Forgiveness wins

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In 2016, three Arkansas men vandalized a local mosque with racist graffiti. Recently, one of these men, Abraham Davis, was facing years in prison for failing to pay the fine for that crime.

That's when the community from the same mosque cut him a cheque.

As It Happens host Carol Off spoke with Dr. Louay Nassri, president of the Al Salam mosque in Fort Smith, Ark., about why he decided to forgive Davis and handover $1,700 US.

Dr. Nassri, why did your mosque decide to pay the fine for Abraham Davis?

"Well, it's because he was sentenced to six years suspended. So he did his community service and he started paying the fines every month and then we heard that he and his family are having financial stress and actually they were evicted from their house and we didn't want him to go to prison for six years for his mistakes. So we decided in the mosque to pay his fine."

But he did the crime. Why not do the time?

"Because first of all, he sent us a very sincere letter of apology. And his brother told us very clearly that he was not the instigator, and he showed clear remorse and apologized sincerely. So we forgave him. And like anybody who does something bad to you, and then he apologizes you'll forgive him. It should be over. It should not be hanging over his head for the rest of his life.

But I mean really, at the time that we did this, we didn't think that it was something unusual. We thought this is what anybody should do if somebody does something bad to you and apologizes. You'll forgive him. And go on."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...s-fine-of-man-who-defaced-its-walls-1.4470595

I used to have some clients up in Ft. Smith area. Still visit from time to time, just because it's such a great place. This is typical of the people in that area. The kindest and most hospitable people you'll ever meet. Apparently, the Muslims fit in just fine there.

Danoh

In 2016, three Arkansas men vandalized a local mosque with racist graffiti. Recently, one of these men, Abraham Davis, was facing years in prison for failing to pay the fine for that crime.

That's when the community from the same mosque cut him a cheque.

As It Happens host Carol Off spoke with Dr. Louay Nassri, president of the Al Salam mosque in Fort Smith, Ark., about why he decided to forgive Davis and handover $1,700 US.

Dr. Nassri, why did your mosque decide to pay the fine for Abraham Davis?

"Well, it's because he was sentenced to six years suspended. So he did his community service and he started paying the fines every month and then we heard that he and his family are having financial stress and actually they were evicted from their house and we didn't want him to go to prison for six years for his mistakes. So we decided in the mosque to pay his fine."

But he did the crime. Why not do the time?

"Because first of all, he sent us a very sincere letter of apology. And his brother told us very clearly that he was not the instigator, and he showed clear remorse and apologized sincerely. So we forgave him. And like anybody who does something bad to you, and then he apologizes you'll forgive him. It should be over. It should not be hanging over his head for the rest of his life.

But I mean really, at the time that we did this, we didn't think that it was something unusual. We thought this is what anybody should do if somebody does something bad to you and apologizes. You'll forgive him. And go on."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...s-fine-of-man-who-defaced-its-walls-1.4470595

I used to have some clients up in Ft. Smith area. Still visit from time to time, just because it's such a great place. This is typical of the people in that area. The kindest and most hospitable people you'll ever meet. Apparently, the Muslims fit in just fine there.

Yep.

Some Palestinians from Jerusalem own a supermarket near an area I go into to shop.

I went in there one day. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Always, they are cutting a person's bill or just giving them one thing or another - a dozen eggs, or a free gallon of milk, or grapes, and so on.

Some Iraqis I know. Same deal. Any time I visit them I have to fight with them that I already ate.

Are they all like that?

Nope.

Have I met just as many that are, as not?

Yep.

As my own mom always says "this extra food is just in case some one shows up hungry."

Only in my already great, great, great - America.

No thank you Trump dementia.