Computer sales dropping

CherubRam

Since 2011 computer sales have been declining. This is also bad for internet websites. I have noticed that those who use tablets or phones seldom participate in forums on the Internet. Could this problem be due to corporate greed? My NEW software and hardware became obsolete after I bought them. The products also did not last very long. Windows 10 is a bummer, I'm having to learn where things are at AGAIN. The graphics are also poor. Some of my threads have been #1 on the Internet over the years, now I am lucky if my threads can be found at all.

chair

.. Could this problem be due to corporate greed? ...

Isn't everything?
my shoes don't fit well. I have sore toes. I make a lot of typos. I burnt my omelette last night. we're running out of milk. 9-11. North Korea's bomb. ISIS. Stale bread.

Everything is a plot. it is all corporate greed. There is nothing real.

Except human stupidity. That is real.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
thanks to corporate greed
you now have more choices than ever
it may take some time
to figure out what is best for you

have you heard about the chromebox?

It's my understanding they are decent as a back up, but not as a primary PC.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
maybe your old pc should be your back up

It will be ... as soon as I get it fixed. Dell wanted $261 to fix a computer that is barely over a year old.

My computer tech can fix it for around $100.00.

Lesson: Don't buy a Dell.

PureX

Since 2011 computer sales have been declining. This is also bad for internet websites. I have noticed that those who use tablets or phones seldom participate in forums on the Internet. Could this problem be due to corporate greed? My NEW software and hardware became obsolete after I bought them. The products also did not last very long. Windows 10 is a bummer, I'm having to learn where things are at AGAIN. The graphics are also poor. Some of my threads have been #1 on the Internet over the years, now I am lucky if my threads can be found at all.
Partly it's the interface on these new phones and tablets - they're not conducive to typing out long messages. Or to reading them. Partly it's that younger people don't care about opinion debate. They've grown up in a culture of internet and media 'spin', and they know better than to believe any of it. Or they just don't care. They use their phones and tablets to connect with their friends, and to find things, not to post opinions or debate issues.

CherubRam

Partly it's the interface on these new phones and tablets - they're not conducive to typing out long messages. Or to reading them. Partly it's that younger people don't care about opinion debate. They've grown up in a culture of internet and media 'spin', and they know better than to believe any of it. Or they just don't care. They use their phones and tablets to connect with their friends, and to find things, not to post opinions or debate issues.
Correct. Typing any long message is a burden. Also, Internet time cost a lot more.

Buzzword

I've been working as a tech support consultant for a local computer repair shop for the past few months, and I haven't seen much of a drop in computer sales.
What I have seen are more computers (desktops and laptops) taking on more tablet-like qualities, especially touchscreens.
Which boggles my mind given that we already had two perfectly good input tools, neither of which involve smudging skin oil all over one's monitor.
The hardcore gaming rigs seem completely unaffected, but they also provide different input options, especially console controllers with USB plugs.

Especially when such debates tend to turn into ad hominem shouting matches if embarked upon with strangers (*coughTOLcough*), or result in drama and potentially lost relationships if done among friends.

Though it confuses me that teens and young adults (and, startlingly enough, older adults) are still using "LOL," "BRB," etc. when we've had phones able to send paragraphs in a single text message for years now.
And with predictive text it's easier than ever to text in complete sentences.

I haven't seen a drop in political discussion among my particular circle online, but I can understand that if educated young adults see nothing but insults being hurled like grenades by extremists over a digital no-man's-land, they'd be hesitant to join the fray.

Especially since college-educated adults tend to have much more nuanced positions regarding political issues, having been exposed to a larger variety of viewpoints (and individual, real people) than their less- or uneducated counterparts, and bringing a nuanced position into the typical political forum online is like a trained swordsman walking into a roomful of drunkards with clubs.

One cuts and stabs and slices, but no matter how one rhetorically makes them bleed, one's opponents just keep swinging the same old oversimplified, propaganda-fueled cliches.

Every political (and religious) forum in which I've ever participated should have been named "I Come To Fight".
Interaction with real people with real names and real faces can lead to greater understanding, of another's perspective if not of the world at large.
But too many people go online NOT seeking understanding, but seeking validation of the position they've already set in stone, and are apparently willing to be the worst sort of person in order to feel that validation.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lesson: Don't buy a Dell.

They would be out of business but the government does not act in the best interest of the tax payers nor its missions and they bought Dell products some years back. It was declared the contract awards would be spread around for the sake of spreading around. And Uncle Sam bought a bunch of product that would not otherwise sell keeping the garbage afloat.

PureX

I've been working as a tech support consultant for a local computer repair shop for the past few months, and I haven't seen much of a drop in computer sales.
What I have seen are more computers (desktops and laptops) taking on more tablet-like qualities, especially touchscreens.
Which boggles my mind given that we already had two perfectly good input tools, neither of which involve smudging skin oil all over one's monitor.
The hardcore gaming rigs seem completely unaffected, but they also provide different input options, especially console controllers with USB plugs.

Especially when such debates tend to turn into ad hominem shouting matches if embarked upon with strangers (*coughTOLcough*), or result in drama and potentially lost relationships if done among friends.

Though it confuses me that teens and young adults (and, startlingly enough, older adults) are still using "LOL," "BRB," etc. when we've had phones able to send paragraphs in a single text message for years now.
And with predictive text it's easier than ever to text in complete sentences.

I haven't seen a drop in political discussion among my particular circle online, but I can understand that if educated young adults see nothing but insults being hurled like grenades by extremists over a digital no-man's-land, they'd be hesitant to join the fray.

Especially since college-educated adults tend to have much more nuanced positions regarding political issues, having been exposed to a larger variety of viewpoints (and individual, real people) than their less- or uneducated counterparts, and bringing a nuanced position into the typical political forum online is like a trained swordsman walking into a roomful of drunkards with clubs.

One cuts and stabs and slices, but no matter how one rhetorically makes them bleed, one's opponents just keep swinging the same old oversimplified, propaganda-fueled cliches.

Every political (and religious) forum in which I've ever participated should have been named "I Come To Fight".
Interaction with real people with real names and real faces can lead to greater understanding, of another's perspective if not of the world at large.
But too many people go online NOT seeking understanding, but seeking validation of the position they've already set in stone, and are apparently willing to be the worst sort of person in order to feel that validation.
I don't think there are a great number of people who are interested in these kinds of debates, anyway. Even in the "olden days" of the internet, most chat rooms were filled with nothing more than an ongoing litany of pointless small talk. I could never figure out why people used them to say basically nothing. And when looking for a discussion in some particular field of interest, all I could ever find were technical debates over obscure minutia. It was hard to find a discussion site where people would actually say what they thought, and then discuss it. It's basically why I began using sites like TOL (before TOL existed). At least the zealots were willing to say what they thought about things. Even if they weren't particularly interested in listening to anyone. :chuckle: