ECT The Mission Launched at Pentecost

Interplanner

Besides the over 200 workers he had ready before Pentecost, a huge number were created that day. They returned home over the whole world (Roman) and now the message was the uncomplicated historical fact of God forgiving through Christ. It was a kickstart if there ever was one. All you had to do was recount the events that had just happenend in Jerusalem and it took care of itself, with zero Judaic complications even though you were a Jew expressing it.

why on earth would God save or convert 3000 people, mostly Jews, from all over the world, if he was going to offer a theocratic 2nd or 3rd episode of Judaism just to Israel all over again? He wasn't and that is MAD nonsense to think so. Instead he was launching his world mission, which had as its motto Is 52:15: to take a message to the nations so that 'those who had not heard may hear / those who had not seen may see.' (cp Rom 15).

It is facts and events like this that make me vomit MAD, every single thing I hear about it. It doesn't matter what 'spot' you are trying to find in early Acts, it is still D'ism, and is still utterly foreign to the NT, and appeals to people who want a quick route to be Bible know-it-alls, with all their answers to Zech 14 or Rev 13, without which the whole world stops.

COGTHW

8'But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.'
9 'As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.' Galatians 1:8-9 ; an other doctrine contrary to the Apostles is of the devil.

Obey Jesus Christ

Jerry Shugart

I don't expect any decent answer to this from D'ists, but they can try.

The mission began at Pentecost but was postponed when Israel rejected Jesus Christ as their promised Messiah. Here are Peter's words spoken to the nation of Israel on that day:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).

Since Israel rejected the Lord Jesus the Lord chose Paul to be the Apostle of the Gentiles and therefore the mission which depended on Israel was put on hold. A new stewardship or dispensation began with Paul during the Mid-Acts period of time.

SimpleMan77

The mission began at Pentecost but was postponed when Israel rejected Jesus Christ as their promised Messiah. Here are Peter's words spoken to the nation of Israel on that day:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).

Since Israel rejected the Lord Jesus the Lord chose Paul to be the Apostle of the Gentiles and therefore the mission which depended on Israel was put on hold. A new stewardship or dispensation began with Paul during the Mid-Acts period of time.

The Jews rejected Jesus way before that.

Matthew 23:37-39
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Jesus knew that the nation of Israel would reject his disciples, and warned them that they would. "If they rejected me, they'll reject you".

No, the great commission started methodically with the Jews, Samaritans, then the Gentiles. Just like Jesus told them in Acts 1:8

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Interplanner

NOnsense; Peter was talking about the Spirit at work right then and there.

Interplanner

All you are doing is trying to protect 2P2P which is an obnoxious imposition on NT doctrine.

Jerry Shugart

The Jews rejected Jesus way before that.

Yes, but they were given another chance to receive Him on the day of Pentecost, as witnessed by what I quoted from the lips of Peter.

The OT prophecies reveal that the Gentiles will be saved through the agency of the nation of Israel:

"Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you...Surely you will summon nations you know not, and nations that do not know you will hasten to you, because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has endowed you with splendor" (Isa.55:3,5; NIV).

Certainly this prophecy has not yet been fulfilled because at the present time the nation of Israel has not been endowed with splendor by the Lord.

The following prophecy also reveals that the Gentiles will be saved as a result of the agency of the Jews:

"And I will bring them (Israel), and they shall dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God, in truth and in righteousness...And it shall come to pass, that as ye were a curse among the heathen, O house of Judah, and house of Israel; so will I save you, and ye shall be a blessing...In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you" (Zech.8:8,13,23).

It is evident these prophecies are not now being fulfilled.

The mission which started on the day of Pentecost was put on hold until the nation of Israel will indeed be a blessing.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

:thumb: That was a very decent dispensational response to the OP.

Interplanner

Are you saying that Israel repented on the day of Pentecost?

there is no point in referring all of Israel doing this or that. The ones who believed and turned that day were invaded by the Spirit and became his light in the world along with some gentiles.

You frame many misconceived questions.

Interplanner

All you ever do is try to protect 1P1P which is an obnoxious imposition on the whole of Scripture.

Thats because the widest circulated letter said there was just one people of God in Christ, and because 2P2P is a phantomistic doctrine that never shows in NT thinking

SimpleMan77

The Mission Launched at Pentecost

Yes, but they were given another chance to receive Him on the day of Pentecost, as witnessed by what I quoted from the lips of Peter.

The OT prophecies reveal that the Gentiles will be saved through the agency of the nation of Israel:

"Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you...Surely you will summon nations you know not, and nations that do not know you will hasten to you, because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has endowed you with splendor" (Isa.55:3,5; NIV).

Certainly this prophecy has not yet been fulfilled because at the present time the nation of Israel has not been endowed with splendor by the Lord.

The following prophecy also reveals that the Gentiles will be saved as a result of the agency of the Jews:

"And I will bring them (Israel), and they shall dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God, in truth and in righteousness...And it shall come to pass, that as ye were a curse among the heathen, O house of Judah, and house of Israel; so will I save you, and ye shall be a blessing...In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you" (Zech.8:8,13,23).

It is evident these prophecies are not now being fulfilled.

The mission which started on the day of Pentecost was put on hold until the nation of Israel will indeed be a blessing.

I assume that you are aware that every Old Testament prophecy of Israel doesn't refer to the natural nation of Israel?

At the end of Paul's awesome defense of Grace over Mosaic Law (the book of Galatians), he made this statement:

Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

The two concepts go hand-in-glove. We aren't under Mosaic Law, and those "children of promise" (those saved by grace through faith) are the new Israel of God.

Last edited:

SimpleMan77

I suppose you realize the "refreshing" is referencing receiving the Holy Ghost. Essentially a rewording of Acts 2:38.
1) repentance
2) conversion and remission of sins
3) refreshing (infilling of the Holy Ghost).

Jerry Shugart

I assume that you are aware that every Old Testament prophecy of Israel doesn't refer to the natural nation of Israel?

You are wrong. This prophecy is indeed in regard to the natural nation of Israel:

It was Israel according to the flesh which was a curse and which will be a blessing.

Jerry Shugart

I suppose you realize the "refreshing" is referencing receiving the Holy Ghost. Essentially a rewording of Acts 2:38.
1) repentance
2) conversion and remission of sins
3) refreshing (infilling of the Holy Ghost).

So according to you the nation of Israel did repent? But why was the Lord Jesus not sent back?:

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).

Sent from my iPhone using TOL[/QUOTE]