ECT "Fulfillment" demonsrated by some CCM lyrics

Interplanner

The popular CCM worship tune "Better is One Day" can help us understand the NT idea of fulfillment of the OT.

The song takes a psalm about the worship system in the old covenant and uses that picture to make the Christian's life more desired.

"One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see your beauty,
That I would dwell within your gates forever...

Better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts,
than a thousand elsewhere...

My soul cries out to you, your Spirit's water to my soul
come once again to me..."

We are told various places, especially Eph 2B and I Pet 1, that we are now, in the Gospel and the new covenant, in this building, and that now the building itself is living. What the thing stood for in the past (called by the NT the 'shadow' or the 'picture') is now fulfilled in Christ the reality.

We do see the beauty of God in the glory of the Gospel of Christ.

We do drink of the Spirit because of the river of water of life.

We are supposed to be ambassadors of a message that is so powerful it is unconstrained by time and place; that Christ is lord and reigns, that he has been declared to be such, not by crumbling documents of old, but by the most controverting event: the resurrection (Rom 1:4); that God was in Christ settling the problem of the debt of sin, which is the case.

What does a restored Judaic worship system have to do with any of that?

It is very disturbing to think that we might have people telling us that the previous edition is better; that we should be excited to hear about all the shadow-picture versions being restored is something better than what is in Christ. What confusion!

Danoh

The popular CCM worship tune "Better is One Day" can help us understand the NT idea of fulfillment of the OT.

The song takes a psalm about the worship system in the old covenant and uses that picture to make the Christian's life more desired.

"One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see your beauty,
That I would dwell within your gates forever...

than a thousand elsewhere...

come once again to me..."

We are told various places, especially Eph 2B and I Pet 1, that we are now, in the Gospel and the new covenant, in this building, and that now the building itself is living. What the thing stood for in the past (called by the NT the 'shadow' or the 'picture') is now fulfilled in Christ the reality.

We do see the beauty of God in the glory of the Gospel of Christ.

We do drink of the Spirit because of the river of water of life.

We are supposed to be ambassadors of a message that is so powerful it is unconstrained by time and place; that Christ is lord and reigns, that he has been declared to be such, not by crumbling documents of old, but by the most controverting event: the resurrection (Rom 1:4); that God was in Christ settling the problem of the debt of sin, which is the case.

What does a restored Judaic worship system have to do with any of that?

It is very disturbing to think that we might have people telling us that the previous edition is better; that we should be excited to hear about all the shadow-picture versions being restored is something better than what is in Christ. What confusion!

The very wording in that hymn reveals it is the product of a Charismatic mind, or viewpoint - a mind that has clearly failed to understand the Believer's complete standing in Christ.

The very awareness of which - a sound understanding of one's complete standing in Christ - FIRST shifted Darby away from his prior paradigm; the Reformed paradigm the Reformers soon turned what little they were just beginning to recover...into...the tradition of men...

Leave it to you and your endless kind, to base doctrine on the false doctrine of men - their ever endless ignorance revealed by them through hymn ever revealing... their ignorance of Him.

:doh:

Interplanner

The very wording in that hymn reveals it is the product of a Charismatic mind, or viewpoint - a mind that has clearly failed to understand the Believer's complete standing in Christ.

The very awareness of which - a sound understanding of one's complete standing in Christ - FIRST shifted Darby away from his prior paradigm; the Reformed paradigm the Reformers soon turned what little they were just beginning to recover...into...the tradition of men...

Leave it to you and your endless kind, to base doctrine on the false doctrine of men - their ever endless ignorance revealed by them through hymn ever revealing... their ignorance of Him.

:doh:

They sang it because of their position in Christ. Your post is worthless again. Christ is the New Creation; the old (covenant and equipment) has gone; new has come.

Interplanner

There are many Reformation hymns that validate the church as God's new covenant, kingdom, transcultural, by faith, etc. Need titles? "We Are Marching to Zion."

TweetyBird

Let's break down the song and see how it compares to Scripture:

"One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see your beauty, [Psalm 45:11]
That I would dwell within your gates forever... [Psa 23:6]

than a thousand elsewhere... [Psa 84:10]

come once again to me..." [John 7:38, Psalm 102:1]

=====
Psalm 45:11
so shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

Psalm 23:6
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 84:10
For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

John 7:38
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Psalm 102:1
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and let my cry come unto thee.

Danoh

Let's break down the song and see how it compares to Scripture:

"One thing I ask, and I would seek, to see your beauty, [Psalm 45:11]
That I would dwell within your gates forever... [Psa 23:6]

than a thousand elsewhere... [Psa 84:10]

come once again to me..." [John 7:38, Psalm 102:1]

=====
Psalm 45:11
so shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

Psalm 23:6
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 84:10
For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

John 7:38
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Psalm 102:1
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and let my cry come unto thee.

Yep, the "not yet" of an Israelite.

Not Body truth.

Ours is the present tense reality of "blessed assurance, Jesus IS mine, o what FORE taste, of glory devine..."

The present tense reality "redeemed, how I love to proclaim, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb..."

Israel's is "not yet..." - ours is "now..."

Why?

Because we ARE...

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

PRESENT tense POSSESSION of AMAZING Grace...indeed :)

TweetyBird

Yep, the "not yet" of an Israelite.

Not Body truth.

Ours is the present tense reality of "blessed assurance, Jesus IS mine, o what FORE taste, of glory devine..."

The present tense reality "redeemed, how I love to proclaim, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb..."

Israel's is "not yet..." - ours is "now..."

Why?

Because we ARE...

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

PRESENT tense POSSESSION of AMAZING Grace...indeed :)

The NT said to sing the Psalms. Oh snap ....

1 Corinthians 14:26
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Ephesians 5:19
speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

James 5:13
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.