I'm new here

Zeneta

I'm here to learn.

I hope to gain a deeper understanding of why some people refuse to think for themselves.

In addition, I'd like to explore ideas I have that may move people, and the related concepts which underlie fundamental beliefs.

Apologetics.

Presuppositional, as well as, evidential.

More importantly, not what folks believe, but what is their foundation for that belief, and how to get people to examine that foundation.

Spitfire

I hope to gain a deeper understanding of why some people refuse to think for themselves.
While you may indeed find some good examples of that here, it's never going to be anything like "I don't think for myself and here's why." I think it happens specifically because people don't realize it's a problem, not with themselves, nor with others as long as those others believe the "correct" things - even if they would surely fault others for having the same attitudes towards authority had they reached different (read: "wrong") conclusions on account of them.

So, basically, good luck with that... and, in all honesty, my first reaction is to immediately wonder if anyone who would say such a thing already has some issues of his or her own that way...

Zeneta

So, what I'm specifically interested in, short of crisis, what causes someone to examine their own worldview?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL.
There are several knowledgeable folks here that you can benefit from, which makes TOL one of the best Christian sites around.
And hopefully we can learn from you too.

Zeneta

Hello.

Do you happen to have a particular goal for a field of study? Or is this more a good Samaritan situation?

Hi,

My goal and field of study are the same.

The nature of understanding.

Not so much what people believe, but the foundations for those beliefs and how they change.

Memento Mori

Hi,

My goal and field of study are the same.

The nature of understanding.

Not so much what people believe, but the foundations for those beliefs and how they change.

Hmm...

So epistemology? Well good luck. Let us know if you discover anything.

Zeneta

Hmm...

So epistemology? Well good luck. Let us know if you discover anything.

One thing I have discovered:

You can't TELL anybody WHAT to believe.

They must discover it for themselves.

Most people are not interested in pursuing anything that may conflict with their preconceived notions or worldview. (short of crisis)

There are occasions when someones entire worldview come into question as a result of some seemingly random input of words and or images. Literally out of nowhere, an image or set of words will trigger an insatiable desire to discover why they believe certain things to be true.

Memento Mori

One thing I have discovered:

You can't TELL anybody WHAT to believe.

They must discover it for themselves.

Most people are not interested in pursuing anything that may conflict with their preconceived notions or worldview. (short of crisis)

There are occasions when someones entire worldview come into question as a result of some seemingly random input of words and or images. Literally out of nowhere, an image or set of words will trigger an insatiable desire to discover why they believe certain things to be true.

It also turns out that emphasizing works equally well with italics without seeming to yell. Just a note.

You seem to be prepared to reveal your thoughts. Are you attempting to provoke change?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Let me reflect on this. Your question was why some people refuse to think for themselves? I think it is due to the nature of a culture of "joining" groups. And, of course, each group a person joins has some form of leadership that stands ever ready to tell the group membership what to believe.

Zeneta

It also turns out that emphasizing works equally well with italics without seeming to yell. Just a note.

You seem to be prepared to reveal your thoughts. Are you attempting to provoke change?

I am still developing my thoughts on this subject, that's why I'm here.