Daniel 11:37

nikolai_42

Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all
Dan 11:37

I have had a thought about this passage that ties in with the identification of it with a final days Antichrist. I don't necessarily agree with the underlying idea that the Antichrist will be the political leader many believe today (in the vein of futurist premillennial eschatology) but for the purpose of this post, I'm assuming it's at least a partial possibility.

So the question is in regard to the phrase regarding the desire of women. In the past, commentators have decided that this meant either a eunuch (or someone who denies marriage and such relationships) or a homosexual. Obviously not an exhaustive set of possibilities, but those have been reasonably common assumptions. But in the light of modern culture and the situation in which we find ourselves - with overt sexuality and an abundance of flesh being represented (and even aggressively pushed) in all media, could it be that this might imply that in a culture that has so indulged and engulfed itself in the fleshly, that this individual would reject all that in favor of focusing on his work at hand? The last phrase in the verse, of course, has a very close analog in 2 Thessalonians 2 with reference to the Man of Sin :

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

To take it a step further, the possibility that this could even be talking about a type of man - the man of the day exalting himself to the extent that he sees himself as Divine (like the whole Eastern/New Age theology that asserts that you are either God or God is in everyone). If this is the falling away, then not only does it have a hold on this verse, but the reference to the number of a man in Revelation has at least some possible reference to it :

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Revelation 13:16-18

In no way am I saying this is an airtight argument - just floating the initial idea contained in Daniel (and seeing if it not only has validity on its own but by extension in combination with the above 2 NT passages).