ECT Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
The problem is not with the KJV, but with the doctrine of KJV-only.

What if someone were to say this;

The oratorio known as Handel's Messiah is beautiful, stirring and magnificent, but it is not inspired. It was the man, George Frederic Handel only, who was inspired. The oratorio was produced by the process of a genius composer acting upon some inner inspirational motivation (whether spiritual or not is debatable). But that inspiration did not transfer from Handel to the music, because such a thing is designed to happen only within a living human being.

Similarly, the authors of the books of the Bible were, at various times in history, inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the words that God compelled them to write. But that inspiration did not transfer to the words and phrases because inspiration was designed only for those "holy men of God". The result, however, was inerrancy due to the superintendence of the very same Holy Spirit who inspired the men. In fact, whenever the Bible talks about God breathing into something it is always a human.

This view of inspiration, I believe, is reflected in the words of the KJV translators who rendered 2 Tim 3:16KJV as "All scripture is given by inspiration of God...", meaning the process by which God breathed out and into "... holy men of God..." who ..."spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Pe 1:21KJV

This means that no version can be inspired because the originals were not inspired.
It also means that the originals were inerrant and the best version is the one that best reflects the originals.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
What if someone were to say this;

That's all good, my only point is that the false doctrine of KJV-Only, being false itself, quite naturally gives rise to all sorts of other false doctrines, and this is in fact what we see when looking at the various groups of KJVO believers, whose false doctrines conflict with one another.

My personal preference in studying the scriptures has always been parallel, studying the KJV side by side with modern translations such as the NIV, NASB, Young's Literal, etc.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
That's all good, my only point is that the false doctrine of KJV-Only, being false itself, quite naturally gives rise to all sorts of other false doctrines, and this is in fact what we see when looking at the various groups of KJVO believers, whose false doctrines conflict with one another.

My personal preference in studying the scriptures has always been parallel, studying the KJV side by side with modern translations such as the NIV, NASB, Young's Literal, etc.

I guess you didn't get what I was saying. I just made a statement about inspiration that 99% of all modern fundamentalists would disagree with; so it's a very important issue.

The controversy is about inspiration. KJVO people believe only the KJV is inspired. Non-KJVO people are onlyists of a different stripe; they say that only the original autographs were inspired. They are OriginalOnlyists. They believe that, since the originals don't exist, and notwithstanding the many discrepancies, they have the inspired word of God in the conglomerate of many different versions that now exist.

However, if nothing is inspired, then all arguments boil down to textual and historical considerations only. This is not a good thing for those who want to be able to pick the Bible they want. They would then have to do in-depth research instead of trusting their feelings. At this point 21st century Christians' eyes glaze over and they would much rather simply be irrational and leave their options open - as you said; "personal preference". The "we have the Word of God in every version" approach suits a busy lifestyle.

Do we have the right to our personal preference or should we be first seeking God's preference for us? It seems to me that we should be actively pursuing what God wants instead of encouraging each other to do what seems right in our own eyes.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Do we have the right to our personal preference or should we be first seeking God's preference for us? It seems to me that we should be actively pursuing what God wants instead of encouraging each other to do what seems right in our own eyes.

Of course we all have our personal preference. KJV-only is the personal preference of some. It's what seems right in their own eyes. And it has spawned all sorts of false doctrines.

Right Divider

Body part
Of course we all have our personal preference. KJV-only is the personal preference of some. It's what seems right in their own eyes. And it has spawned all sorts of false doctrines.
Just how does "KJV-only" spawn all sorts of false doctrines?

You're making a false connection.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

Illogical conclusions.

By this standard all doctrine is personal preference.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Since all (or maybe almost all) Bibles agree in the elements that the early Christians agreed on, what's wrong with admitting that they are all inspired by God, even if they may have factual errors in things beyond the basic doctrines of Christianity?

Wick Stick

Just how does "KJV-only" spawn all sorts of false doctrines?

You're making a false connection.
That's a good question.

I would opine that it's a matter of (perceived) authority. When one believes that a certain translation is inerrant in every detail, then a whole theological house-of-cards is more likely to be built on a strange reading of a single obscure verse somewhere that's been plucked out of context.

At any rate, there does seem to be a positive correlation between KJV-only-ism and cult-ish behavior.