ECT Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoh

Regarding the book: Mishandling the Word of Truth: A Critique of Hyper-Dispensationalism by Dr. Jamin Hübner

Product description

The "Grace Movement" or "Hyper-Dispensationalism" has gained considerable traction in certain spheres of American evangelicalism. As a system of theology, Hyper-Dispensationalism construes the traditional gospel of Christianity in a way has caused considerable problems to practicing Christians and the church at large. Despite growing concern, no book has ever fully attempted to dissect such a complex theology...until now.

In the first book of its kind, Mishandling the Word of Truth examines Hyper-Dispensationalism in a way that the average person can understand and, yet, remains the culmination of years of academic research. Dr. Jamin Hübner, a trained theologian and biblical scholar, goes to great lengths to summarize the controversial theology before going on to critically evaluate it. In the end, readers will learn to be cautious about various "dispensational" and "grace" movements, clarify their understanding about Israel and the church, and gain a deeper appreciation for God's covenantal love in redemptive history.

Review (In favor of the book)

"...this book does not merely address a 'mishandling' of the Word of Truth; it also serves as a sound defense for the need to embrace the unity of the Scriptures as a whole. The book explains the unfolding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as one gospel for all ages. Jamin is particularly gifted in his ability to present difficult matters and distinctions in an understandable and very readable form. Mishandling the Word of Truth is a beneficial read." - Arthur Sartorious, JD, MDiv, Pastor, Black Hills Community Church

"In this very helpful, fair, and irenic work, Jamin Hübner does the evangelical church a service by providing a devastating biblical and theological critique of the movement he labels Hyper-Dispensationalism. For those not familiar with this theology...Hübner not only lays out the historical background of the view, he patiently evaluates its biblical argument with accuracy and precision...I highly commend this work." - Stephen Wellum, PhD, Professor of Christian Theology, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, co-author of Kingdom Through Covenant

From the Author

This book should be particularly useful for those caught up in the 'grace movement,' as well as Christian zionism.

About the Author

Dr. Jamin Hübner is an American theologian, musician, and entrepreneur from South Dakota. He is a graduate of Dordt College (BA Theology), Reformed Theological Seminary (MA Religion) and the University of South Africa (ThD Systematic Theology), and a student at Southern New Hampshire University (MS Economics) and currently serves as the Director of Institutional Effectiveness and founding Chair of Christian Studies at John Witherspoon College.

Review by Ross Purdy (Against the book - thus, the "Ouch!" in the title of this thread)

I hope the 2nd edition was finally proofread because the first edition is an embarrassment to real scholars and theologians. Just as Jamin pulled his first book off the market, he should have done the same with this one. Jamin should not publish his blog grog, especially unedited, and expect folks to pay real money for it.

His book is a boat load of factual errors, typo's and grammatical incoherencies in just the first few pages...and really not a competent exegetical engagement with the Biblicist position of the so-called hyperdispensationalist.

The reason it is so difficult and mentally challenging, as Jamin relates it, to understand the dispensational position is because he is bringing a confession of faith to try and brow beat Bible readers and Bible studiers who are independent and stimulated by the Word of God rather than conceited Calvinists.

Now Pablo's introduction shows that he may be competent to write the book but he endorses Jamin's train wreck! I tell you he has provided the hypers with a howler of a joke book.

Honestly, how did stating that Stam is an Acts 28er get past?

And how is it that Bullinger has anything to do with the Mid-Acts position?

O'Hair rejected his teachings and Stam read Bullinger but has NO part of his Acts 28 position.

Pablo says the footnotes are worth the price of the book but if he had actually read them he would of said something to Jamin to spare him the embarrassment. This is especially astonishing since Pablo claims to have actually been an apologist for the hypers.

The way Jamin has it, the BBS is the governing entity for the Grace Movement since they are in Wisconsin and Jamin has designated Germantown as some kind of capitol/headquarters for the movement.

Also he has the GGF as the up and coming new growth in the movement so never mind the historical facts. Oh!

And of course, somebody needs to write a bunch of letters and inform the GGF, BBF, BBS, BBI, Grace Bible College, St. Louis Bible Institute and Canyon View College that they are all KJV only so they all can have a good long laugh!

Grace School of the Bible promotes KJV only but they are a small drop in the Grace Movement.

Someone needs to inform Kevin Sadler that his father did not succeed Stam nor did Kevin follow in his father's footsteps as lead at the BBS...because according to Jamin, Joel Finck succeeded Stam!

Joel is doing good if he gets to speak at a BBF conference.

Now I have used a bunch of abbreviations for various significant organizations in the Grace Movement...and if you read Jamin's book, you will find out what they stand for and how they are related...NOT!

And how about Douglas Stauffer, Pablo or Jamin should tell him he does not believe in water baptism since he is supposed to be a no water dry cleaner via the Spirit hyperdispensationalist.

Never mind that Stauffer got baptized once by sprinkling and a second time by dunking and has no where stated any regrets nor has he apologized for teaching the Church starts in Acts 2 like every other Baptist dispensationalist.

