ECT Baptism: No longer for today? Why did it ever exist then?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why not a combination; Baptisms at the same time like on the day of Pentecost?

What are you talking about? There is only one baptism today, and that is by the Holy Spirit into Christ. His death and resurrection. I am identified with him. My life is hid in Christ. Pentecost has nothing to do with it. I am not an Israelite.

Cross Reference

What are you talking about? There is only one baptism today, and that is by the Holy Spirit into Christ. His death and resurrection. I am identified with him. My life is hid in Christ. Pentecost has nothing to do with it. I am not an Israelite.

Consdering this has nothing directly to do with our salvation: who was it JTB said would ". . . . baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" Luke 3:16 (KJV)?
?

turbosixx

You are right, Dan. Today there is only "one baptism" (Eph.4:5) and that baptism is the one where One Spirit baptizes believers into the Body of Christ (1 Cor.12:13).

Those Christians in 1 Corinthians that Paul is talking to, were they water baptized?

oatmeal

Lon's answer on this is the same as mine.

That is what you say, however, how do I know that to be true?

Scripture speaks of John's water baptism which both John the B and Jesus Christ stated would be replaced by baptism in holy spirit. I am sure you are fully capable of looking up those passages. Once you have found them and read them and believe them, then you will know that water baptism important in the gospel period, is useless in this age of grace. It was replaced by something far greater, baptism in holy spirit. Note: it was called baptism in holy spirit only in reference to the original outpouring on the day of Pentecost. Peter, on that same day begins referring to the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, Acts 2:38. This "in the name of Jesus Christ" refers to all that Jesus Christ accomplished for us by his life, ministry, death resurrection, ascension, seating on the right hand of God and his shedding forth the promise of the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:33. When you dig into these passages, I believe your understanding of God's love and care for humanity, especially those who choose to believe, will be greatly expanded and illuminated.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is what you say, however, how do I know that to be true?

Ask him.

And baptism by the Holy Spirit into is not the same as Pentecost, when the Lord Jesus Christ baptized with the Holy Spirit.

@Lon;

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

There are two baptisms mentioned in Acts 2:38 one of water and one of the Holy Spirit.

The baptism with water belonged to the dispensation which was in effect at that time but not for the present dispensation. Those who were baptized with water received the "gift of the Holy Spirit."

Was this a "gift" bestowed by the Holy Spirit or was the Holy Spirit the gift? In order to find the answer let us look at the following passage where the same phrase is used:

"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God" (Acts 10:44-46).​

The Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius and his household and those who had accompanied Peter were astonished that "the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles." How did they know that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Cornelius and his household?

They knew that they had received the "gift of the Holy Spirit" because "they heard them speak with tongues." Let us look at these verses again:

"...the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God."

Here the word "for" is translated from the Greek word gar, and the meaning of that word as used here is "it addresses the Cause or gives the Reason of a preceding statement or opinion" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon).

The reason that those with Peter knew that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out was because they heard them speak with tongues. So we can understand that the "gift of the Holy Spirit" was the ability to speak in tongues.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The baptism with water belonged to the dispensation which was in effect at that time but not for the present dispensation. Those who were baptized with water received the "gift of the Holy Spirit."

Was this a "gift" bestowed by the Holy Spirit or was the Holy Spirit the gift? In order to find the answer let us look at the following passage where the same phrase is used:

"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God" (Acts 10:44-46).​

The Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius and his household and those who had accompanied Peter were astonished that "the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles." How did they know that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Cornelius and his household?

They knew that they had received the "gift of the Holy Spirit" because "they heard them speak with tongues." Let us look at these verses again:

"...the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God."

Here the word "for" is translated from the Greek word gar, and the meaning of that word as used here is "it addresses the Cause or gives the Reason of a preceding statement or opinion" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon).

The reason that those with Peter knew that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out was because they heard them speak with tongues. So we can understand that the "gift of the Holy Spirit" was the ability to speak in tongues.

THE Gift is not the same as the gift of tongues.

One is evidence of the other.

Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

LA

Cross Reference

The message on the day of Pentecost was about the redemption of righteous men being fulfilled than unrighteous men being saved from hell.

DAN P

The message on the day of Pentecost was about the redemption of righteous men being fulfilled than unrighteous men being saved from hell.

Hi and it was referring to the house of Israel that they had CRUCIFIED their MESSIAH and the message was to be BAPTIZO / CLEANSED for that sin , of killing Jesus and then they would receive the forgiveness of SINS and receive the HOLY SPIRIT , verse 2:39 and verse 39 , and that promise is also to all their children , that are scattered among the Rome empire !!

These people in Pentecost were NOT Righteous men !!

The verb in verse 38 SHALL RECEIVE is in the Greek FUTURE TENSE and that will take place during the first 3 1/2 YEARS of the Great Tribulation !!

dan

Last edited: