Forgiving Others

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Yorzhik, I'm starting to get out more, I've visited two churches recently in an attempt at ministering the truth to others and some of that is exciting, but it is going really slow. If you want, we can get together for lunch or go to some church together sometime, I'm just afraid that TT will put our opportunity for meeting a long way off.

And I think that meeting with people will help me deal more responsibly with domestic concerns, which I am struggling with right now. I would prefer Sunday School over the sermon, or going to a small group meeting, you know, something where our views can become shared to some extent. Let me know if or when something like this will work, or maybe we can watch a TT event too, I just do not know about when they happen and all that. Also, there are scant few believers that I know of who are of like-minded faith in my area. We might want to get together with them too.

If you have not seen the video, unlocking the mystery of life, it would also be a great occasion to get together, it is a very exciting and thought provoking video, it's like true science is back again!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool. Let's get together at some church on Sunday morning. This next Sunday could be okay, but I'll have to check with the person who knows what I'm doing ;)

You are about 30 minutes from N. South Bend? If so, then I am too, and there are a number of good churches there (relatively good churches, anyway).

I think it's a little funny that you have been going to churchs to get the truth out... when I tell people my ministry is in the church, they look at me strange - as if ministries should come *from* the church, not go *into* them :D

1Way

• LOL. That will work. Man, I really pity some closed view non-dispensationalist Sunday school teacher, they will have their hands full w/you and me in the same class. :D Maybe I'll have to buy a lip guard, a nice looking one, so that I wont get a swollen lip from constantly biting it. I have a TOL T shirt you know. It's a classic. And a TOL hat too. :D But I'm cool, I have a pocket PC and so I have ready access to three translations (NKJV, KJV, NAS) and complete electronic word and phrase searching. Yorzhik, this is sort of cracking me up. Maybe we should just sit in with the pasture's class and weed out the undesirable element. Oh boy. LOL

Maybe we should walk in together, like in formation with our bibles out slightly in front of us, like holy crosses setting the evil spirits at bay. Sorry, but I have to work hard at being good, ,,, I mean silent in such situations. I'm going to half to do like extra bible reading this week, you can never get enough in times of trial and tribulation.

1Way

I know, maybe I'll just try counting the Christian clichés, and maybe you count the false doctrines, that'll probably keep us preoccupied instead of looking like we're about ready to :cry: or :shocked: or :sozo2: or :bang:. LOL You know, I'm a bad actor, maybe you don't need these distractions, but I usually do. If you let me have an opening, I'm in there, making a stand. :bannana: You seem more at peace with the universe :Nineveh: , you will probably :bow: rub off :shut: well on me. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

1Way

LOL :thumb: I think I have an article pack around here somewhere. :D

Yorzhik - Our friend DearDelmar is one of a few outstanding rebels in my neck of the woods. In fact, :) wonder woman and superman got hooked up over "not being nicer than God" stuff! No joke, they eventually got married after surviving an initial screen test of biblical scrutiny over "not being nicer than God"! Talk about an interesting testimony, those two.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1Way

LOL :thumb: I think I have an article pack around here somewhere. :D

Yorzhik - Our friend DearDelmar is one of a few outstanding rebels in my neck of the woods. In fact, :) wonder woman and superman got hooked up over "not being nicer than God" stuff! No joke, they eventually got married after surviving an initial screen test of biblical scrutiny over "not being nicer than God"! Talk about an interesting testimony, those two.
Ah you remember my story... and you tell it so well!

1Way

The chords of likeminded faith and appreciation runs deep, you guys are the best.

We'll have to visit you folks too, that way we can offset so much anti-like-mindedness that we should get from the saints at large. LOL

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I might have some obligations to uphold, but I'm getting juiced about this coming Sunday. I'll email you as the day approaches.

So what denomination to you prefer? I like Church of God or Baptist. They seem to have enough biblical knowledge to at least stay in the conversation.

1Way

Yorzhik - "Like" is a word I would easily not use for :eek: denominations, but I get your meaning. Here is what goes on in my head when I consider these sorts of things.

I definitely can not stand to go to a Calvinistic church, they are too offensive.

Armenian's are the bulk of theology that is left. So it's just a pick of the straw if any of them will succumb to bible arguments.
  • If they are free will, they are probably not dispensational.
    If they are dispensational, they probably are not free will.
    If they are anything, they are probably not open view.
    If they are open view, they almost absolutely are not dispensational.
I'd rather try to argue the open view against an Arminian, than dispensationalism with an anti-dispensationalist. I guess most anything is good as long as it's not Calvinistic, especially the 5 pointers.

