Theology Club: MEANING of HEBREWS 6:1 ??

DAN P

Hi to all , and Hebrews will always be a hard book to understand for the believer , especially for those who believe in One Gospel and those who say it is for the Body of Christ .

Heb 6:1 reads " Therefore LEAVING the discussion of the Elementary principles of Christ , let us go on to perfection , not LAYING again the foundation of REPENTANCE from dead works and of FAITH toward God ".

#1 , Leaving is the Greek word APHIEMI which is an Aorist Participle and can be translated " having left ".

#2 , " Let us go " is in the Present Tense it is Continuing Action of " let us go ".

#3 , Leave the foundation of Repentance !!

So , what does leave behind " faith toward God " mean ??

Remember that the Context is Jewish ??

What say you ??

dan p

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hebrews is targeted to Jewish CHRISTIANS who are saved by the same gospel as Gentile CHRISTIANS. NT letters deal with specific issues/contexts, but this does not mean there are two true NT gospels (a denial of His finished work).

Heb. 6:1 refers to OT Judaistic things that are a foundation for Christianity and have a counterpart. They are not circ gospel things if that is what you are thinking. Repentance/faith are principles in Old and New Testaments. It is wrong to think repentance is not a NT Church principle or non-Pauline.

DAN P

Hebrews is targeted to Jewish CHRISTIANS who are saved by the same gospel as Gentile CHRISTIANS. NT letters deal with specific issues/contexts, but this does not mean there are two true NT gospels (a denial of His finished work).

Heb. 6:1 refers to OT Judaistic things that are a foundation for Christianity and have a counterpart. They are not circ gospel things if that is what you are thinking. Repentance/faith are principles in Old and New Testaments. It is wrong to think repentance is not a NT Church principle or non-Pauline.

Hi , and these answers help the debate as to what the Holy Spirit is referencing in Heb 6:1 !!

First you DID NOT answer the question , " and of Faith Toward God " ??

Why DID Jesus ask this of Israel ??

The words are DIRECTED toward Jewish believers !!

By Heb 6:1 , we see that REPENTANCE is not required today !!

Show a verse where the Body of Christ is BUILT on Jewish things , other than the Blood of Christ , because Pauline truth is foreign to Israel , like our HOPE , Body of Christ , redemption , ETC , ETC .

DAN P

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi to all , and Hebrews will always be a hard book to understand for the believer , especially for those who believe in One Gospel and those who say it is for the Body of Christ .

Heb 6:1 reads " Therefore LEAVING the discussion of the Elementary principles of Christ , let us go on to perfection , not LAYING again the foundation of REPENTANCE from dead works and of FAITH toward God ".

#1 , Leaving is the Greek word APHIEMI which is an Aorist Participle and can be translated " having left ".

#2 , " Let us go " is in the Present Tense it is Continuing Action of " let us go ".

#3 , Leave the foundation of Repentance !!

So , what does leave behind " faith toward God " mean ??

Remember that the Context is Jewish ??

What say you ??

dan p
It doesn't say anything about leaving behind faith toward God, it's about leaving behind the elementary principles, i.e. the "milk." And it is about not laying down the foundation of repentance and faith toward God, again.

You really need to learn to read.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes, it is not a negation of principles, but building on them. The shadows/types of OT have full reality/fulfillment in Christ.

Repentant faith is a biblical principle from Genesis to Revelation, including in Pauline thought.

DAN P

Yes, it is not a negation of principles, but building on them. The shadows/types of OT have full reality/fulfillment in Christ.

Repentant faith is a biblical principle from Genesis to Revelation, including in Pauline thought.

Hi , and you cover a lot of fround , from Adam to Paul without any verses of proof !!

The reason that I see from , FORSAKING the principles of Christ and the Phrase " of Faith toward God " is in John 14:1 !!

" Let not your heart be troubled , you believe in God , BELIEVE ALSO IN ME ".

But we know that did not happen and they Crucified Him !!

dan p

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi , and you cover a lot of fround , from Adam to Paul without any verses of proof !!

The reason that I see from , FORSAKING the principles of Christ and the Phrase " of Faith toward God " is in John 14:1 !!

" Let not your heart be troubled , you believe in God , BELIEVE ALSO IN ME ".

But we know that did not happen and they Crucified Him !!

dan p
Care to respond to my reply?

DAN P

It doesn't say anything about leaving behind faith toward God, it's about leaving behind the elementary principles, i.e. the "milk." And it is about not laying down the foundation of repentance and faith toward God, again.

You really need to learn to read.

Hi , and read Heb 6:1 again as the Hebrews are to , " leave , forsaken or abandon the teaching of the earthly ministry of Jesus as 2 Cor 5:16 reveals !!

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh , YEA , though we have known CHRIST after the flesh , YET now henceforth KNOW we Him no more !!

#1 , The foundation that Christ laided for Israel will never be laid again !!

#2 , Leaving is in the Aorist Participle and can be translated by " having left " and the Aorist tense is the simple Past Tense in time past , but you probably new that !!

