Having received salvation, what is next?

oatmeal

In reply to a post on another thread, it became evident that it was high time that the difference between receiving the gift of salvation and doing something with it so as to actually see the immediate benefits of using that gift. The difference needs to be expounded. This post is a primer to a lifetime of learning.

Most certainly, receiving salvation is the first step in living a godly life well pleasing and worthy of God.

I Timothy 2:4 makes that clear as can be.

God's will is

1. that all men be saved.

2. that they come to the knowledge of the truth.

The word for knowledge in I Timothy 2:4 is not referring to simply being mentally aware of something but knowledge gained by experiencing something, in this case, the truth. (See John 8:32 for another similar use, it is not simply being aware of truth that sets men free, it is experiencing truth by living it, that sets men free.)

Coming to the knowledge of truth by experiencing it takes work.

It may take hard work to enjoy the immediate and presently available benefits our salvation.

Owning a bicycle and learning to ride it to receive the benefits of ownership are two vastly different activities. Our minds and bodies must be trained to learn the skills that it takes to ride a bicycle safely and efficaciously.

Having received the gift of salvation we must experience what salvation is to really know what it is. That takes work and action on our part and the learning of new skills. Like for instance, becoming spiritually minded instead of remaining carnally minded. see Romans 8

Receiving salvation is simply the first step in living the gift of eternal life/salvation/holy spirit. Romans 6:23

We must also know what this gift contains and what we are to do with it as God would have us use it.

As a bonus, we should consider that having a gift and using it are both involved in salvation, or wholeness.

To be saved means to be made whole.

We have all received gifts in our lifetime, it is only when we use those gifts that we truly benefit in the present in having those gifts.

Let me illustrate, just because we have a God given brain, does not mean we will wisely fill it and use it. Part of benefiting from having a brain is in its active use. Our brains actually develop as we fill it with knowledge and use it. It can physically and mentally develop towards evil or toward good depending how we choose to use it.

Likewise our bodies, we can abuse our bodies for evil or use our bodies for good. Romans 12:1

Salvation is received but it is also developed and strengthened if we use it according to God's word.

As we renew our minds to God's word, that is when we choose to think what God wants us to think, see Philippians 4:8;2:5, Romans 12:2..., our salvation becomes stronger in us in that it permeates our walk with God, ie, our lifestyle to live God's way, not the way of the world.

Once having received salvation, we can stay inert and stagnate or choose to dynamically involve ourselves in using God's gift of salvation/eternal life/holy spirit.

By choosing to live our salvation by renewing our minds, we receive more benefits of that salvation. We have the basic package but how we use it determines how much salvation is evidenced in our lives. In sense, we actually grow in salvation as we use it. Thus until Jesus Christ returns, I John 3:1-3, we can continue to appropriate more and more of the benefits of that salvation, a process that is unlimited for we will always have ways to improve.

This is where verses like Philippians 2:12 come in. We are to "work out" our salvation. We have it, but it lies dormant until we renew our minds and start working it, much like going to the gym to "work out" we become more healthy and whole as we "work out" our salvation just like working out doing physical exercise increases our health and vitality

Last edited:

oatmeal

When we read the following passage with the above post in mind, we find that James is not focused the receiving of the gift of salvation, but on the godly use of that gift of salvation

James is written to people who have received the gift of salvation. This is shown by the use of brethren, the reference to "every good and perfect gift is from above" James 1:17 , by reference to "have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ... with respect of persons" James is telling them to use the faith of Jesus Christ rightly. They can use it rightly or wrongly because they already have it. James is telling them to use it rightly.

The following passage is clearer if the word believe is used instead of the word faith, for God gave to us the faith of Jesus Christ, the measure of faith, our response is to believe God's word to make use of it rightly.

James 2:14-26

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

By seeing a person's works, you can tell what they are believing. Without seeing the works, where is the believing?

As you or I work to hold forth the words of life, Philippians 2:15-16, it is clear that you and I am believing that it is our God given responsibility to do so.

oatmeal

Blind guide.

You might want to review the section about the renewing of the mind.

The subject of the renewing of the mind seems to be lost on many a Christian.

But they are not to blame, if their teachers and preachers have not instructed them.

Above you have a brief intro to that subject.

If you have further questions on the subject, if you hunger and thirst for righteousness, God guarantees you shall be filled, but you shall be filled only according to your hunger.

Questions are useful, if you choose to ask, I intend to reply

popsthebuilder

Pay know mind to the proud and prejudiced;

The Lord GOD knows your works and heart friend, as do others.

May GOD continually guide you, and me, and all who do seek out that Holy will.

peace friend.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Truster

Pay know mind to the proud and prejudiced;

The Lord GOD knows your works and heart friend, as do others.

May GOD continually guide you, and me, and all who do seek out that Holy will.

peace friend.

Along came a goat to prove the point...

oatmeal

The goats will enjoy your confused mess, but the Lambs will be led into green pastures.

Thought you might enjoy the following partial list:

Exodus 12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:

Leviticus 5:6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the Lord for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.

Leviticus 9:3 And unto the children of Israel thou shalt speak, saying, Take ye a kid of the goats for a sin offering; and a calf and a lamb, both of the first year, without blemish, for a burnt offering;

Leviticus 17:3 What man soever there be of the house of Israel, that killeth an ox, or lamb, or goat, in the camp, or that killeth it out of the camp,

Leviticus 23:19 Then ye shall sacrifice one kid of the goats for a sin offering, and two lambs of the first year for a sacrifice of peace offerings.

Numbers 7:17 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Nahshon the son of Amminadab.

Numbers 7:23 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Nethaneel the son of Zuar.

Numbers 7:29 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Eliab the son of Helon.

Numbers 7:35 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Elizur the son of Shedeur.

Numbers 7:41 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai.

Numbers 7:47 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Eliasaph the son of Deuel.

Numbers 7:53 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Elishama the son of Ammihud.

Numbers 7:59 And for a sacrifice of peace offerings, two oxen, five rams, five he goats, five lambs of the first year: this was the offering of Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur.

Truster

You can't be serious. Don't you understand the difference between goats in the flesh and goats symbolically?

oatmeal

You can't be serious. Don't you understand the difference between goats in the flesh and goats symbolically?

I do not what you symbolize them as, but looking at Exodus 12:5 it is clear that goats are equivalent to lambs regarding the animal to be used in the first Passover.

That is what that scripture shows us.

oatmeal

Ephesians 4:15

But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

We are to grow up into him.

There is a maturation process we are to engage ourselves in in order to fully develop ourselves as sons of God.

This maturation process involves the leadership and rulership of the God ordained leaders and rulers in the church.

Romans 13:1-8

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

These higher powers in the church are referred to in

Ephesians 4:8,11-14

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Even as the first century church needed the ministries of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers for leadership, so do we also need that leadership.

Going to a scripture based Bible college might educate, but the ministries in the church are chosen by God.

I Corinthians 12:18

But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

When we become humble and meek to learn then will be begin to have the wherewithal to begin to grow up into him in all things

popsthebuilder

Along came a goat to prove the point...
I am not stubborn, nor do I devour all that I see. I am not carnally minded, and was rather enjoying you not speaking about, or to me.

There you go trying to divide the wheat from the tare again....

Truster

I am not stubborn, nor do I devour all that I see. I am not carnally minded, and was rather enjoying you not speaking about, or to me.

There you go trying to divide the wheat from the tare again....

It's not wheat from tares. It's sheep from goats. It's precious from the vile and in doing so I fulfill a duty.

popsthebuilder

It's not wheat from tares. It's sheep from goats. It's precious from the vile and in doing so I fulfill a duty.
So you make a division between the wheats and tares and another between the sheep and goats?

To me tare/ goat are the same; unbeliever.

And wheat/ sheep are the same; faithful believer.

What other distinctions do you make, and how do you see it as your duty to judge between them?

Thanks,

peace

Truster

So you make a division between the wheats and tares and another between the sheep and goats?

To me tare/ goat are the same; unbeliever.

And wheat/ sheep are the same; faithful believer.

What other distinctions do you make, and how do you see it as your duty to judge between them?

Thanks,

peace

They are different and mean different things.