Covetousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil.Eye.<(I)> View Post
    Archive this post and file it under "The textbook words of a Child of Pride"... "Douche Bag" works too!

# Wicked Tongue
    "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden(secret) manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it".

You wouldn't know nor understand this so you revert to the abuse of the dead in sin.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Truster View Post
      What you think is irrelevant. Words have meaning and using words without understanding the meaning just shows how truly ignorant you are.
      The words I used are fine, go curse all the other orphans you like to cavort with.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick jane View Post
        The words I used are fine, go curse all the other orphans you like to cavort with.
        Nothing wrong with the words, it's the context, along with your lack of understanding that is evident.
        I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
        A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
        If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Truster View Post
          Nothing wrong with the words, it's the context, along with your lack of understanding that is evident.
          So you don't think coveting is selfish?

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
            Covetousness is putting something ahead of God.

Some people covet money, some covet power.

Different people covet different things.
            Covetousness tells God He isn't enough. And I was listening to a sermon yesterday in which the pastor said that we covet because we don't want enough. We are limited by our own understanding and use that to guide our desires instead of what God has for us. So, in essence, we are denying Him (ouch!).
            If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
            Jeremiah 17:9

Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
            Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

Isaiah 50:10-11

Comment

Originally posted by nikolai_42 View Post
              Should we think there are some sins - or degree of sins - that are not as sinful as others?
              Yes. Catholicism teaches that there are grave sins, and lighter sins. For the Christian who believes HE IS RISEN (Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV ; Ro10:9KJV), lighter sins are venial/forgiven without further explanation, and the Church teaches that there are numerous circumstances that attenuate, diminish, or nullify all together, the guilt that would otherwise be imputed to the one who commits grave matter.

For example, lying. The gravity of lying as a sin depends upon the harm the lying causes. Lies that do not harm anybody are light sins, and lies that cause great harm are grave matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilo View Post
                Yes. Catholicism teaches that there are grave sins, and lighter sins. For the Christian who believes HE IS RISEN (Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV ; Ro10:9KJV), lighter sins are venial/forgiven without further explanation, and the Church teaches that there are numerous circumstances that attenuate, diminish, or nullify all together, the guilt that would otherwise be imputed to the one who commits grave matter.

For example, lying. The gravity of lying as a sin depends upon the harm the lying causes. Lies that do not harm anybody are light sins, and lies that cause great harm are grave matter.
                Does the RCC consider covetousness a grave sin?
                If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
                Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

Comment

Does the RCC consider covetousness a grave sin?
                  Equating coveting with envy, here's what the Church teaches:
                  2539 Envy is a capital sin. It refers to the sadness at the sight of another's goods and the immoderate desire to acquire them for oneself, even unjustly. When it wishes grave harm to a neighbor it is a mortal sin....

2553 Envy is sadness at the sight of another's goods and the immoderate desire to have them for oneself. It is a capital sin.
                  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a0.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilo View Post
                    Equating coveting with envy, here's what the Church teaches:
                    http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a0.htm
                    So moderate desire is okay? What is meant by immoderate?

Comment

So moderate desire is okay? What is meant by immoderate?
                      There's a lot on that page to help clarify; here are two that answer your question I think:
                      2535 The sensitive appetite leads us to desire pleasant things we do not have, e.g., the desire to eat when we are hungry or to warm ourselves when we are cold. These desires are good in themselves....

2537 It is not a violation of this commandment to desire to obtain things that belong to one's neighbor, provided this is done by just means.

Comment

2nd Timothy 2:25 (KJV) is enough bare evidence that our Lord is supremely sovereign over even our free, uncoerced choices, and so any Christian theology must handle this correctly, and that culls the herd of possibilities from thousands down to a few, maybe just two; Calvinism and Catholicism. And the tie-breaker goes to Catholicism,1 because of, among other things, Transubstantiation or remarriage after divorce, which are just two areas where the Church interprets the scriptures more literally than does Covenantalism. The Church takes the actual words the Savior spoke more seriously, IOW, than does the Reformed view, and that means Catholicism is more devoutly guided by Sola Scriptura than were the Westminster divines.

1 - They are otherwise tied, because the Catechism of the Catholic Church's teaching on the matter of faith "providence," and Calvinism's teaching on sovereignty at least wrt to unconditional and unilateral and monergistic election, both address the truth revealed in 2Ti2:25KJV correctly, either taking Sola Scriptura as a priori or as derived.
                        Last edited by Nihilo; September 20th, 2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X