10 things I'm right about, whether you agree or not.

Minerva

In my opinion, Szasz makes some valid arguments, but he's too one-sided and non-integral.

It's okay, I'm pretty good at collecting all the information and forming my own opinion based on what I believe to be the facts. I'll just integrate him with some other opinions and we'll see what happens. I'm sure once I delve into this abyss I will overwhelm myself with a myriad of resources. That's how I usually am.

Ecumenicist

1. A Christian cannot lose salvation.

No, but they can forget about it, then its not doing them or anyone else any good.

2. The sacrifice of Jesus was not "limited", but for all men, for all time.

Agreed. It was / is "Universal," in fact.

3. God wants all men to be saved, not just a predetermined "elect".

Agreed. So, all are "elect."

4. Paul did not struggle with sin post conversion.

Too many quotes to the contrary. Sorry, not with you on this one.
I know, you take the thorn in the flesh literally. OK, go ahead, I disagree.

5. The creation was a literal 6 days (24 hours).

God's days, not ours.

6. There is no such thing as "mental" illness.

How 'bout "cognitive dysfunction?" I agree that the DSM is a collection of
observed symptoms, not necessarily proof of "disease." But there are also
effective treatments for these symptoms, and again the proof of the effectiveness
is in the observation. Not "disease / cure," but "symptoms / relief."

7. Time is a measurement between two events.

OK

8. Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.

I'm with ya here

9. No man is justified by works

No, but works are the fruit of salvation. Its not an either / or proposition.

In the law, there are works, but they are empty. In Salvation, there are
works, and they are fulfilled.

10. Salvation is an exchanged life, not a changed life.

And yet Jesus retained His scars in the resurrection. These were His witness
to God's saving Grace. What goes for Jesus, goes for us, He was the first.

indeed.

One other point of disagreement, Jesus clearly said that He made no distinction between
saying "you are healed" and "you're sins are forgiven."

If all sin were purely voluntary, purely under our control, then we could literally work our way
out of it, we could voluntarily give it up. But we can't. Striving with sin leads us to Christ;
Christ is the source of all healing.

:)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Your cult has it made in the shade!

Bored? Sin!

Bored with sinning? Stop!

Bored? Sin!

Bored? Sin!

Bored? Sin!

Bored? Sin!

Is this what you call freedom?
You're an idiot.

Sin bores me. Period. So there's really no reason to start. But sometimes, because I'm human, I forget that. Of course, being bored is not the only reason I ever sin. And it's certainly not even a logical reason to. That's why it only happens occasionally. But you don't care about that do you? You just care about trying to earn your own righteousness.

Balder

My motivations to sin? Why else do people sin?

Yes, and your motivations not to sin. The way you're describing your relationship to sinning and not sinning, it all seems to hinge on your entertainment, your pleasing or satisfying yourself at any given time.

Mystery

How 'bout "cognitive dysfunction?" I agree that the DSM is a collection of
observed symptoms, not necessarily proof of "disease." But there are also
effective treatments for these symptoms, and again the proof of the effectiveness
is in the observation. Not "disease / cure," but "symptoms / relief."
In other words, instead of going to Jesus when we are weary and heavy laden, go to the "doctor" and get a presription? Instead of casting all our cares upon Him, we should numb our brains with Zoloft? Instead of prayer when we are anxious or fearful, we should pop some Prozac?

I see what you are saying, Dave.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yes, and your motivations not to sin. The way you're describing your relationship to sinning and not sinning, it all seems to hinge on your entertainment, your pleasing or satisfying yourself at any given time.
I don't stop sinning in order to please myself. I'm just saying there are times when a certain sin [not all sin] seems to be something I would enjoy, in the flesh. But after I start I realize that it is not enjoyable, so I stop. If I could remember that I'm not going to enjoy it, when I start to think I would, then I would never start. And sometimes I do remember that, and I don't start.

I was merely referring to something that happens on occasion, not to what happens every occasion. Please understand that, so you don't keep going around in foolish circles, like AtheistsSuck does.

Balder

I don't stop sinning in order to please myself. I'm just saying there are times when a certain sin [not all sin] seems to be something I would enjoy, in the flesh. But after I start I realize that it is not enjoyable, so I stop. If I could remember that I'm not going to enjoy it, when I start to think I would, then I would never start. And sometimes I do remember that, and I don't start.

I was merely referring to something that happens on occasion, not to what happens every occasion. Please understand that, so you don't keep going around in foolish circles, like AtheistsSuck does.

Is the boredom factor the main thing? Or do you sometimes also think, "That sounds fun but God has told me that's a sin, and I love God, so I will listen to Him in this matter and not follow it, even though it's kinda tempting right now"?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Is the boredom factor the main thing? Or do you sometimes also think, "That sounds fun but God has told me that's a sin, and I love God, so I will listen to Him in this matter and not follow it, even though it's kinda tempting right now"?
No, boredom is not the only factor. It was the cleanest one. I figure it's not good to go very far with descriptions of what I go through when I'm tempted in a place like TOL. There are children around.

As for the second part of your question, no. What I think to myself is, "I'm not interested."

P8ntrDan

Can you please explain in one post your reasoning as to why a Christian cannot exercise the free will God gave him and walk away from Jesus, therefore losing his salvation?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Can you please explain in one post your reasoning as to why a Christian cannot exercise the free will God gave him and walk away from Jesus, therefore losing his salvation?
Because even though God gave us free will, when He placed us in Him, He did not leave it up to us whether or not we could leave Him. He sealed us, and we cannot undo that. Just as we cannot fly. We may have the will, but we don't have the ability.

And beside, who would want to leave Him?

P8ntrDan

Because even though God gave us free will, when He placed us in Him, He did not leave it up to us whether or not we could leave Him. He sealed us, and we cannot undo that. Just as we cannot fly. We may have the will, but we don't have the ability.

And beside, who would want to leave Him?

Well, not me for sure. What about a Christian who suffers a loss and blames God, cursing him for what has happened to them? Could you show me some scripture that shows me that people cannont fall away? Because that means that every martyr that has refused to deny Jesus at gun/knife point died for no reason. I simply do not believe this. Not to mention Hebrews 6:4-6 ->

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

Mystery

Because salvation is complete and total surrender of that aspect of self. It is a literally a death of self, and a whole new life. Salvation is having His life.

Before we were in Christ, we were not free to choose whether or not to be in bondage to sin. We were it'e prisoner. However, by God's grace and the power of the gospel (the message of Christ), God placed before us life and death, and gave us a choice. When we choose to to accept Christ's sacrifice and recieve His life, we die to our old self, and we are no longer living for ourselves. We have been bought by His blood, and we are not our own. We do not have free will to no longer belong to Him. We have free will in many areas, but not regarding who we are, or whose we are. We have died with Christ and our life is hidden with Him, in God. We belong to Him. Jesus said that those who are His will never perish. If even a single one could perish, then Jesus would be a liar, and we both agree that He is not.