I don't think any one has ever been so preposterous as to have criticized Stam as being some kinda of Prophet/Apostle providing his hick dupes with extra-biblical revelations from God and promoting his books as a new cannon for the church.

But Jamin says that is what Stam was and did, of course, with the meaningless "it just depends on how you define things" Jamin-qualification...a qualification that Jamin uses as a license to say they are sorta, kinda, near unto, pritinear a cult as can be without being one officially in so many words.

As Jamin says, it just depends on how you define things. If he can define things blogosphere style, he can smear anyone as a near cultist and sling mud at them without restraint, who needs facts and a sense of Christian fairness and evenhandedness.

I expected a scholarly critique of the hyperdispensational position, not a comedy routine.

The world still waits for a SCHOLARLY critique of hyperdispensationalism because this book is just blog grog gone gooey.

Jamin should go back to blogging but he should not post it on the internet because some dumb unsophisticated nincompoop (as Jamin implies all hyperdispensationalists are for having been duped by Stam's supposed cult indoctrination scam) might read it and get brainwashed by it into nonsense.

https://www.amazon.com/Mishandling-Word-Truth-Critique-Hyper-Dispensationalism/dp/0990594319

DAN P

Danoh

Hi and IF as I read , he believes in one gospel , how will he handle Rom 5:13-14 or any on this forum ??

We use to have 4 Acts 28er in our assembly , but have since left as we have enough distractions with the rest of so-called dispensationalist !!

dan p

Personally, I don't mind going back and forth with 28ers who actually do know their particular doctrine well - one can learn much from their take on those aspects of what they hold to that is sound.

Just as one can learn much from a Messianic who nevertheless really knows his OT.

Likewise as to all individuals in life in general, in one area or another.

Nevertheless, Rom. 14:5; Rom. 5:6-8.

DAN P

Personally, I don't mind going back and forth with 28ers who actually do know their particular doctrine well - one can learn much from their take on those aspects of what they hold to that is sound.

Just as one can learn much from a Messianic who nevertheless really knows his OT.

Likewise as to all individuals in life in general, in one area or another.

Nevertheless, Rom. 14:5; Rom. 5:6-8.

Hi and we did have one Acts 28er , but left , and I wonder why !!

I do know where he has gone and have seen you there also !!

I am on 2 many other forums !!

dan p

Danoh

Hi and we did have one Acts 28er , but left , and I wonder why !!

I do know where he has gone and have seen you there also !!

I am on 2 many other forums !!

dan p

I liked the poster ac28.

Though a bit caustic, he was nevertheless VERY well informed in his understajding not only of the Acts 28 Position, but of many things in Paul's post-prison position Epistles even many Acts 9s (aka Mid Acts) are not clear on.

Because the actual 28ers invest much more time in those Epistles than most MADs do.

We tend to invest our time in all 66 Books (at least MADs I have known do).

Which is why the Acts 9 Position is clearer than their Acts 28 - we have much more to draw on.

It takes a really solid understanding of both the OT and the NT to arrive at an equally solid, settled Acts 9 Poisition. It really does.

At the same time, some of the 28ers will tend to have a sharper understanding of Paul's post-prison (greater) "heavenly position" emphasis.

But like I said, it always pays to just actually hear all sides out - always.

Too many "rabid baptist" "our way or the highway" within far too many within Christianity in general - including within Acts 2; and Acts 9 aka Mid-Acts; and also within the Acts 28 position.

Rom. 14:5; Rom. 5:6-8.

DAN P

I liked the poster ac28.

Though a bit caustic, he was nevertheless VERY well informed in his understajding not only of the Acts 28 Position, but of many things in Paul's post-prison position Epistles even many Acts 9s (aka Mid Acts) are not clear on.

Because the actual 28ers invest much more time in those Epistles than most MADs do.

We tend to invest our time in all 66 Books (at least MADs I have known do).

Which is why the Acts 9 Position is clearer than their Acts 28 - we have much more to draw on.

It takes a really solid understanding of both the OT and the NT to arrive at an equally solid, settled Acts 9 Poisition. It really does.

At the same time, some of the 28ers will tend to have a sharper understanding of Paul's post-prison (greater) "heavenly position" emphasis.

But like I said, it always pays to just actually hear all sides out - always.

Too many "rabid baptist" "our way or the highway" within far too many within Christianity in general - including within Acts 2; and Acts 9 aka Mid-Acts; and also within the Acts 28 position.

Hi and I wrote to some Acts 28er , who called themselves RIGHT DIVISION but Robert C Brock was already using the title , BUT did not challenge over that title , so why not tell that Acts 28er to come back and lets find out what they real know OR you can tell us whay they BEGIN the B O C at Acts 28:28 ??

dan p

Danoh

Hi and I wrote to some Acts 28er , who called themselves RIGHT DIVISION but Robert C Brock was already using the title , BUT did not challenge over that title , so why not tell that Acts 28er to come back and lets find out what they real know OR you can tell us whay they BEGIN the B O C at Acts 28:28 ??

dan p

:chuckle:

Ask people like STP and some of his pals on here (the acts 9/acts 28 hybrids) - they also hold a view about some sort of a dispensational change in Acts 28 that is very similar to the view held by the 28ers.

