ECT Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness

ZacharyB

Scripture teaches that one’s righteous standing before God can be lost. Believers must be sanctified unto holiness progressively – for salvation is a process!

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil … Whoever has been born of God does not sin (habitually) … In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God” (1 John 3:7-10)
Notice who “the children of God” are vs. who belongs to Satan.

Believers who are “faithful” will be obedient to Jesus’ commandments and practice righteousness … and will have a standing of righteousness before the Lord.

“… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)
But, do all believers who are born of God practice righteousness?

“… who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him” (Acts 10:35)

“All Scripture … is profitable for … instruction in righteousness (i.e. instruction in the practicing of righteousness)” (2 Timothy 3:16)

“… we, having died to sins, should live for righteousness (i.e. live for the practicing of righteousness)” (1 Peter 2:24)

“But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness and a godly life
… Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living”
(1 Timothy 6:11, 2 Timothy 2:22)

“… you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living … Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:16-19)
“holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:14)

“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously” (Matthew 6:33)
Yes, we need to seek to live like Jesus lived, which is righteously!

“But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith
the righteousness God has promised to us.” (Galatians 5:5)

Living by the Spirit (practicing righteousness) results in continuing to be righteous!

“I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives
until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation –
the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:10-11)

The fruit of being saved is a lifestyle of righteousness!

“Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin … Those who have been born into
God’s family do not make a practice of sinning … We know that God’s children
do not make a practice of sinning” (1 John 3:6, 3:9, 5:18)

“For it would have been better if they had never known the way to righteousness than
to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life.” (2 Peter 2:21)

“The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness
of men who suppress the truth (by living) in unrighteousness.” (Romans 1:18)

Of course, this is all a continuation of what God demanded in the old covenant:
“Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright
(i.e. by practicing righteousness) I will show the salvation of God.” (Psalm 50:23)

This multitude of Scripture verses should convince us that
“works righteousness” is also required for salvation.

ZacharyB

Truly, one who practices righteousness is PROVING his/her righteousness,
i.e. that he/she is righteous in the eyes of the Lord.
IMO, practicing righteousness ENSURES that one is indeed righteous!
Of course, this may be perceived as "works".
But, it is NOT works of the flesh … It is works of obedience!
Perhaps, it is works of the Spirit because it is the Spirit who leads us to do them.

Right Divider

Body part
Truly, one who practices righteousness is PROVING his/her righteousness,
i.e. that he/she is righteous in the eyes of the Lord.
IMO, practicing righteousness ENSURES that one is indeed righteous!
Of course, this may be perceived as "works".
But, it is NOT works of the flesh … It is works of obedience!
Perhaps, it is works of the Spirit because it is the Spirit who leads us to do them.
Rom 5:15-21 KJV But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. (16) And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. (17) For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) (18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. (20) Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

There is only ONE righteous and that is not you.

ZacharyB

... so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.[/B]
There is only ONE righteous and that is not you.
Okay, the problem is: MANY NT verses teach us that
what we initially receive is NOT guaranteed to be permanent.
You will see in this and future threads:

Many NT verses prove each of these spiritual truths:
Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness
Believers stay righteous through their obedience
Believers faith must endure until the end of their lives
Believers keep salvation by repenting of their sins
Believers were chosen and called to live holy lives
Believers must love, forgive, not judge or condemn
Believers must be victorious overcomers

One full page of Scripture verses
will be presented for almost every one of these topics.

The question is: What will you do with them?

Right Divider

Body part
Okay, the problem is: MANY NT verses teach us that
what we initially receive is NOT guaranteed to be permanent.
You will see in this and future threads:

Many NT verses prove each of these spiritual truths:
Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness
Believers stay righteous through their obedience
Believers faith must endure until the end of their lives
Believers keep salvation by repenting of their sins
Believers were chosen and called to live holy lives
Believers must love, forgive, not judge or condemn
Believers must be victorious overcomers

One full page of Scripture verses
will be presented for almost every one of these topics.

The question is: What will you do with them?
Simple.... rightly divide

ZacharyB

IMO, “the crown of righteousness” is eternal life, and so is “the crown of life” (easily proven).

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
And now the prize awaits me – the crown of righteousness, which the Lord,
the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just
for me, but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

Those who eagerly wait for Jesus’ return have nothing to be ashamed of
… because they have remained faithful and have been living righteously!

Please note that Ephesians and Colossians were written only to “the faithful”.
So really, all of the glowing descriptions, etc. of believers in those 2 epistles
are only for "the faithful" followers of Jesus, i.e. those who love Him
and who obey (keep) His commandments.

beloved57

Scripture teaches that one’s righteous standing before God can be lost. Believers must be sanctified unto holiness progressively – for salvation is a process!

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil … Whoever has been born of God does not sin (habitually) … In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God” (1 John 3:7-10)

Believers who are “faithful” will be obedient to Jesus’ commandments and practice righteousness … and will have a standing of righteousness before the Lord.

“… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)

“All Scripture … is profitable for … instruction in righteousness (i.e. instruction in the practicing of righteousness)” (2 Timothy 3:16)

“… we, having died to sins, should live for righteousness (i.e. live for the practicing of righteousness)” (1 Peter 2:24)

“But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness and a godly life
… Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living”

“… you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living … Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:16-19)

Living by the Spirit (practicing righteousness) results in continuing to be righteous!

“I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives
until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation –
the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:10-11)

“Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin … Those who have been born into
God’s family do not make a practice of sinning … We know that God’s children

“For it would have been better if they had never known the way to righteousness than
to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life.” (2 Peter 2:21)

“The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness

(i.e. by practicing righteousness) I will show the salvation of God.” (Psalm 50:23)

In my Faith the Ones my Christ died for are reconciled to God while being enemies and Justified, declared righteous while ungodly ! Rom 5:10 and Rom 4:5

Right Divider

Body part
IMO, “the crown of righteousness” is eternal life, and so is “the crown of life” (easily proven).

