ECT Christian response to gay-marriage

jzeidler

Well this is an interesting day when a federal government passes a law that the majority didn’t want. On this historic day I ponder what Jesus would say about this gay-marriage law. First I think he would say that he didn’t come to make America a theocracy so don’t try to make it one. But I firmly believe he would say something along these lines, “I’ll love you despite what you choose to do or who you love. But don’t call a union a marriage that I and my Father don’t call marriage.” This law doesn’t change the simple fact that marriage is between a man and a woman, nothing else. You can call a gay relationship a civil union that’s fine, but it’s not a marriage. It just isn’t. Now if you’re an atheist this law is irrational since gay marriage does nothing for society. It doesn’t bring children into the world to bring about the upward evolution of humanity. Now there are going to be people who will say to those who disagree with this law that you’re ‘homophobic.’ If that’s the case in also 'suicidalphobic’ since I disagree with suicide. Do you see the illogical mindset of people who say 'because you disagree with this you’re homophobic’? So, the moral of this whole long post is be like Jesus, love everyone and accept them with grace, but don’t call it marriage.

revpete

One of the most used arguments in favour of same sex marriage is: How many times did Jesus condemn homosexuality? I would ask: How many times did He condone it? Also I would ask: How many times did Jesus condone same sex marriage? Every time Jesus spoke about marriage He mentioned a man and a woman never did He mention that marriage could be between members of the same sex.

oatmeal

One of the most used arguments in favour of same sex marriage is: How many times did Jesus condemn homosexuality? I would ask: How many times did He condone it? Also I would ask: How many times did Jesus condone same sex marriage? Every time Jesus spoke about marriage He mentioned a man and a woman never did He mention that marriage could be between members of the same sex.

That is a good point, yet if Jesus spoke of it as error once, that should be enough to show that homosexuality is indeed sin.

And indeed Jesus did speak of it in the context of sin as a rejection of truth.

Matthew 10:15

Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Matthew 11:23

And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Matthew 11:24

But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Mark 6:11

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Luke 10:12

But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

Luke 17:26-30

And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Homosexuality is a sin that can be overcome. As Jesus said, if the mighty works that were done in Capernaum were done in Sodom, Sodom would have been remained to this day. Why? Because the mighty works would have convinced enough of them to turn to the truth and repent of their wickedness.

We must learn to do the mighty works that Jesus did if we are to positively influence our communities.