An Electoral College Vote or a General Vote?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It was established in the Constitution Article 2, Section 1

The process was changed in the 12th Amendment.

The founders were leery of pure democracy and felt that direct election of the president by popular vote would wind up with populist presidents who were beholden to the ever-changing winds of popular opinion instead of reasoned leadership. The alternatives debated was having the state legislatures choose a president or the Congress but they then felt that the president would then be too beholden to the states or Congress respectively. So they eventually settled on letting the states choose how to choose the president with the electoral college as a method to add a layer of separation.

The states subsequently moved as close as they could in this system to a popular election of the president and we are seeing just the effects from that the founders feared.

Thank you for the source material. We live by the Constitution so we need to go by this. Is there a process whereby one makes it known that he is willing to be the President or can the vote be for any citizen who meets the qualifications for President? I don't think this is saying a person who "runs for President" needs to have a running mate.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The US has an unusual history, in that it is a federation of independent states. Both the electoral college and the makeup of the Senate reflect this.

It may be interesting to compare this system to other countries. Here (Israel) we have a more direct democracy. We have about a dozen parties, some of which represent fairly small groups. The advantage is that more types of people get represented. There are parties that represent different economic, political, religious or ethnic views. The price is the difficulty in putting together a coalition after the election.

Interesting. Thank you.

Does the United States of America have its Constitutional Republic?

In Israel would we have a Theocracy if not a democracy?

Kit the Coyote

Thank you for the source material. We live by the Constitution so we need to go by this. Is there a process whereby one makes it known that he is willing to be the President or can the vote be for any citizen who meets the qualifications for President? I don't think this is saying a person who "runs for President" needs to have a running mate.

The method is determined by each state though effectively the Republican and Democratic parties have effectively managed the primary process to rig things in their favor these days. Commonly now is candidates indicate their desire to run and if affiliated with a major party participate in that parties primary or caucus election system.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The method is determined by each state though effectively the Republican and Democratic parties have effectively managed the primary process to rig things in their favor these days. Commonly now is candidates indicate their desire to run and if affiliated with a major party participate in that parties primary or caucus election system.

I do not have a Political Party.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

For the 2nd time in less than 20 years, the Electoral College has rewarded the presidential candidate who lost the popular vote!

It will only be when American conservatives experience this "phenomena" that their self-serving "love affair" with the Electoral College will begin to sour!

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

For the 2nd time in less than 20 years, the Electoral College has rewarded the presidential candidate who lost the popular vote!

It will only be when American conservatives experience this "phenomena" that their self-serving "love affair" with the Electoral College will begin to sour!
I do not know what you are talking about. I am conservative. I do not belong to any political party. Who won, who lost, but you said candidate. My understanding is that it can be anyone. I am for the Electoral College because of the Constitution of the United States of America.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
I do not know what you are talking about. I am conservative. I do not belong to any political party. Who won, who lost, but you said candidate. My understanding is that it can be anyone. I am for the Electoral College because of the Constitution of the United States of America.

The Preamble to the United States Constitution is a brief introductory statement of the Constitution's fundamental purposes and guiding principles. It states in general terms, and courts have referred to it as reliable evidence of the Founding Fathers' intentions regarding the Constitution's meaning and what they hoped the Constitution would achieve.

US CONSTITION: PREAMBLE
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
How does the Electoral College, by ignoring the intentions of the majority of over 3 million voters in the 2016 Election, serve the best interests of democracy in America?

The US Constitution is not an end in itself but facilitates the means to an end which is articulated in its Preamble - just how does the Electoral College by over-riding the popular vote promote "a more perfect Union?"

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
PREAMBLE: ... an introductory and expressionary statement in a document that explains the document's purpose and underlying philosophy. When applied to the opening paragraphs of a statute, it may recite historical facts pertinent to the subject of the statute. It is distinct from the long title or enacting formula of a law.

How does the Electoral College, which ignored over the intentions of the majority by 3 million votes in the 2016 Election, serve the best interests of democracy in America?

The Constitution facilitates the means to an end, an end which is articulated in its Preamble - just how does the Electoral College by over-riding the popular vote promote "a more perfect union?"

Popular vote is a new idea. Apparently people like living a lie, or have unknowingly promoted one.