Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by George Affleck View Post
    Why is it surprising that Satan wants desperately to bring down his worst enemy? The King James Bible.
    Considering that the KJVO movement has it's roots in Seventh-Day Adventism and cannot survive unless it makes ample use of Satan's tactics of lies and slander in order to make its case, I would say no: http://answers.org/bookreviews/newagevers.html

    Comment


    • #17
      When comparing the KJV with the Hebrew and Greek I have found it to be quite reliable. For the reliability of any Bible must be in its interpretation of the Bibles original langauge.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by George Affleck View Post
        Why is it surprising that Satan wants desperately to bring down his worst enemy? The King James Bible.
        Very true, as it points out the true doctrines of God, which the Modern Versions stray from.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Hobie View Post
          Very true, as it points out the true doctrines of God, which the Modern Versions stray from.
          The problem is not with the KJV, but with the doctrine of KJV-only.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by User Name View Post
            I'm not aware of any cult leaders who are "NIV-only."
            Yeah... even the idiots know that the NIV isn't a very good translation of the Bible.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by User Name View Post

              The problem is not with the KJV, but with the doctrine of KJV-only.
              What if someone were to say this;

              The oratorio known as Handel's Messiah is beautiful, stirring and magnificent, but it is not inspired. It was the man, George Frederic Handel only, who was inspired. The oratorio was produced by the process of a genius composer acting upon some inner inspirational motivation (whether spiritual or not is debatable). But that inspiration did not transfer from Handel to the music, because such a thing is designed to happen only within a living human being.

              Similarly, the authors of the books of the Bible were, at various times in history, inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the words that God compelled them to write. But that inspiration did not transfer to the words and phrases because inspiration was designed only for those "holy men of God". The result, however, was inerrancy due to the superintendence of the very same Holy Spirit who inspired the men. In fact, whenever the Bible talks about God breathing into something it is always a human.

              This view of inspiration, I believe, is reflected in the words of the KJV translators who rendered 2 Tim 3:16KJV as "All scripture is given by inspiration of God...", meaning the process by which God breathed out and into "... holy men of God..." who ..."spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Pe 1:21KJV

              This means that no version can be inspired because the originals were not inspired.
              It also means that the originals were inerrant and the best version is the one that best reflects the originals.



              Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

              It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by George Affleck View Post
                What if someone were to say this;
                That's all good, my only point is that the false doctrine of KJV-Only, being false itself, quite naturally gives rise to all sorts of other false doctrines, and this is in fact what we see when looking at the various groups of KJVO believers, whose false doctrines conflict with one another.

                My personal preference in studying the scriptures has always been parallel, studying the KJV side by side with modern translations such as the NIV, NASB, Young's Literal, etc.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by User Name View Post

                  That's all good, my only point is that the false doctrine of KJV-Only, being false itself, quite naturally gives rise to all sorts of other false doctrines, and this is in fact what we see when looking at the various groups of KJVO believers, whose false doctrines conflict with one another.

                  My personal preference in studying the scriptures has always been parallel, studying the KJV side by side with modern translations such as the NIV, NASB, Young's Literal, etc.
                  I guess you didn't get what I was saying. I just made a statement about inspiration that 99% of all modern fundamentalists would disagree with; so it's a very important issue.

                  The controversy is about inspiration. KJVO people believe only the KJV is inspired. Non-KJVO people are onlyists of a different stripe; they say that only the original autographs were inspired. They are OriginalOnlyists. They believe that, since the originals don't exist, and notwithstanding the many discrepancies, they have the inspired word of God in the conglomerate of many different versions that now exist.

                  However, if nothing is inspired, then all arguments boil down to textual and historical considerations only. This is not a good thing for those who want to be able to pick the Bible they want. They would then have to do in-depth research instead of trusting their feelings. At this point 21st century Christians' eyes glaze over and they would much rather simply be irrational and leave their options open - as you said; "personal preference". The "we have the Word of God in every version" approach suits a busy lifestyle.

                  Do we have the right to our personal preference or should we be first seeking God's preference for us? It seems to me that we should be actively pursuing what God wants instead of encouraging each other to do what seems right in our own eyes.
                  Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

                  It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by George Affleck View Post
                    Do we have the right to our personal preference or should we be first seeking God's preference for us? It seems to me that we should be actively pursuing what God wants instead of encouraging each other to do what seems right in our own eyes.
                    Of course we all have our personal preference. KJV-only is the personal preference of some. It's what seems right in their own eyes. And it has spawned all sorts of false doctrines.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by User Name View Post

                      Of course we all have our personal preference. KJV-only is the personal preference of some. It's what seems right in their own eyes. And it has spawned all sorts of false doctrines.
                      Just how does "KJV-only" spawn all sorts of false doctrines?

                      You're making a false connection.
                      All of my ancestors are human.
                      Originally posted by Squeaky
                      That explains why your an idiot.
                      Originally posted by God's Truth
                      Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
                      Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
                      (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

                      1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
                      (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

                      Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by User Name View Post

                        Of course we all have our personal preference. KJV-only is the personal preference of some. It's what seems right in their own eyes. And it has spawned all sorts of false doctrines.
                        Illogical conclusions.

                        By this standard all doctrine is personal preference.

                        Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

                        It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Since all (or maybe almost all) Bibles agree in the elements that the early Christians agreed on, what's wrong with admitting that they are all inspired by God, even if they may have factual errors in things beyond the basic doctrines of Christianity?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
                            Just how does "KJV-only" spawn all sorts of false doctrines?

                            You're making a false connection.
                            That's a good question.

                            I would opine that it's a matter of (perceived) authority. When one believes that a certain translation is inerrant in every detail, then a whole theological house-of-cards is more likely to be built on a strange reading of a single obscure verse somewhere that's been plucked out of context.

                            At any rate, there does seem to be a positive correlation between KJV-only-ism and cult-ish behavior.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X