Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revpete
    replied
    CHS was undoubtedly a five pointer until The Lord took him home.

Pete 👤

Leave a comment:

• Totton Linnet
    replied
    Spurgeon remained a convinced Calvinist to the end of his life, fully committed to TULIP.

He mellowed somewhat in his later years, he without a doubt was positively affected by the Moody-Sankey mission in the 1870s.

Leave a comment:

• Lon
    replied
    Originally posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    ...Spurgeon lovers know that despite his hot denial Spurgeon did mellow a little in his Calvinism...just a little.

It was from this time onwards that Spurgeon's Calvinism came under close scrutiny.
    Don't try to repaint him. He was Calvinist through and through and to try and take that away, because you appreciate him, is a disservice to the man. Many nonCalvinists who appreciate him, have tried to do this, even some suggesting that he didn't know what Calvinism was. This isn't true at all and it odd for a no-name to try and assert against Spurgeon's own writings on the matter (not you, there are a lot of webpages dedicated to this by people you and I won't ever know). I think that it is admirable to love him so much, that one desperately doesn't want him to be a Calvinist, as if loving a Calvinist or his sermons would be a bad thing. But I think that Spurgeon loved Arminians, should tell you something about the man. He didn't agree with them, he just didn't get his shorts in a bunch to distance himself from them. Simply enjoy him whether you agree with all of his theology or not. He was thoroughly Calvinist. He didn't 'soften.' He simply understood that God saves to the uttermost, and that Arminians were saved by the Gospel of Grace, whether they knew it or not. That is why he was good friends with Arminians. I am good friends with Arminians. Don't say I'm waffling on my theology though. That is doing both me and Spurgeon and injustice, and even yourself in the long run. Spurgeon never 'softened.'

Leave a comment:

• Cross Reference
    replied
    You must know that it wasn't until Moody was baptized by Jesus Christ with the Pentecostal Holy Spirit that his ministry came alive. R.A.Torrey speaks of this as being true.

Leave a comment:

• Nanja
    replied
    Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
    Dont worry, you will get your share of that also as you defend the Truth, you already know ! But its like Jesus said:

Matt 5:11-12

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Yes...all so true!

~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• beloved57
    replied
    Originally posted by Nanja View Post
    I concur. Totally uncalled for.

~~~~~
    Dont worry, you will get your share of that also as you defend the Truth, you already know ! But its like Jesus said:

Matt 5:11-12

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Leave a comment:

• Nanja
    replied
    Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
    Slander !

Posted from the TOL App!

I concur. Totally uncalled for.

~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• beloved57
    replied
    Of COURSE I am infallible...everyone knows that !!!! I am also nearly as humble as john w.

I do not disregard theologians of the past...they are a little thin on the ground at the present time. I am very thankful for their labours.

You either do not know Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic you rely upon others to translate it...so do I, I rely on the translators of the bible...I read the translation very well.

But we have a duty to read and understand for ourselves, this especially so if we want to work in evangelism. Are you then saying only Calvin is the true church like foolish B57?

I agree his theology on Predestination and Election is good grounding, ointment, but Double Predestiny is the fly in the apothecary.

What is so awful is that it so appals christians that they throw out the precious with the vile.
    Slander !

Posted from the TOL App!

Leave a comment:

• Totton Linnet
    replied
    Originally posted by Saved.One.by.Grace View Post
    And you believe you are infallible and people should follow your teaching? You are arguing against something you invented and believe others believe. You need to study with an open mind and let the scriptures, and the Holy Spirit lead you into truth. We can build upon the sound foundation laid by others for our benefit. I do not believe each Christian must start over with no knowledge of the Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic once they are born again. That would be chaos for the Christian Church. You read someone else's work regarding "double predestination". Why should we believe that person and not Spurgeon, Sproul, MacArthur, and others? I'll take their word over yours any day.
    Of COURSE I am infallible...everyone knows that !!!! I am also nearly as humble as john w.

I do not disregard theologians of the past...they are a little thin on the ground at the present time. I am very thankful for their labours.

You either do not know Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic you rely upon others to translate it...so do I, I rely on the translators of the bible...I read the translation very well.

But we have a duty to read and understand for ourselves, this especially so if we want to work in evangelism. Are you then saying only Calvin is the true church like foolish B57?

I agree his theology on Predestination and Election is good grounding, ointment, but Double Predestiny is the fly in the apothecary.

What is so awful is that it so appals christians that they throw out the precious with the vile.

Leave a comment:

• Saved.One.by.Grace
    replied
    The answer is you are more willing to read the work of theologians and rest on their findings than study the scripture for yourself...those theologians may be good and honourable but they are not infallible.

Once again I will ask you to show by scripture that the atonement is limited...if you had done your homework you would be ready with the answer. And the answer is there IS no, just as there is no satisfactory scripture to prove double predestiny which Limited Atonement is brought in to shore up..
    And you believe you are infallible and people should follow your teaching? You are arguing against something you invented and believe others believe. You need to study with an open mind and let the scriptures, and the Holy Spirit lead you into truth. We can build upon the sound foundation laid by others for our benefit. I do not believe each Christian must start over with no knowledge of the Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic once they are born again. That would be chaos for the Christian Church. You read someone else's work regarding "double predestination". Why should we believe that person and not Spurgeon, Sproul, MacArthur, and others? I'll take their word over yours any day.

Leave a comment:

• Totton Linnet
    replied
    The answer is you are too lazy to read the link I posted which has dozens of scriptures proving Limited Atonement.
    The answer is you are more willing to read the work of theologians and rest on their findings than study the scripture for yourself...those theologians may be good and honourable but they are not infallible.

Once again I will ask you to show by scripture that the atonement is limited...if you had done your homework you would be ready with the answer. And the answer is there IS no, just as there is no satisfactory scripture to prove double predestiny which Limited Atonement is brought in to shore up..
    Last edited by Totton Linnet; July 21, 2014, 03:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• beloved57
    replied
    First, who are you to grill me on what I believe? I have thousands of posts which should answer all your questions about what I believe. I refer you to them. Happy searching.
    You scared to answer that question, I understand !

Posted from the TOL App!

Leave a comment:

• The 5 solas
    replied
    There is a fabulous little book that is a quick and easy read. It deals soundly with the doctrine and represents it very well. Perhaps those who are interested, might invest the time in reading this.

The Five Points of Calvinism- Defined, Defended, Documented.
    David N Steele - Curtis C Thomas
    Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing Co.
    Phillipsburg, N.J.

Leave a comment:

• Saved.One.by.Grace
    replied
    The answer is there is no scripture which limits the atonement. God may and does choose who will partake the benefit of it.

God could not say otherwise "whosoever will...."
    The answer is you are too lazy to read the link I posted which has dozens of scriptures proving Limited Atonement.

Leave a comment:

• Totton Linnet
    replied
    Limited Atonement is brought in to shore up double predestiny.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X