Rom. 14:5; 5:6-8.

DAN P

:chuckle:

Ask people like STP and some of his pals on here (the acts 9/acts 28 hybrids) - they also hold a view about some sort of a dispensational change in Acts 28 that is very similar to the view held by the 28ers.

Hi and I do see some changes that happen , like Gal 3:28 COMPARED to Col 3:11 , for one !!

Another is that the MYSTERY is going with full FORCE in Ephesians !!

dan p

Last edited:

DAN P

Acts 28- Two bodies of Christ
Us- One body of Christ

Hi and only danoh KNOWS what you believe , I see !!

They also believe in SOUL SLEEP !

Believe that Paul was saved , under Kingdom preaching !!

Refuse to take the Lord's supper AS out lined in 1 Cor 11:23 !!

Believe in 2 bodies !!

Can not explain how Paul was saved !!

Only EXCEPT Paul's prison epistles !!

Just to mention some of their beliefs !!

HYBRIDS !!

dan p

Last edited:

Danoh

Hi and only danoh KNOWS what you believe , I see !!

They also believe in SOUL SLEEP !

Believe that Paul was saved , under Kingdom preaching !!

Refuse to take the Lord's supper AS out lined in 1 Cor 11:23 !!

Believe in 2 bodies !!

Can not explain how Paul was saved !!

Only EXCEPT Paul's prison epistles !!

Just to mention some of their beliefs !!

HYBRIDS !!

dan p

No one said anything about soul sleep.

What are you, brown nosing all of a sudden? :chuckle:

And your above assertion is not what a hybrid is.

A hybrid is a mix of two different things that DIFFER somehow, the result being "a hybrid" of both.

The 28ers assert that this...

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

And this...

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Are NOT the same thing.

So does STP and various of his group on here.

Why?

Because theirs is a hybrid or mix, of where the Acts 9 Position studies things out from, with where the Acts 28 Position studies them from.

The 28ers assert that this was hidden in the OT....

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

And this also...

1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

But that this was what was hid in God...

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

So does STP and some of his pals.

STP and compay also hold the Lord's Supper is NOT for the Body.

And that is just a few examples of views they hold similar to the 28ers.

Well, besides the obvious fact that they are just as intolerant and thin-skinned where pointing a thing out to them is concerned :D

Danoh

Acts 28- Two bodies of Christ
Us- One body of Christ

Nice subterfuge on your part: calling attention to where you differ with them - you well know you hold SOME views they ALSO hold.

Good one bro - in fact, classic. :chuckle:

DAN P

No one said anything about soul sleep.

What are you, brown nosing all of a sudden? :chuckle:

And your above assertion is not what a hybrid is.

A hybrid is a mix of two different things that DIFFER somehow, the result being "a hybrid" of both.

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

And this...

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Are NOT the same thing.

So does STP and various of his group on here.

Why?

Because theirs is a hybrid or mix, of where the Acts 9 Position studies things out from, with where the Acts 28 Position studies them from.

The 28ers assert that this was hidden in the OT....

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

And this also...

1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

But that this was what was hid in God...

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

So does STP and some of his pals.

STP and compay also hold the Lord's Supper is NOT for the Body.

And that is just a few examples of views they hold similar to the 28ers.

Well, besides the obvious fact that they are just as intolerant and thin-skinned where pointing a thing out to them is concerned :D

Hi and explain your second , sentence , GRASSHOPPER !

We had a Grace pastor go soul sleep on our assembly a few years ago and we FIRED him !!

dan p

SaulToPaul 2

And this...

Are NOT the same thing.

It isn't. :idunno:

Danoh

Hi and explain your second , sentence , GRASSHOPPER !

We had a Grace pastor go soul sleep on our assembly a few years ago and we FIRED him !!

dan p

No one asserted STP and company hold to soul sleep.

But you brought it up - as if I were asserting they are 28ers and therefore hold to soul sleep.

And no one asserted STP and company hold there are two bodies - as if they are 28ers.

But it too was brought up in response to my post.

Which means one thing - you and he are both incapable of separating some things that differ, from one another.

I have never asserted from the obvious fact that STP and company have obviously mixed where Acts 9ers study a thing out from, with where Acts 28ers do, into a hybrid of both - I have never said that makes them 28ers.

What I have done in the past is joke that that makes them ALMOST 28ers :chuckle:

What is STP now doing once more in his replies? Proving my very point, once more. :D

That he obviously approaches the study of some things from a mix of where Acts 9ers study a thing out from, with Acts 28ers do, into a hybrid of both.

Do I hate him/them for it? Nope.

Do I have a problem with him/ for it? Nope.

Do they have an obviously thin-skinned, grace is apparently not sufficient, problem with me. Yep - which I find amusing :chuckle:

I mean, what sort of MADs are they that the grace they go around spouting on about and spitting on others over, has obviously not been able to overcome help them over come even their own thin-skin to any sort of a critique other than that which their number sanction?

I find the whole pack an amusing bunch.

Because Rom. 14:5; and Rom. 5:6-8. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.