DIFFERING GOSPELS

DougE

This is a study showing that there are different gospels in the Bible. It is not an exhaustive study, but I am hitting some highlights.

Let me clarify from the beginning that if one believes that Christ died for our sins ( He paid the full and complete, once for all penalty for sin ), was buried and rose again ( for our justification, in giving us His righteousness and forgiveness of all sin and eternal life ) that is the essential thing.
This study is to deepen our understanding of His word and of the working and wonder of God, and is not designed to cause contention. This topic is presented as my understanding of scripture and is not forced upon anyone.

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. Galatians 3:8

The gospel was given to Abraham. A gospel is glad tidings, good news. The obligation of mankind is to believe what God said. Abraham believed.

And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. Genesis 15:5

And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. Genesis 15:6

The gospel was given to Israel in the wilderness.

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. Hebrews 4:2

What gospel was the writer of Hebrews referring to ?

Behold, I have set the land before you: go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give unto them and to their seed after them. Deuteronomy 1:8

The gospel of entering into God's rest thru belief in the book of Hebrews is not the same gospel given to Israel in the wilderness to possess the land. We can see how the word gospel can have more than just one use in the Bible.

Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom.

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. Mark 1:15

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 4:17

The kingdom was promised to Israel, wherein, they would inherit an earthly kingdom and reign with Christ. Israel was to believe that Jesus was the Son of God, the Messiah. Placing faith and trust in Jesus would justify them unto eternal life. Obeying his commandments would physically save them to enter the kingdom. Upon belief the kingdom would have been ushered in.

And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:69

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Matthew 25:34

Christ began to speak of his death and resurrection but the apostles did not understand it at that time.

And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. Luke 18:34

Christ commissioned the twelve to preach the kingdom of heaven, the gospel of the kingdom.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Matthew 28:19

This is the gospel Peter preached.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; Acts 3:19

God promised a new covenant to Israel.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Jeremiah 31:31

God would enable Israel to be the blessing to the Gentiles that they could not be on their own. All the gentiles in the kingdom would be saved thru Israel.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

This, from my understanding, is the gospel of the circumcision found in Galatians 2:7 ; Christ died and rose again to forgive Israel and empower them, thru the Spirit, to place their faith in Him and to obey his commandments and enter the kingdom, wherein, they would be a light to the gentiles. Israel fell due to unbelief and rejection of this gospel; only a remnant believed, the little flock.

Paul was given the gospel of Christ. Israel was temporarily set aside and Paul became the apostle to the gentiles. Revealed was salvation and justification given freely to all by faith alone, in Christ alone. Both Paul and Peter preached to jews and gentiles. Both the gospels they preached had overlap and similarities. Paul was given revelation by Christ and a dispensation of grace.

For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. 1 Corinthians 9:17

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

This is Paul's gospel ( not of his own invention but by revelation of The Lord Jesus Christ ) .

Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 2 Timothy 2:8

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 1 Corinthians 15:1

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 1 Corinthians 15:3

And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 1 Corinthians 15:4

Paul was given revelation of a mystery.

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, Romans 16:25

That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Ephesians 3:6

The everlasting gospel preached during the tribulation.

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Revelation 14:6

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. Revelation 14:7

The gospel of God is the progressive revelation of God's provision of salvation to mankind. It has always been by grace. It has always been by the blood of Christ, whereby God from the beginning could offer forgiveness to all. It has always been by faith, by believing God.

Epoisses

The gospel of the kingdom that Jesus preached included faith, love and the new-birth which is the same thing that Paul and Peter preached except they used the phrase 'kingdom of God' or 'everlasting kingdom'.

Dispensational unbelievers pervert the one true gospel into a multitude of gospels to their utter confusion.