I understand about your obligations and all that, I'm patiently flexible, and I may visit these other churches in the Shipshewana area some more too. One family is almost taking a liking to me. They are "really" neat, used to be missionaries and they home-school. And Shipshewana is great if you want to learn about the Amish. See, for me, I can be a very free spirit. If everything seemed good to go but something isn't right, then I would very possibly leave early and maybe go somewhere else.

I realize that it might be sort of hard to know where to go, but, we (I) should probably be ok as long as it's not Calvinistic and they really hold to using the bible in discussions. (also see problematic list below)

My recent visit was to two non-denominational churches, and I think that has a special attraction, it's like, if you are Christian, you are welcome here, which is a good deal to be somewhat against denominationalism. But, a very large percentage of non-denoms in this area tend to be pretty charismatic, and that is about as much of a turn off as Calvinism. Then you have the whole issue of liberalism verses conservativism, you get nicer than God types, and homo's are ok types, and people who read from bad paraphrases and call them translations. Yuck. And I almost forgot about the extremist types, like the KJV only's. They can be far out nuts, I have had some good and some really bad experiences. If they are KJV "mostly", I can accept that no problem, but if they are KJV "only", then that also presents serious problems.

So in summary. I am least comfortable with
  • Calvinism (5 pointers) :sozo2:
    Charismatics
    Liberals
    KJV only's
Now, I know of a church down in Warsaw (on the south side though, ugh) that I had started working on the pastor and we would have I think two or so likeminded friends going there. But that is quite a ways further, though I must say, the one gentleman was a Sunday school teacher and was excited after reading The Plot and he seems like a really great guy. Even though the Pastor is somewhat Calvinistic (maybe a 3-4 pointer or so), our discussions lent me a somewhat open door for more... And it is a really pretty neat church. And also, Warsaw is home of a relatively dispensational and grace emphasis type seminary, so that area might be better pickins compared to Notre Damn-ish South Bend.

Now, if you don't mind traveling a bit, since you live further up north, we could go on up to Grand Rapids you know. Up there they have full blown dispensationalism. Except for KJV stuff, the biggest issue would be their inconsistent Calvinism, although they may be more like confused Arminians, they would not tend to be liberal nor charismatic. The college is in Wyoming I believe, which is just south and west of the city. That may be an interesting suggestion in case we get desperate for some place that teaches more likeminded stuff.

But for me, the Warsaw church is about exactly 1 hour away. I live right in downtown Bristol, IN. I think it would be more like 2.2 hours away for me to go to Grand Rapids. If your around northern South Bend, to get to Warsaw would be a fair piece, but you would have the best highways in hundreds of miles around. Just take 31 south to 30 at Plymouth and take a left, hwy 30 runs like a full blown interstate. But we can stay more local too.

My biggest suggestion from my perspective is to play it by ear and hope for the best. We may want to visit several places until a welcome seems to stick. Also, I think that having an in home bible study would be wonderful. Looking forward to your email and getting together.

1Way

Sounds Great Delmar, my brother goes there too. He's taller and more slender built than I, wares glasses and has very short dark hair. I went there before he some (?) years back just before they switched over to the new sanctuary. Back then they had 3 services every Sunday(!) and they have a church service radio ministry, and I liked it (although I was only there for a short spell) except that I experienced a particularly bad situation with a counseling session, so I left mostly because of that. For being a larger church, they seemed to balance things pretty well, decent leadership, no glaring extremes or really bad stuff, probably would promote home schooling, not sure though. Wouldn't have much of a chance getting in and helping the leadership, but the congregation might be more a practical target. Any luck in your ministry there? ;)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I tend to avoid pastors. I know it would be great to have them start teaching biblical truth in its fullness, but they have their careers their legacy and friends and possibly peace with their spouse on the line. Most men will be irrational before they will trash all that.

So I try to identify the "men of good standing" in the church and work on them. They will only lose their church affiliation and all their friends.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1Way

Sounds Great Delmar, my brother goes there too. He's taller and more slender built than I, wares glasses and has very short dark hair. I went there before he some (?) years back just before they switched over to the new sanctuary. Back then they had 3 services every Sunday(!) and they have a church service radio ministry, and I liked it (although I was only there for a short spell) except that I experienced a particularly bad situation with a counseling session, so I left mostly because of that. For being a larger church, they seemed to balance things pretty well, decent leadership, no glaring extremes or really bad stuff, probably would promote home schooling, not sure though. Wouldn't have much of a chance getting in and helping the leadership, but the congregation might be more a practical target. Any luck in your ministry there? ;)
what's your brothers first name. He's not in the directory but it's 2 years old and nether am I.

1Way

Sent you a PM on my brother. Still curious about spreading the good news over there. :)