10 things I'm right about, whether you agree or not.

Clark Frugal

Some of it is semantics. The spiritual, non-physical, the 'mind', etc. still works in conjunction with our bodies. Spiritual issues due to rebellion against God and sin after the Fall does bring depravity and can affect our physical. The real us (spirit, soul) expresses itself through the body. Our brains can be affected due to our fallen state. This can manifest in the realm of the mind as dysfunction (depend on how we define mind; like most words, mind can have a range of meanings...hence the clashes on this topic).
I agree God-Rulz. The only place I see a reasoning-together is the semantics. Unless this really is as fanatical as Mystery is sounding. :(

Mystery

I agree God-Rulz. The only place I see a reasoning-together is the semantics. Unless this really is as fanatical as Mystery is sounding. :(
How I "sound" is subject to your ability to listen, and I guarantee you that the majority of you fall well short.

Clark Frugal

Mystery,
I apologize for falling short on my ability to listen. Sometimes it is the fanatic who thinks it is a lack of communication, that we've failed to understanding. But sometimes it is actually complete understanding with disagreement. Assuming you are correct, how does society get-some-help for the "mentally ill" members?
sincerely,
Carl

Mystery

Mystery,
I apologize for falling short on my ability to listen. Sometimes it is the fanatic who thinks it is a lack of communication, that we've failed to understanding. But sometimes it is actually complete understanding with disagreement. Assuming you are correct, how does society get-some-help for the "mentally ill" members?
sincerely,
Carl

:doh: There are no mentally "ill". There are mentally disturbed, or those who are emotionally unstable, but it is not a disease.

Anyway, Jesus says that knowing the truth sets us free, and therefore it is error that puts us in bondage in our minds. I have a thread called "The Mind Of Christ" for a biblical perspective.

What is tauted as "mental illness" are not diseases or illnessess, but the symptoms are real, and it is just that we need to have a proper approach to those symptoms, and not chemically induced alterations.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Boo pharmaceuticals. Some are good and helpful, but many are peddled for made up diseases.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:thumb: Great post, William!

I agree with what you are trying to get at. It is creepy when drug companies invent new 'diseases' or conditions to make new applications for existing drugs or new drugs. It is a cash cow, to be sure.

I get tired of picking up seniors who are on a bag of meds, many of which are to counter the side-effects from other meds?! I can't believe they are all necessary to keep us happy and healthy in our sun set years.

Mystery

I agree with what you are trying to get at. It is creepy when drug companies invent new 'diseases' or conditions to make new applications for existing drugs or new drugs. It is a cash cow, to be sure.
If you research the beginnings of the industry, you will see little difference between what they are doing and what palm readers do.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If you research the beginnings of the industry, you will see little difference between what they are doing and what palm readers do.

I edited my post. I don't think we want to go off like Scientologists and make up big conspiracy theories. Some drugs are based on plants and are life saving (digitalis for weak heart) or helpful (morphine for pain). If my heart stops, I will take a shot of endogenous (occurs in body) epinephrine/adrenalin over palm reading.

Mystery

I edited my post. I don't think we want to go off like Scientologists and make up big conspiracy theories. Some drugs are based on plants and are life saving (digitalis for weak heart) or helpful (morphine for pain). If my heart stops, I will take a shot of endogenous (occurs in body) epinephrine/adrenalin over palm reading.
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about the medical industry, but the psychiatric industry. I believe in taking drugs for physical infirmities if they help or cure, but I am speaking of creating ideas in the minds of patients that fear, anxiety, hopelessness, are symptoms of a disease that was just named six weeks ago, and the FDA just approved a drug for it yesterday.

When a psychiatrist (or any so-called medical professional) sits down and says "What kind of symptoms do you have?" and you say, well I like to play poker alot, and I like to bet on football games, and I like to go to vegas about 4 times a year, and occasionaly to the horse track". "I see, well we've just discovered that a chemical imbalance in your brain can cause you to want to gamble, and you need to start taking these pills".

No, the problem is greed, it's called sin, and it's not a disease.

Wong Fei Hung

Purple ideas

Purple ideas

I think you can no more reasonably talk of purple ideas and an imagination that smells like Spam than you can talk about a mental disease. The phrase "mental disease" is a blatant contradiction, except metaphorically. Does that mean that things having to do with the mind are any less real than the physical? No. However, they are not the same. The same individuals who confuse the moral and the physical, do so here--and to the detriment of truth. Here's another book to add to the list: "Four Trojan Horses of Humanism" by Harry Conn (if you can find it). The chapter on psychology is a classic.

When do we start with the "sin is a sickness" and "sin is a substance" (both in a literal, not figurative sense)? Hmm... on second thought...

What an imagination! :spam:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I think you can no more reasonably talk of purple ideas and an imagination that smells like Spam than you can talk about a mental disease. The phrase "mental disease" is a blatant contradiction, except metaphorically. Does that mean that things having to do with the mind are any less real than the physical? No. However, they are not the same. The same individuals who confuse the moral and the physical, do so here--and to the detriment of truth. Here's another book to add to the list: "Four Trojan Horses of Humanism" by Harry Conn (if you can find it). The chapter on psychology is a classic.

When do we start with the "sin is a sickness" and "sin is a substance" (both in a literal, not figurative sense)? Hmm... on second thought...

What an imagination! :spam:

I have the book. What do you think of Charles G. Finney? He refuted sin as sickness and substance. What do you think of Augustinian 'original sin'? Winkie Pratney? George Otis, Jr.? Open Theism? Moral Government Theology?

Mystery

Get your facts straight, you turdbreath troll. I am speaking specifically against those who are teaching that sin is a sickness.

Balder

Get your facts straight, you turdbreath troll. I am speaking specifically against those who are teaching that sin is a sickness.

"They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick... I came not to call the righteous, but sinners" (Matt. 9:10-13 ASV).

Mystery

"They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick... I came not to call the righteous, but sinners" (Matt. 9:10-13 ASV).
Nice try, Balder, but Jesus is not saying that sinners have a physical disease.

On Fire

You are mistaken about how "disease" is identified. "Disease" is identified by symptoms and signs, not phyisical deformaty. Symptoms are things the patient complains of and signs are things the practitioner observes, like temperature and pulse rate. The symptoms of diabetes are excessive urination, excessive thirst and excessive eating. As you can see, these are behaviors that the patient performs. A practioner observes the behaviors and makes the diagnosis.

A depressed person has: changed sleep pattern, usually insomnia, decreased appetite frequently with weight loss, feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, lack of energy, enjoyable activities are no longer fun, concentration and decision making are increasingly difficult, suicidal ideation, frequently with attempts to end their own life, agitation, and sometimes physically slowed movements. A person with 5 or more of these symptoms is diagnosable as depressed. A practioner observes the behaviors and makes the diagnosis. Just like a physical illness, because it is a physical illness.

Now you've done it! You've confused Mystery with facts. His "mind" will likely melt.