Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Zakath

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cirisme

And it still comes back to my initial point -- to prove the standard, you have to prove God.

Ummmm, you think that's news to anybody? :rolleyes:

As a side note, I think the whole thing of absoute v. relative morality is pretty much irrelevant. I found the debate interesting, and in my opinion, Knight won. However, it isn't too relevant, so the victory isn't worth much.

Hank

By Eireann

An absolutist will vote for the absolutism candidate whether that candidate is able to demonstrate their case or not, as has been effectively shown with the number of votes Knight got, though he never demonstrated absolute morals.

Not true. I believe in absolute morality but I voted for Zak. The question was a positive “Is there such a thing as absolute morality”. I didn’t see Knight prove there was. I saw him postulate a scenario the would be wrong almost all the time to most people and I then saw Zak counter that with something that would for most people be an explanation of the action. This happens more often that people think. My uncle was a colonel in WWII. He told me German women would lie down in front of American tanks to prevent them from moving. As soon as they saw it didn’t work, they quit. Was this justified for the greater good?

However Knight did a much better job than I thought he would. He refused to get sucked into using the Bible or God as a standard.

C

cirisme

It's the medicine he gave us. He took some to test it out, and come to find out it makes you blab like a whiney baby. :D ;)

admiral_d

Originally posted by Eireann

I believe in God, and I believe that if there is such a standard, it is established by God, but not that it is]/b] God. For one, that would require a belief that God is good and only good, which I don't believe. And it still comes back to my initial point -- to prove the standard, you have to prove God.

Eireann-

What would be the counter arguement to say that Jesus was the standard of absolute morality?

shima

>>However Knight did a much better job than I thought he would. He refused to get sucked into using the Bible or God as a standard.<<

Yes, that at least is a point in Knights favor. Zakath didn't pull out the God arguement untill his last post, and even then Knight refused to take it. Nevertheless, Knight has not demonstrated that such a thing as "absolute wrongness" exists, and as such I count Zakath as the winner of the discussion.

Eireann

Originally posted by admiral_d

Eireann-

What would be the counter arguement to say that Jesus was the standard of absolute morality?
Jesus was quite a fine standard for morality, I admit. But to have him as the standard for "absolute morality" would again require conclusive proof that Jesus was God incarnate. So far, the only thing that has been conclusively shown is that Jesus was a man. There still remains a great deal of unsupported and questionable mythology surrounding his divinity.

Eireann

Originally posted by cirisme

Why?
Because, as you pointed out earlier, God would be the standard for absolute morality. Therefore, for there to be absolute morality, God has to exist. In order to prove absolute morality exists, one must prove that God exists. For if God does not exist, then the standard does not exist, thus absolute morality does not exist. If there is a legitimate question of the existence of God, then there is a legitimate question of the existence of the standard, and thus the existence of absolute morality is legitimately questionable. Since there can be only one standard for absolute morality (as it would be relative if there were more than one standard), then it follows that if Jesus is also a standard for absolute morality, then Jesus must be God. Therefore the need to prove the existence of God in order to prove the standard in order to prove the existence of absolute morality applies to Jesus as well (in his case, the divinity of Christ is the thing that must be demonstrated).

admiral_d

Since there can be only one standard for absolute morality (as it would be relative if there were more than one standard), then it follows that if Jesus is also a standard for absolute morality, then Jesus must be God. Therefore the need to prove the existence of God in order to prove the standard in order to prove the existence of absolute morality applies to Jesus as well (in his case, the divinity of Christ is the thing that must be demonstrated).

So, absolute morality has to be taken by faith, just like believing that Jesus is God.....

So, since Jesus says that He is God, then He would be the standard for absolute morality.....

Which goes to show that the law that Jesus lived by was the standard by which all men should live by....

Wow, this has reporcussions that would undermine Knight and cirisme basic religious faith.......;)

Eireann

So, absolute morality has to be taken by faith, just like believing that Jesus is God.....
Yes

So, since Jesus says that He is God, then He would be the standard for absolute morality.....
If Jesus is God, then yes. If Jesus is God, but is not the standard for absolute morality, then it also follows that God is not the standard. If God isn't the standard, what is?

Which goes to show that the law that Jesus lived by was the standard by which all men should live by...
As above.

Wow, this has reporcussions that would undermine Knight and cirisme basic religious faith.......;)
It has serious repercussions for any Christian who does not live Christlike. If there is absolute morality, then there are a whole bunch of people, not just us heathens, who need to really clean up their acts.

C

cirisme

Eireann,

It has serious repercussions for any Christian who does not live Christlike. If there is absolute morality, then there are a whole bunch of people, not just us heathens, who need to really clean up their acts.

:thumb:!

admiral_d

Assuming that Jesus is the standard for absolute morality, then any prinicple that Jesus followed, exampled, should be the same standard for His followers....:thumb:

Therefore, if Jesus kept the Saturday Sabbath, then Sunday keeping has no place in Christianity......Correct?

That thought is a bit big to comprehend, Eireann.... :confused:

Eireann

Originally posted by cirisme

When it comes to someone's opinion, yes. :rolleyes:

:p
Your response was a poor attempt at condescension. What it did serve to do was show that you have no better argument.

Eireann

Assuming that Jesus is the standard for absolute morality, then any prinicple that Jesus followed, exampled, should be the same standard for His followers....:thumb:

Therefore, if Jesus kept the Saturday Sabbath, then Sunday keeping has no place in Christianity......Correct?
Yup, unless someone can show that Jesus' Saturday and our Sunday are the same day and someone just mixed them up between then and now. That would have the Vatican working overtime, wouldn't it? :D

admiral_d

Yup, unless someone can show that Jesus' Saturday and our Sunday are the same day and someone just mixed them up between then and now. That would have the Vatican working overtime, wouldn't it? :D

:D

I think that Goose, and Polycarp and Knight and Crisime and anyone else proclaiming that there is an absolute morality is gonna have a hard time proving that Sunday is the Sabbath......And still maintain that Jesus is God.....:D

So, for Seventh-day Adventists, there is an Absolute morality....

Status
Not open for further replies.