Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disconnect between theology and behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tambora View Post
    It cannot possibly be lowbar when it is where Jesus and the apostle Paul said to look.
    I cannot remember. You are not MAD?

On the O. T. Matthew 22:40? Further, I quoted Mattew 5,6 where the Lord Jesus Christ, Himself, says those were low bar. They must necessarily 'have to be.' In Him
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

Originally posted by Lon View Post
      I cannot remember. You are not MAD?

On the O. T. Matthew 22:40? Further, I quoted Mattew 5,6 where the Lord Jesus Christ, Himself, says those were low bar. They must necessarily 'have to be.' In Him
      Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

It's sort of stunning the percentage of the time that the passages Lon cites don't say anything that resembles the doctrine he's trying to sell. Maybe that's why he hardly ever bothers to actually quote them.

Maybe he intended to say that he cited the entire Sermon on the Mount (both chapters 5 and 6 of the book of Matthew). That doesn't help him either. Jesus does raise the bar there except perhaps the bar that the Jews had in the own minds but certainly not the bar that God Himself had set. The bar God had set could not be raised any higher than God had set it. We are told this explicitly by the Apostle Paul in Galatians...

Galatians 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.

When it comes to the law, perfection is God's "bar"....

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

Only Christ has met that bar and we are righteous only to the extent that we are in Him and thus have had His righteous imputed to us by faith apart from the works of the law.

Romans 4:4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.
      5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:

2 Corinthians 5:21
      For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Philippians 3:7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Further, this entire discussion ignores the context of the Sermon on the Mount anyway, which was all about how people are to live during Israel's Kingdom but Lon has no hope of ever seeing that because he refuses to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

Acts 26:25 But he said, “I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak the words of truth and reason.

Clete
      sigpic
      "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Working...
      X