BAPTIZED IN THE NAME OF JESUS

DougE

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

John spoke below in regard to his baptism;

Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

The disciples of John were limited in their knowledge. They only knew the baptism of John and had only been baptized with John's baptism.

John baptized Israel for repentance for remission of sins to prepare them for the earthly kingdom. He baptized them to be cleansed to enter the kingdom and to be prepared for national priesthood.

John baptized in order to identify Jesus as their Messiah.

Paul preached Jesus unto these disciples of John. He preached that John's baptism was to produce repentance to Israel to believe on Jesus.

The disciples believed and were baptized in the name of Jesus as commanded under Israel's kingdom program (Mark 16:16).

Below Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Ghost was not given until after his resurrection. The disciples of John would not have expected to receive the Holy Spirit upon belief;

John 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Paul laid hands on the disciples and they received the Spirit.

The disciples of John also, according to prophecy below, spoke in tongues; Jesus said those that believed and were baptized would be saved to enter into the kingdom of God on earth.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Paul went to the Synagogue and preached the kingdom of God. The kingdom includes both heaven and earth. Believing Israel will inherit the earthly kingdom. The Body of Christ will inherit the heavenly kingdom. Paul preached the heavenly kingdom (2 Timothy 4:18).

clefty

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

The disciples of John were limited in their knowledge. They only knew the baptism of John and had only been baptized with John's baptism.

John baptized Israel for repentance for remission of sins to prepare them for the earthly kingdom. He baptized them to be cleansed to enter the kingdom and to be prepared for national priesthood.

Paul preached Jesus unto these disciples of John. He preached that John's baptism was to produce repentance to Israel to believe on Jesus.

The disciples believed and were baptized in the name of Jesus as commanded under Israel's kingdom program (Mark 16:16).

Below Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Ghost was not given until after his resurrection. The disciples of John would not have expected to receive the Holy Spirit upon belief;

John 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The disciples of John also, according to prophecy below, spoke in tongues; Jesus said those that believed and were baptized would be saved to enter into the kingdom of God on earth.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Paul went to the Synagogue and preached the kingdom of God. The kingdom includes both heaven and earth. Believing Israel will inherit the earthly kingdom. The Body of Christ will inherit the heavenly kingdom. Paul preached the heavenly kingdom (2 Timothy 4:18).

You do realize that His name was not Jesus yes?

Since baptism is considered a “legal” event a sign and public testimony it might be good to confirm who all is attended...

Oh and you know He was also not born into a family known as Mr. Joseph & Mary Christ...

Names are important in these serious circumstance and life time events...

KerimF

It happens that I was baptised in Spirit (when I accepted the Holy Spirit in me to guide me) and my two witnesses are my Father in Heaven and Jesus.

TrevorL

Greetings Doug,
No, only one Kingdom to be established upon the earth when Jesus returns. Both Jews and Gentiles will be raised from their sleep in the grave with Paul when Jesus returns to inherit and participate in this Kingdom during the 1000 years Matthew 19:28, 1 Timothy 4:1,6-8. The concept that the immortal souls and / or bodies of the Gentiles will be sitting on clouds in heaven plucking harps while Jesus is upon the earth on the Throne of David Isaiah 2:1-4 is absurd. There is one Kingdom, one Hope. Peter preached to the Jews at Pentecost, Peter preached to Cornelius, a Gentile, Philip preached to the Samaritans, Paul preached to the Jews, former disciples of John, Paul preached to the Jews and Gentiles at Rome, all one Kingdom.

Kind regards
Trevor

DAN P

Greetings Doug, No, only one Kingdom to be established upon the earth when Jesus returns. Both Jews and Gentiles will be raised from their sleep in the grave with Paul when Jesus returns to inherit and participate in this Kingdom during the 1000 years Matthew 19:28, 1 Timothy 4:1,6-8. The concept that the immortal souls and / or bodies of the Gentiles will be sitting on clouds in heaven plucking harps while Jesus is upon the earth on the Throne of David Isaiah 2:1-4 is absurd. There is one Kingdom, one Hope. Peter preached to the Jews at Pentecost, Peter preached to Cornelius, a Gentile, Philip preached to the Samaritans, Paul preached to the Jews, former disciples of John, Paul preached to the Jews and Gentiles at Rome, all one Kingdom.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hi and and Gal 1:22 and 23 show that there were 3 programs and three different people being preached , at the same time !

#1 The Law of Moses

#2 , Gal 2:8 the Gospel of THE UNCIRCUMCISION by Paul

#3 Gal 2:8 THE CIRCUMCISION by Peter !

And why nin Acts 19:3 does it have the b Greek word BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED and then in the same verse have the Greek word BAPTISM / BAPTISMA , in the Greek ACCUSATIVE CASE ?

dan p

TrevorL

Greetings DAN P,
Hi and and Gal 1:22 and 23 show that there were 3 programs and three different people being preached , at the same time !
#1 The Law of Moses
And why nin Acts 19:3 does it have the b Greek word BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED and then in the same verse have the Greek word BAPTISM / BAPTISMA , in the Greek ACCUSATIVE CASE ?
There is only one gospel Romans 1:1-4,16-17 Galatians 1:1-9.

Kind regards
Trevor

KerimF

"Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful:"
I am afraid that only the person who is baptised really knows what Jesus refers to.

DougE

You do realize that His name was not Jesus yes?

Since baptism is considered a “legal” event a sign and public testimony it might be good to confirm who all is attended...

Oh and you know He was also not born into a family known as Mr. Joseph & Mary Christ...

Names are important in these serious circumstance and life time events...

"Since baptism is considered a “legal” event a sign and public testimony it might be good to confirm who all is attended.."
No where does Paul say baptism is a testimony.
In fact for Israel baptism was for repentance for remission of sins.

DougE

#1 The Law of Moses

dan p

The churches in Galatians 1:22-23 was the church of God comprised of the believing remnant of Israel that believed on the name of Jesus.

clefty

"Since baptism is considered a “legal” event a sign and public testimony it might be good to confirm who all is attended.."
No where does Paul say baptism is a testimony.
In fact for Israel baptism was for repentance for remission of sins.

oh good grief...was baptism done in secret by yourself to yourself?...mikvehs sure but even then other people knew you were washed clean...

but not a testimony to witness? of course you wish others to witness your pledge and the death to your former self and your rebirth in Him...

Yahushua Himself didn't need it for remission of Sin (to die twice?) but to TESTIFY of His readiness to serve fresh and clean...Even His Father witnessed His testimony and confirmed it with the His Spirit descending...

1 Peter 3:21 - "and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.."

Colossians 2:21 - "having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead."

Let me guess only Israel needs remission of sin as only Israel (and by Israel you don't mean spiritual Israel but Jews...not the inner Jew either with circumcised heart) is under the Law to point sin out right?

The rest of us in the body NOT doing as its Head testified we do...just don't want to wash clean and fresh to witness for Him right?

Oh and I imagine that Him saying He washed clean to "fulfill all righteousness" means for you by His fulfilling He destroyed/abrogated/changed righteousness too?

Wick Stick

oh good grief...was baptism done in secret by yourself to yourself?...mikvehs sure but even then other people knew you were washed clean...

but not a testimony to witness? of course you wish others to witness your pledge and the death to your former self and your rebirth in Him...

Yahushua Himself didn't need it for remission of Sin (to die twice?) but to TESTIFY of His readiness to serve fresh and clean...Even His Father witnessed His testimony and confirmed it with the His Spirit descending...
Baptism isn't something you "do," it's something done TO YOU. The testimony is on the part of the group/family, showing that they accept you as part of their membership.

clefty

Baptism isn't something you "do," it's something done TO YOU. The testimony is on the part of the group/family, showing that they accept you as part of their membership.

Yes thanks that was better said...

I was merely eluding to this public dedication spectacle of it all and thus the need for specific and accurately named witnesses...much like a marriage ceremony and yes infant baptism when NAMES are recorded...specific and accurately...

Indeed baptism echoes back to cirucmscision when on the 8th day a male infant was taken to be cut...the infant was not burdened with that choice as were later believing goyim males...no jew ever had to make that choice it was made by his parents which then recorded it for posterity in temple logs...the males being the indicator of tribal identity and lineage...unlike modern Judaism which is maternal...

...and yet in Acts 15 here were some from Judea claiming unless goyim adults were circumcised in the custom of Moses (eighth day) they could NOT be saved...a demand NEVER found in the OT...as 1)circumcision was NEVER salvific 2) how could adult men be reborn into eight day old infants? Is why Peter concluded the matter as testing Yah and that they should NOT place such a burden on goyim which neither their fathers or themselves were able to lift/bear because it was IMOSSIBLE

...Yahushua noted this hypocrisyof giving to others burdens...not personally shared...already in Matt 23:4 and Luke 11:46 His commandments after all are NOT burdensome 1 John 5:3...how many times have I had to hear that circumcision was too much to bear or it was for Jews only...all this to argue it was done away with like the Sabbath...as too Jewish...

This infant circumcision however was replaced by baptism and was made salvific...despite it being the parents doing it to the infant...that understanding of course was in turn challenged and finally it was adults which then voluntarily made the less burdensome pledge to symbolically die and be reborn...cleaned from sin...

somehow adult mikveh bathing for cleanliness (spiritually and physically) was conflated with infant circumcision as a sign of sacrifice and dedication on the parents part into a washing away of sins...

But my point was that at baptism as a public event for testimony and witness it is prudent to name exactly specifically and accurately the NAMES of all present...humans included...some even echo the temple record keeping by declaring a NEW NAME at baptism...as the former self is dead...

Clearly anything done in the name of someone is notable...don’t swear falsely...don’t use it in vain (the commandment is referring to the do NOT literally take/carry from Sinai to the promised land His Name in vain) and being “made dead to the law of sin and death and alive again in Him” is all done IN THE NAME of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit...which got me to think...”we have a name for our Father...and His Son...but we don’t have a name for the Holy Spirit”...hmmmm

Names as demonstrated with birth and death baptism and marriage and lineage are important legal quarantees...important also when it comes to signing covenants and the book of life...be sure you have the proper Ones as testator and executor creator and author and finisher...HalleluYah

KerimF

One cannot deny that, around the world, there are different ways which are adopted as being the right baptism.
Doesn't this mean that, speaking practically, there are different Bodies of Christ? Naturally, every Body of Christ has to claim being the true one.

By the way, since my baptism is in Spirit (post #3), I can't see myself belonging to any of the worldly Bodies of Christ.
Jesus, I personally knew directly from the Gospel, says clearly: "I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine"

clefty

Oh my...so now there are also two different Spirits? Both holy of course? One a Spirit the other a Ghost? With differing agendas and instructions and ministries...or the same Spirit with a new name and new agenda new instructions new another gospel? Contrary His original Law?

And thus two sets of citizens? Of course...yes the kingdom is divided between those that did vs. those that wouldnt...didnt think they had too...didn’t want to...

Never mind the literal planet will be baptized by fire left desolate satan bound and when The New Jerusalem comes down from Heaven this New Heaven and New Earth will be our home...just like it was promised by Him His Law to both obedient Native and Foreigners back in the OT when the ekklessia was in the wilderness...Isaiah makes clear ALL will come and worship and he even gives the times: New Moon to New Moon Sabbath to Sabbath...Isaiah 66:23

interesting note on John 7:39:

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(39) The word "given" is omitted in nearly all MSS. except the Vatican.

Last edited:

KerimF

... when The New Jerusalem comes down from Heaven this New Heaven and New Earth will be our home...

Sorry, I know it is off topic but this is the first time I hear this belief rather clearly though I suppose it is not newly introduced.

I mean; I have to be careful, from now on, not to refer to the newly created country in Middle East which was given the name Israel as being the New Israel.

From what I heard here, it seems the New Israel/Jerusalem is waiting in Heaven.

Although it is hard for me to imagine an earthly place in Heaven (as Allah's paradise in which all earthly things will be found there), I wonder if the people in the New Jerusalem which will come down from Heaven will reign the same physical world in which we live now.

Thank you.

clefty

Sorry, I know it is off topic but this is the first time I hear this belief rather clearly though I suppose it is not newly introduced.
the first century ekklessia understood it replaced Jews cut off for their unbelief...initially and for centuries believers were even considered a Jewish sect by Rome...how odd if the customs of Moses were all done away with right? Even Sabbath keeping was an issue to be addressed even AFTER Constantine...he even changed the calendar to divorce christians even further from all things “jewish”...

I mean; I have to be careful, from now on, not to refer to the newly created country in Middle East which was given the name Israel as being the New Israel.
indeed...it is not even the old Israel as these are they “which call themselves jews but are not jews”...this modern state is actually considered apostate by Torah true Jews who know they are to wait for the Messiah to establish Israel and not stooopid rich elite secretative lying men with a NWO agenda...

From what I heard here, it seems the New Israel/Jerusalem is waiting in Heaven.
Yes indeed...repeated is His claim His kingdom is to come...not of this world...”I go to prepare a place for you that where I AM...you might be also”...SEE? Where I AM...is HOLY...is why we are to learn now how we will live where I AM...

And then the New City will come down...ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN...all this IS a shadow to what is UP THERE...and when the New Heaven and the New Earth are made we will be finally RESTORED COMPLETELY as it was in EDEN...when I AM was and walked with us...and rested...after six days of work...

Although it is hard for me to imagine an earthly place in Heaven (as Allah's paradise in which all earthly things will be found there), I wonder if the people in the New Jerusalem which will come down from Heaven will reign the same physical world in which we live now.
yes...is WHY there is ONLY ONE...and we should want to learn to be the good citizens we are when we believe He created for us a world...and will renew it having restored His Own who follow Him His Way as it is where “I AM” you might be also...

Thank you.
halleluYah

but yes research christian Zionism, Zionism, Scofield Darby, Mid Acts Dispensationalism...Vatican 2 views on Jews...

And of course compare that to what is in scripture...second coming with its first resurrection of His who overcame “well done”...to return with Him to Sukkot with Him...meanwhile 1000 year desolate world and Satan bound...and finally New Jerusalem coming down...NO TEMPLE as HE IS...

And then eternity here in a garden as if this detour of sin and sacrifices never was...but now restored as it was in the beginning...When He created those six days and then rested the seventh day and made it Holy...in an already pure clean and sinless world...

That eternal kingdom is what we are baptized into...testifying a desire to be washed clean...His to do His will...exactly as did He...