A BIBLICAL ANALOGY.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I wish to draw an analogy between a football game and the Gospel. In this analogy the Coach is God, the quarterback is Christ, the ball is the Gospel and the receiver is the one who receives the Gospel,(ball) and runs with it in order to make a touchdown. We start with the Coach. (God) He decided long ago to send His Son into this world in order to shed His blood for humanities sins. God the Father (Coach) made the plans for this feat of sacrificial giving. It's by His Grace alone that anyone can be saved and inherit eternal life through the action of His Son. (The Quarterback)

Christ (The Quarterback) came down to earth in the form of a man. He was/is part of the Holy Trinity. He died on the cross (paying for the sins of ALL humanity) He then, resurrected and went to sit down at the right hand of the Father. (Coach) Christ's earthly ministry was to the lost sheep of the House of Israel, only. Before He left this world, He passed the Gospel (The Ball) to Peter, the receiver. Peter and the rest of the Apostles carried the ball across the length of the earthly field seeking to make a touchdown. (Spread the Kingdom Gospel to the Jews)

One day the Ascended Lord Jesus Christ met Paul on the road to Damascus. Subsequently, Christ, The Quarterback, once more passed the ball, this time to Paul, the Receiver. Paul was to carry the Grace Gospel (The ball) across the field to the Gentile touchdown. Paul stated the following in Romans 2:16 "In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

You'll notice Paul called it, his Gospel, his ball. Each time a member of the human race becomes saved, at the same time the Gospel, (the ball) becomes "their" Gospel. Therefore, they become the receiver and are obligated to carry the Gospel (The ball) across the earthly field towards the Touchdown.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul's message was built on those who came before him.

Ephesians 2:20 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.​

Paul did not start a new building or a new assembly, he built on what those that came before him built.

nikolai_42

Seems a lacking analogy. Aside from the passing of the ball being the ministry of apostleship in carrying the gospel, it doesn't seem to do much. For one thing, there is no illustration of the sacrifice. And if the gospel is the same gospel and the end zone is the same end zone, why would you hold a distinction between the gospel to the Jews and the gospel to the Gentiles? It may be Paul's ball while he is carrying it, but it's also Peter's ball while he carries it (and again...the identical same ball).

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Seems a lacking analogy. Aside from the passing of the ball being the ministry of apostleship in carrying the gospel, it doesn't seem to do much. For one thing, there is no illustration of the sacrifice. And if the gospel is the same gospel and the end zone is the same end zone, why would you hold a distinction between the gospel to the Jews and the gospel to the Gentiles? It may be Paul's ball while he is carrying it, but it's also Peter's ball while he carries it (and again...the identical same ball).

You're wrong, of course.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Paul's message was built on those who came before him.

Ephesians 2:20 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.​

Paul did not start a new building or a new assembly, he built on what those that came before him built.

You're wrong, of course.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Allow me to present a caveat. Anyone having a different opinion other than, a MADDEST opinion, will receive the same answer I gave the last two posters. I will only discuss this thread with like-minded people such as myself. If you're offended by that, just move along, nothing for you to see here.

nikolai_42

You're wrong, of course.

My main point is simply that the analogy needs more work. Forgetting for the moment the fact that I don't agree with the MAD point of view, where is the sacrifice? Does Jesus only give the gospel to one man at a time? I understand analogies are not meant to be exhaustive, but again it seems that the only analogy it gets across effectively is the apostleship being the entrusting of the Word of God and the gospel to certain "players".

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

Evidently, Jesus had a MADDIST waterboy deflate Peter's ball.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You're wrong, of course.

As an apostle Paul planted the seed, but pastors and teachers watered it and God gave the increase.

1 Corinthians 3:7-8 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.​

Paul and the pastors and teachers all taught from the Hebrew scriptures, anything else would have been false teaching.

The MAD theory is not based on the Hebrew scriptures and is false teaching.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As an apostle Paul planted the seed, but pastors and teachers watered it and God gave the increase.

1 Corinthians 3:7-8 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.​

Paul and the pastors and teachers all taught from the Hebrew scriptures, anything else would have been false teaching.

The MAD theory is not based on the Hebrew scriptures and is false teaching.

Not interested in your opinion. By the way, it's not a theory, it's Biblical FACT.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
My main point is simply that the analogy needs more work. Forgetting for the moment the fact that I don't agree with the MAD point of view, where is the sacrifice? Does Jesus only give the gospel to one man at a time? I understand analogies are not meant to be exhaustive, but again it seems that the only analogy it gets across effectively is the apostleship being the entrusting of the Word of God and the gospel to certain "players".

Post your own analogy thread. I posted what I wanted to say. I didn't ask for your critique.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
People seem to forget or ignore the fact that the Risen Ascended Christ (who Is God), came down to meet Paul on the road to Damascus Acts 9:4, 5, 6
That began a series of revelations to Paul concerning His grace and salvation, the bringing in of the Gentiles (us). These revelations from Christ were FIRST given to Paul and Paul and Barnabas took it to the 12 - Galatians 2:2 KJV -

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That began a series of revelations to Paul concerning His grace and salvation, the bringing in of the Gentiles (us).

Gentiles were included in the covenant God made with Abraham.

The revelations to Paul concerned understanding Hebrew scriptures.