from their prior, God given understanding via Paul of their eternal salvation that Christ purchased for them on that Cross.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Hebrews and Galatians are not addressing...the same issues.

Galatians is based on...

Rom. 5:6-11.

Romans 15:18 For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, 15:19 Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Hebrews is in light of, and from the perspective of passages like the following about Israel...

1 Thessalonians 2:15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men: 2:16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Thus, the Hebrews writer's...

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

That "second time" being Peter's...

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

"A second time" or return of the Lord unto Israel one day, which per Peter in light of Paul, had / has been delayed...

2 Peter 3:1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Faither

BANNED
Banned

The key word in Hebrew 10: 26,27 is hekousios , " willfully ". 1596 in the Strongs.

First , anyone who hasn't yet started a life of pisteuo or " continually surrenders their lives to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender " has no business talking about loosing something they have yet to receive .

With that said , why is it so surprising that God would accually honor the choices and decisions we make ?

If we genuinely start a life of continual surrender to Him , and live a life that supports that surrender , after being tested and accepted by Him , He seals His Spirit in us . This doesn't mean we are going to fulfill this faithing life perfectly , we are going to stumble , guaranteed .

What Heb 10 : 26 , 27 is saying , is we choose to " continually surrender our lives " to anything else other than God , Apisteuo , we can grieve His Spirit out of us . Simply God granting to us what we are faithing into . This " sinning" word in Hebrew 10 : 26 is hamartano 264 and is not the word used for the trudging Faith life of stumbling and getting back on the right path . Hamartano is a voluntary , willfully , willingly , continuous , choice to faithe or surrender our lives to something other than God , while " alongside " an already completely sealed Temple of the Holy Spirit .

No one knows at what point the Holy Spirit will be grieved from us , but it can .

I personally hold to the fact , once we have received the Grace deposit , it is harder to get out of God's will than it is to stay in it .