$7.9 Trillion

drbrumley

$7.9 Trillion
Laurence M. Vance

In the eight years the Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, they increased the federal debt by $7.9 trillion. But the Republicans are good and Democrats are bad, right?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
$7.9 Trillion
Laurence M. Vance

In the eight years the Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, they increased the federal debt by $7.9 trillion. But the Republicans are good and Democrats are bad, right?

Other than Bill Clinton, has any recent president actually reduced the debt?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Newt Gingrich, not Bill the Rapist Clinton reduced discretionary spending, which is not the cause of the debt. Mandatory spending is. Social Security and Medicare are % of the budget. Don't let facts get in the way of your communism.

Same old TOL. Bastion of devil worship and feminism.

Kit the Coyote

Other than Bill Clinton, has any recent president actually reduced the debt?

Clinton didn't actually reduce the debt but he was heading in that direction with the Republican Congress' help. Of the rest, Obama was the only other one I think was moving the deficit in the right direction.

I've generally found that both parties only care about the debt/deficit when the other party is in power. The Trump Administration is proving no different in that regard. Clinton may be an example that divided government is best under the two-party system.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Newt Gingrich, not Bill the Rapist Clinton reduced discretionary spending, which is not the cause of the debt. Mandatory spending is. Social Security and Medicare are % of the budget. Don't let facts get in the way of your communism.

Nicky, nice to see you again. good to know you have not changed.
Devil worship AND feminism. Ah, would that were true. Would be much more interesting

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Newt Gingrich, not Bill the Rapist Clinton reduced discretionary spending, which is not the cause of the debt.

Nope. Newt decided he'd shut the government down to make Clinton approve of the republican budget that would have ballooned the debt. Instead, Clinton held out, and forced Newt to accept his budget. And that actually paid down a little of the debt. Would you like me to show you?

You haven't been posting here as much, lately, though.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Clinton didn't actually reduce the debt but he was heading in that direction with the Republican Congress' help.

Well, let's take a look...

CBOUpdate.jpg

Clinton actually did pay down the debt a bit. As you might know, the republicans shut down the government, rather than give him the budget he wanted. Ultimately Gingrich let it be known that he did it mainly out of pique at being given an inferior seat on Air Force One. And according to republican whip Dick Armey:

Yet despite such successes, we didn't learn the right political lessons. A few months before the victory on welfare, we lost the battle over the federal government shutdown of 1995, when we were outmaneuvered by Clinton, a masterful political operator. After that fight, too many Republicans apparently concluded that America wanted bigger government. This misreading was the first step on the road away from the Reagan legacy.

We emerged as a wounded party; we stopped trusting the public; and we internalized the wrong lesson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701482.html

They still don't trust us. Hence Gerrymandering and even outright voter fraud.

tGET ====

Kit the Coyote

Well, let's take a look...

CBOUpdate.jpg

Clinton actually did pay down the debt a bit. As you might know, the republicans shut down the government, rather than give him the budget he wanted. Ultimately Gingrich let it be known that he did it mainly out of pique at being given an inferior seat on Air Force One. And according to republican whip Dick Armey:

Well, I stand corrected then, I thought his surpluses were projected but not yet obtained.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
that sounds awesome!

I like to read that!

got a link to where those republicans admitted that Clinton "played them pretty well"?

'cause when i do a google search, i get bupkis

Yet despite such successes, we didn't learn the right political lessons. A few months before the victory on welfare, we lost the battle over the federal government shutdown of 1995, when we were outmaneuvered by Clinton, a masterful political operator.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701482.html