#3, They were admonished to not just believe in God , but John 14:1 says , believe in God , But believe ALSO in Me !!

I know how to READ , YO YO , YO !!

DAN P

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Actually, aorist does not have to be simple past tense (this is a rookie misunderstanding). Aspect is more the issue.

Greek is very nuanced, so you cannot just pretend to jump to conclusions based on limited understanding without formal training/valuable tools.

DAN P

Actually, aorist does not have to be simple past tense (this is a rookie misunderstanding). Aspect is more the issue.

Greek is very nuanced, so you cannot just pretend to jump to conclusions based on limited understanding without formal training/valuable tools.

Hi , and I look up Heb 6:1 and it also says it is a Aorist Participle and another source confirm it !!

Are you saying that ONLY those trained in Greek can interpret the bible for us ??

You sound like the RCC !!

Who is Pretending ??

Since you claim to be a Pastor , did you not take Greek , in your training ??

DAN P

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I did take Greek for a B. Th. I learned enough to know that I should defer to experts who master it vs introduced to it.

We do not need experts to understand Scripture, but when you are misunderstanding and misapplying things out of ignorance, then it is arrogant to be dogmatic vs teachable.

Have you ever read a Greek grammar (e.g. Mounce or Wallace) cover to cover?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi , and read Heb 6:1 again as the Hebrews are to , " leave , forsaken or abandon the teaching of the earthly ministry of Jesus as 2 Cor 5:16 reveals !!

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh , YEA , though we have known CHRIST after the flesh , YET now henceforth KNOW we Him no more !!

#1 , The foundation that Christ layed for Israel will never be laid again !!

#2 , Leaving is in the Aorist Participle and can be translated by " having left " and the Aorist tense is the simple Past Tense in time past , but you probably new that !!

#3, They were admonished to not just believe in God , but John 14:1 says , believe in God , But believe ALSO in Me !!

I know how to READ , YO YO , YO !!

DAN P
I read it. Apparently you lack the ability to comprehend what you've read.

It's about leaving behind the "milk" so as to move on to the "meat." If you can't see that you are illiterate.

DAN P

I read it. Apparently you lack the ability to comprehend what you've read.

It's about leaving behind the "milk" so as to move on to the "meat." If you can't see that you are illiterate.

Hi , and like Paul wrote in Gal 2:6 , you have not ADDED NOTHING TO ME !!

A s far as godrulz has written , he has also ADDED nothing to prove his case on the ONE GOSPEL ??

It seems that Lighthose is the one on Milk , and is IT 1% or is your milk 2% as that is ANEMIA to Me , as YOU need a good dose of Dispensationalism !!

Every time you write something Negative about me , it just causes many to wonder and READ all my posts , what a guy , keep up the GOOD WORK , but it seem you can not HELP yourself !!

dan p

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi , and like Paul wrote in Gal 2:6 , you have not ADDED NOTHING TO ME !!

A s far as godrulz has written , he has also ADDED nothing to prove his case on the ONE GOSPEL ??

It seems that Lighthose is the one on Milk , and is IT 1% or is your milk 2% as that is ANEMIA to Me , as YOU need a good dose of Dispensationalism !!

Every time you write something Negative about me , it just causes many to wonder and READ all my posts , what a guy , keep up the GOOD WORK , but it seem you can not HELP yourself !!

dan p
You add nothing to TOL.

Also, since you seem to be senile, I am an Acts 9 dispensationalist. [How many times do I have to repeat myself?]

DAN P

You add nothing to TOL.

Also, since you seem to be senile, I am an Acts 9 dispensationalist. [How many times do I have to repeat myself?]

Hi , and I am Acts 9 , but I can prove it , OR Defend MY position , and you can NOT and I know some other Acts 9 , just like you !!

You mean that I am SENILE but can and will prove why I am Acts 9 ??

You have no CHANCE , SILLY man , Senile or NOT !!

dan p

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi , and I am Acts 9 , but I can prove it , OR Defend MY position , and you can NOT and I know some other Acts 9 , just like you !!

dan p
What are you smoking?

I defend my position every day.

You can't even communicate in proper English.

DAN P

What are you smoking?

I defend my position every day.

You can't even communicate in proper English.

Hi , and you do not defend by saying , I am Acts 9 !!

Now prove it , by saying what Acts 9:6 and 17-18 mean !!

dan p

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame

dan p

Glad Dan is on your side, LH. I would not want him dragging the credibility of my view down;)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi , and you do not defend by saying , I am Acts 9 !!

Now prove it , by saying what Acts 9:6 and 17-18 mean !!

dan p
It means that Jesus Christ called Paul to a new ministry with a gospel different from the one being preached by the 12. That gospel is known as the dispensation of the grace of God. And Paul's physical blindness was symbolic of his spiritual blindness and when the scales fell and his sight was restored it was symbolic of new spiritual sight, which he received through the filling of the Holy Spirit.

What of it?