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just
for me, but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

So really, all of the glowing descriptions, etc. of believers in those 2 epistles
So you keep the law of Moses as Jesus commanded?

Mat 23:1-3 KJV Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, (2) Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: (3) All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

ZacharyB

In my Faith the Ones my Christ died for are reconciled to God while being enemies and Justified, declared righteous while ungodly ! Rom 5:10 and Rom 4:5
Yes, this is the situation when the BAC initially receives the precious Holy Spirit.
But, this is not guaranteed to last forever!
E.G. the NT says the Holy Spirit may leave ...
and the NT has 20 or so obvious verses saying that salvation can be lost.
And many dozens of conforming NT verses, which are not as obvious.

God tends to "somewhat hide" the strong unpopular verses,
which may be too upsetting for the babes in Christ.
And there are many of those in the churches, on Christina forums, etc.

IMO, God has reveals some/many of these only to mature BACs.
And they should be carefully passed on by the shepherds to the sheep.

beloved57

Yes, this is the situation when the BAC initially receives the precious Holy Spirit.

I Know and serve a different God than you !

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
Please define "BAC".

Your problem is that you continue to MASH things together without regard to what God is doing at different times with different people.

Paul says that believers are SEALED with the Holy Spirit. That is permanent.

Eph 1:13-14 KJV In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, (14) Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 KJV And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

ZacharyB

Please define "BAC".
Paul says that believers are SEALED with the Holy Spirit. That is permanent.
BAC = Born-again Christian.
Let's see if you will bother!

Care to comment on my signature? ... which says ...
The BAC who chooses to be a slave of sin will get eternal death.
The BAC who wishes to end up righteous will choose to be a slave of obedience.

john w

Hall of Fame

God’s family do not make a practice of sinning …
We know that God’s children

What a mess, demonstrating what happens when you refuse to obey 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV-mangled "interpretation," assuming all of scripture is about you, in particular, written to you, for your obedience, "promise."

Members of the boc are never referred to as "born again"-get that straight. That term is employed in the book, reserved exclusively, for the believing remnant of the nation of Israel, who will be "born again," in the mil. kingdom, being both spiritually regenerated, and physically regenerated, in resurrected bodies, as part of the blessing promised to them, via the New Covenant, when/where they will be "sinless," i.e., having the ability not to sin-it has NADA to do with respective members of the boc, today, in this dispensation. Its fulfillment awaits for the future, and applies only to the believing remnant of Israel.

1 John 3:9 KJV
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him : and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

To whom is John speaking? The audience?

"his seed remaineth in him"

Is this "seed" is the word of God? 1 Peter 1:23 KJV?
"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever."

But 1 John 3:9 says "his seed,"i.e., referring to that person's own seed.

Gen 17 KJV

19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

This is the first mention in the book of the words "his seed," and 1 John 3:9 KJV, is the last mention. Details matter.

Some of the other verses with the words "his seed" are Jeremiah 3:9 KJV, Luke 1:55 KJV, Acts 7:6 KJV, Romans 4:13 KJV.

The normal usage of "his seed" in both the OT and NT, refer to a man's seed, as in, his sperm, or his offspring.

Arguing that "his seed" in 1 John 3:9 KJV refers to the word of God seems a "stretch"-it does not seem consistent with it's normal usage in the book.

1 John 3:9 KJV
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Any other men in the book,whose seed will remain in them?

Rev 14:3-5 KJV
And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

The 144,000 during the "Great Trib"will have their seed remaining in them, for they are virgins.

They are "without fault before the throne of God."
This would explain 1 John 3:9 KJV.

John's epistles-aimed at Jews, who would have entered the Great Trib period, during John's time, if the nation Israel had accepted the Lord Jesus as the Messiah, the Christ.

Survey John 1:47 KJV Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

Thus, the Lord Jesus Christ, as a prophet, the prophet, was looking to the future, in the mil k, where the believing remnant will not sin, have "no guile," in "born again" physical bodies/spirits.

The 2,000 year interim period that we are in now was not seen by John.
He very well could have been preparing the Jews for the tribulation, thinking it would happen very soon.

The blenders, like Zach: All of scripture is about me, directed to me, is for my obedience, and all of the promises are for me, and it all says the sane thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Translation: Deception, as he can "prove" anything he desires.

Last edited:

God's Truth

It is so good to read you preaching obedience to Christ.

From the scriptures, I see that the gift, the reward, the inheritance, the treasure, the crown, the promise…it is all eternal life in the kingdom of God.

It is given to those who obey.

ZacharyB

From the scriptures, I see that the gift, the reward, the inheritance, the treasure,
the crown, the promise…it is all eternal life in the kingdom of God.
Then, off topic ...
From the Scriptures, I see that the gift
(as related to the Holy Spirit) actually is
the baptism with the Holy Spirit
(and not the initial infilling)!
Yes, and it is also the Promise.
Proven from the NT Scriptures.

And I'm pleased that you see (correctly) that the crown means eternal life
in these phrases: "the crown of life", "the crown of righteousness", etc.

There are many levels of spiritual understanding not revealed to babes.
Keep up the good work, brother.

God's Truth

Then, off topic ...
From the Scriptures, I see that the gift
(as related to the Holy Spirit) actually is
the baptism with the Holy Spirit
(and not the initial infilling)!
Yes, and it is also the Promise.
Proven from the NT Scriptures.

And I'm pleased that you see (correctly) that the crown means eternal life
in these phrases: "the crown of life", "the crown of righteousness", etc.

There are many levels of spiritual understanding not revealed to babes.
Keep up the good work, brother.

Amen.

Same to you.