Alpha Omega Home Schooling Curriculum?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I need to know as much as possible about the Alpha Omega Home Schooling Curriculum. Specifically the Lifepac 2nd grade program.

I have a catalog that has quite a bit of good info but the wife and I are currious about a few details. We could, of course call Alpha Omega and ask them these questions but they want to sell me the curriculum and so they are going to cast their product in the most positive light possible. I'm asking you guys because I want the real story.

Here's what I really want to know.

1. How does the grading work? Is it complicated or simple? We like simple!

2. How much information is included in the package about what supplies will be needed and when you'll need them. Some curriculums tell you everything you'll need for the whole year right at the beginning of the year, other tell you what you will need a semester at a time, and yet others tell you what you will need for that days lessons. We don't want to have to read the whole curriculum way in advance to know that on Thursday it’s going to ask us to produce a thermometer or something that we might not have and need to go buy, so the more notice the better.

3. Have they have all the lesson plans completed for you in advance or will there be some amount of planning that needs to be done on our part? In other words, how much of the work has Alpha Omega done for you vs. how much do they leave up to you to figure out on your own? Some curriculums seem designed for more experienced educators who don't mind winging it a little. We DO NOT want to wing it and so the ease of use is a big issue for us.

There may yet be more questions depending on the responses this post gets but that'll do for now.

Thanks!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nineveh

Merely Christian
If Clete doesn't mind, I'd like to toss in a question or two...

It appears Grammer, Reading, and Writing are all covered under "Language Arts". There is no mention of Spelling. How thorough is this part of the curriculum? (I'm used to ABeka's separate courses for each subject listed)

I also noticed there is "Bible". Is AO's Bible study any good? It seems ABeka's is a bit "mainstream". (I'm anxiously awaiting Plot Boys :D )

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I only used A&O Lifepac for the sixth grade. So, I can only give you my opinion on that one, Clete. :) I got them because my daughter asked if we could try a "workbook curriculum" instead of the textbook based curriculum we had used since second grade. I wasn't really crazy about it. It came with ten workbooks for each subject (Bible, History & geography, language arts, math, and science). Alpha & Omega has sample pages for each grade here. Since I have my own grading scale and way of doing it, it may be easier to ask someone who is more experienced with A & O than I am.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nineveh said:
If Clete doesn't mind, I'd like to toss in a question or two...

It appears Grammer, Reading, and Writing are all covered under "Language Arts". There is no mention of Spelling. How thorough is this part of the curriculum? (I'm used to ABeka's separate courses for each subject listed)

I also noticed there is "Bible". Is AO's Bible study any good? It seems ABeka's is a bit "mainstream". (I'm anxiously awaiting Plot Boys :D )

If I remember correctly, they recommend using Wordsmith for spelling/vocabulary. And, I don't remember too much about their Bible curriculum. Except for that one year, I've used Bob Jones curriculum. :)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've never used Alpha Omega but my mom used it with my younger siblings years ago and it seems as though she mentioned that she liked it because everything was so laid out for her. I know it was popular among the homeschool families in the church I grew up in. My my mom ended up switching to mostly BJU but I can't remember if she ever told me why. I'll ask her about it.

It's not really popular among families in our homeschool group although I know there are a few who at least used to use it and may still presently. I'll see what info I can get from them as well.

Have you ever heard of "Switched on Schoolhouse"? There are several families I know who use this and they comment that they like it because it's very easy on the parents. I'm not sure what that means exactly but I just never really checked into it. We've probably used A beka more throughout the years than any other. 2nd would probably be BJU.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Poly said:
I've never used Alpha Omega but my mom used it with my younger siblings years ago and it seems as though she mentioned that she liked it because everything was so laid out for her. I know it was popular among the homeschool families in the church I grew up in. My my mom ended up switching to mostly BJU but I can't remember if she ever told me why. I'll ask her about it.

I know, for me at least, it's that I prefer a more traditional curriculum. It's easier for me to understand and be able to teach :jessilu: from BJU curriculum than from A & O.

It's not really popular among families in our homeschool group although I know there are a few who at least used to use it and may still presently. I'll see what info I can get from them as well.

Have you ever heard of "Switched on Schoolhouse"? There are several families I know who use this and they comment that they like it because it's very easy on the parents. I'm not sure what that means exactly but I just never really checked into it. We've probably used A beka more throughout the years than any other. 2nd would probably be BJU.

I know a lot of people who use Lifepacs and swear by them. Switched on Schoolhouse is by A& O, too. The only difference I know of between it and Lifepacs is that it's done completely on the computer. I can ask a friend, if anyone wants more info on either program. I have a friend who uses SOS for one kid and Lifepacs for another.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If anyone is interested, Alpha & Omega has AOAcademy. I found it here, while browsing their site. They're not too expensive, compared to other homeschooling academies I've seen over the years. The good thing would be that they keep the records and they're accredited. I know that a lot of colleges have told me that it would be better if we went through an accredited program if :jessilu: wants to go to college. I just haven't been able to afford it yet.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
We just ordered the parents starter kit from AO. It looks like its going to give us tons of info on how exactly their whole system works. If it gives us what we're looking for I'll post something here so that you guys can have it as a future reference.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Some things to consider;

You don't want a little kid in front of a computer screen all day - they need variety so make sure to provide that with reading, workbooks, chores, music, books on tape etc.

All the bible curriculums are all heavy calvinistic but with good teaching at home it ends up being a big laugh and the kids know the right wrong answer to put in to get the question "right". Children can still learn a lot about the Bible that is correct from SOS.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
CRASH said:
Some things to consider;

You don't want a little kid in front of a computer screen all day - they need variety so make sure to provide that with reading, workbooks, chores, music, books on tape etc.
Good point! I don't think we plan to do anything on the computer until the girls get into subjects like algebra and biology and stuff like that - you know the "hard stuff". ;)

All the bible curriculums are all heavy calvinistic but with good teaching at home it ends up being a big laugh and the kids know the right wrong answer to put in to get the question "right". Children can still learn a lot about the Bible that is correct from SOS.
:think: Hmm, Calvinistic eh? That's not good. If we decide to go with AO we might use the Bible curriculum from this other curriculum that we're looking at that a lot of people at our church use. It's not open theistic by any means but at least it does teach free will.

Thanks for all your help Crash! The conversation our wives had was a big help and I enjoyed getting to speak breifly with your son as well! I'll bet your so proud of him you could just bust!

God bless!
Clete

ShadowMaid

Well, I used A&O when I was 2nd or 3rd grade. I only had geography (I remember their geography being fun!) and language arts. I didn't like language arts much. I remember I would work on page 2, and then I would work on page 14. I don't know why I jumped around like that, but it wasn't very smooth.