ga'al

Gary K

Banned
I did a study on this concept from the OT 10 years ago or so. It took me a fair amount of time as ended up with 200+ texts in both OT and NT. I wish I still had that study but when the hackers bricked my old laptop I lost it all.

The concept is a law given by God so that if an Israelite/Jew went bankrupt he couldn't lose his land forever. The concept is found as Strong's Hebrew #1350
and there are multiple3 variations of it also translated as redeem/redeemer/redeemed. Eighteen times in the OT ga'al is translated as redeemer and all eighteen are pointing to Jesus as the Messiah. This concept is ted to the redemption price every Israelite/Jew as to pay every year.

It is also tied to the concept of dominion which Adam lost over the earth when he sinned. Jesus came as a human so he could be our near of kin and pay our debt so He could redeem us.

The best example of this law is the book of Ruth and how Boaz redeems her mother-jn-law's land and then marries Ruth.

Lev 25:47 And if a sojourner or stranger wax rich by thee, and thy brother that dwelleth by him wax poor, and sell himself unto the stranger or sojourner by thee, or to the stock of the stranger's family:
Lev 25:48 After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him:
Lev 25:49 Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself.
Lev 25:50 And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubile: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him.
Lev 25:51 If there be yet many years behind, according unto them he shall give again the price of his redemption out of the money that he was bought for.
Lev 25:52 And if there remain but few years unto the year of jubile, then he shall count with him, and according unto his years shall he give him again the price of his redemption.

In the NT the word redeem is found only once and that was on the walk to Emmaus by the two disciples and it is translated from a Greek word meaning to purchase. Paul uses this idea often but his most easily spotted time is when he speaks of being sold under sin. John uses the same concept in Revelation when he speaks of those redeemed from the earth. The Greek word there means purchased.

This is only a very short synopsis of this concept but I think it is really interesting because it shows how much God loves us.

An onteresting sidelifgt is that the financial system God set up with the Israelites is the capitalist system as it is based on the private ownership of everything. He knew it would be abused by greedy people so He set up a safety net so no one could lose their way of making a living for the rest of their lives, and neither could their posterity.